Lose a stone in 21 days - C4 - Michael Moseley

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This is on tonight at 9pm. I'm expecting it to be a mix of LCHF and intermittent fasting.
Might be worth watching.

AndBreathe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've actually just watched this on iPlayer. I wasn't surprised to see the 800 calorie option in play, but I was quite surprised they were monitoring for nutritional ketosis.

@mikeyB - I'm not questioning your own preferences for approach, but I imagine tthe rapid weightloss could be quite motivational, in the first instance - especially when some people have tried weightloss regimes in the past, and failed. Success inspires.

I will be interested to see where they "go" after the three weeks they're looking at, because in an ideal world, some of the subjects would likely benefit from trimming off a bit more than a stone. that's not being judgemental or fattist about them. It's reflecting the stats recorded by Dr Moseley.

When I was diagnosed I didn't need to lose much weight, but the losses I did have were very rapid - not deliberately; it just seemed when I swerved the "big carbs" my love handles disappeared. I've not varied by more than +/-2kg since - even with my thyroid throwing itself off a metaphoric cliff. (I did get extremely lucky with that bit though!)

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've actually just watched this on iPlayer. I wasn't surprised to see the 800 calorie option in play, but I was quite surprised they were monitoring for nutritional ketosis.

@mikeyB - I'm not questioning your own preferences for approach, but I imagine tthe rapid weightloss could be quite motivational, in the first instance - especially when some people have tried weightloss regimes in the past, and failed. Success inspires.

I will be interested to see where they "go" after the three weeks they're looking at, because in an ideal world, some of the subjects would likely benefit from trimming off a bit more than a stone. that's not being judgemental or fattist about them. It's reflecting the stats recorded by Dr Moseley.

When I was diagnosed I didn't need to lose much weight, but the losses I did have were very rapid - not deliberately; it just seemed when I swerved the "big carbs" my love handles disappeared. I've not varied by more than +/-2kg since - even with my thyroid throwing itself off a metaphoric cliff. (I did get extremely lucky with that bit though!)
Like you I am/was a TOFI T2D and so went with Dr David Unwin's Low Carb approach rather than either the Newcastle Diet (800 Calories but Shakes based) or Dr Moseley's 800 Blood Sugar - real food version.
My weight fell steadily rather than rapidly between 1 and 2lbs per week every week for the first 3 to 4 months.
I tested for Ketones in urine (never found any), but the lack of hunger and the steady BG levels (measuring before and after every meal) kept me well motivated to this day.
I feel that complete fasting for up to 24hrs at a time is actually easier than feeling starving hungry every day until fat adapted. But then I do have to take >24hr fasts for my regular colonoscopies and have never been more than 2lbs into the 'overweight' BMI range, so have no experience of crash diets.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Worth watching if you want to lose a stone in a month. I don’t. I prefer to lose weight over a period of months, it’s easier and the weight stays off.

Slow & steady wins the race.

Wife is on course for 5 stone weight loss, taken 10 months & loss has been slow last couple of months but getting there.

Food has to be enjoyable otherwise old habits set in again.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For me, it’s all about putting new habits in place, and that takes time.

I was horrified that the Asian guy said he was hungry! Not good. And there seemed to be eating disorder potential among some of the participants. Not good either. I sincerely hope they all succeed in the long-term. (I lost 10 years of my life to an eating disorder, so I’m very mistrustful of the quick-fix approach).

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For me, it’s all about putting new habits in place, and that takes time.

I was horrified that the Asian guy said he was hungry! Not good. And there seemed to be eating disorder potential among some of the participants. Not good either. I sincerely hope they all succeed in the long-term. (I lost 10 years of my life to an eating disorder, so I’m very mistrustful of the quick-fix approach).
Well I would be hungry on only 800 Calories, until fat adapted.
That is why I didn't do Michael Moseley's 800 calories crash diet for my T2D, instead I just ate unlimited calories LCHF but avoided anything that my BG meter told me was bad for me. In the first couple of weeks (before I got fat adapted) I probably ate more calories than before because I was cutting carbs and eating higher fat content instead i.e. unlimited eggs, cheese plus lots of fatty cuts of meat, fatty fish, avocados, nuts etc. So I was never starving hungry.

Once fat adapted and having got used to eating more nutrient and Calorie dense food, I found I didn't need to eat so large a portion. Later still found I was not hungry before lunch and so morphed into Intermittent Fasting or Restricted Time Eating.
I really don't understand why people choose a route which requires hardship and willpower when they could choose the easy way instead. Willpower isn't infinite and if you are relying on it and run out you are in trouble! Much better to make your plan so as not to need the willpower in the first place!