Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ3333

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello,

I am a long term librelink user and while it is far from perfect, the fact that it notifies me when I go outside of my predefined levels, particularly at night, has been I'm sure a lifesaver.

However, since I changed phone, I am getting a permanent signal loss error. The only time it is not there is for a minute or so after I scan the device. This makes the sensor of so much less use to me and I would argue dangerous.

Abbott are a waste of space, I've had multiple trouble shooting sessions with them over the phone but they can't sort it (except to send me a sensor which means something else I have to remember particularly when starting a new sensor.

Latest from Abbott is that they are yet to upgrade the service to work with certain phones. This is ridiculous in itself, main is a mainstream phone that has been available in the UK for months - hundreds of thousands of these phones are probably out there.

I've raised with my healthcare team but haven't heard back, raised with Diabetes UK in frustration the other day and hoping for their response as surely this is a major safety issue?

Just wondering if I'm speaking to the wrong people and there is an easy fix...

Is your phone one on Abbott's list of compatible phones? If not then you don't really have any come back. Their main competitor has a much more limited list of compatible phones, so I don't necessarily think that Abbott can be expected to be compatible with every phone on the market. I believe there are unofficial 3rd party apps which may enable your phone, but I don't know enough to advise on which ones, assuming you are committed to your phone.
Abbott are a waste of space, I've had multiple trouble shooting sessions with them over the phone but they can't sort it (except to send me a sensor which means something else I have to remember particularly when starting a new sensor.

When you say, Abbott have sent you a sensor, I am guessing you mean a reader to use instead of your phone, if your phone is not supported and therefore they have enabled you to use their system again and get the alarms. I personally prefer the reader over LibreLink as it is far more reliable in my experience and small to carry and easy to use and most importantly the alarms work with it.

Libre is a fantastic piece of kit and a huge step forward from finger pricking all the time. It is a shame that your new phone isn't compatible but I suspect it is your responsibility to ensure your new phone is compatible before upgrading and I suspect you would be in a similar situation if you had the Dexcom system instead of Libre.

Do you mean a reader? That does sound like a reasonable solution from them to provide you a reader given your phone isn’t on the approved list.

I've raised with my healthcare team but haven't heard back, raised with Diabetes UK in frustration the other day and hoping for their response as surely this is a major safety issue?
I wouldn’t think it’s a safety issue at all. The phones that have been tested and found to be compatible are listed on abbots website.

Reactions: Kol
Apologies, yep they've sent me a reader.

Sounds like I'm in the wrong here for expecting a massive company to maintain their app for new phones / operating systems?

Lesson learned, don't get a new phone if you're diabetic

Apologies, yep they've sent me a reader.

Sounds like I'm in the wrong here for expecting a massive company to maintain their app for new phones / operating systems?

Lesson learned, don't get a new phone if you're diabetic
Hello, when was the last time you rebooted (restarted) your phone? If you Libre is BT tied to your reader? I have a feeling the BT will not tether to another device. I’ve suscessfully used phones not listed by Abbott.

Appreciate your reply, thank you.

I have done the reboot a couple of times after speaking with Abbott but no luck. My phone is a Google pixel 8.

Apologies, not sure what you mean by BT.

I was only previously using my phone but I now have a reader and my phone. Seems you can only use both if you do the first read with the reader but I've had the signal loss error on my phone either way ☹️

@NJ3333 are you on Android 14? I had to change phones latex October and brought a Google Pixel 6. At the same time I went from scanning to CGM. All was fine on Android 13 but I then got endless messages about going to 14. It has been a nightmare since with loss of signal, gaps in data, etc

It got to the point earlier in the week I ripped the bl**dy sensor off and binned it. I may try a new one later or I may eat a Hot-X bun instead! :rofl:

@NJ3333 are you on Android 14? I had to change phones latex October and brought a Google Pixel 6. At the same time I went from scanning to CGM. All was fine on Android 13 but I then got endless messages about going to 14. It has been a nightmare since with loss of signal, gaps in data, etc

It got to the point earlier in the week I ripped the bl**dy sensor off and binned it. I may try a new one later or I may eat a Hot-X bun instead! :rofl:
I feel your pain, it is so frustrating

Yep, Android 14. And if that is the issue, the number of users impacted will be even bigger...

I feel your pain, it is so frustrating

Yep, Android 14. And if that is the issue, the number of users impacted will be even bigger...

I cannot even access the Abbott approved phone list! Seems as flakey as my current sensor/phone set up!

Abbot404.png

Abbott Libre does not communicate with anything via Bluetooth. It uses NFC - near field communication, which is enabled by radio waves and as most of us know when we scan, you need the phone or the reader, pretty darn near! 🙂

Nob all to do with this query BUT since each sensor communicates via radio waves, the ironmongery within the sensor must have metal though Lor' knows what metal(s) so - bearing in mind you can't presumably therefore chuck it in the normal household waste or recycling bins, how do you dispose of them? Box says to see handbook. which handbook was that them ..... looked for it online, Page 82. Consult local disposal services to find out the answer. Ain't on our local authority website waste services section - so what have anyone else's local disposal service told them, please?

Abbott Libre does not communicate with anything via Bluetooth.
Libre 2 does! It requires NFC for initialising and scanning, but the alarms use Bluetooth (Bluetooth LE) and the same signal is now used for continuous updates (well, once a minute).
so what have anyone else's local disposal service told them
Haven't asked. I was told sharps container by the DSNs, but someone else said they'd been told to disinfect then dispose of as a battery.

Abbott Libre does not communicate with anything via Bluetooth
Bruce is right on this, it communicated through Bluetooth for the alarms on the reader and for the continuous readings and alarms on phones

Ain't on our local authority website waste services section - so what have anyone else's local disposal service told them, please?
Abbot website says to put used sensors in battery disposal. You can peel the sticky bit off first.

Bruce is right on this, it communicated through Bluetooth for the alarms on the reader and for the continuous readings and alarms on phones
Logically, the interpretation of the levels sent by the sensor via BT from the sensor would trigger the alarms if activated? on the librelink app. The default being on the low 3.9 & high being 13.3Mmol. (Which can be reset to personal desirable levels.)

Abbott Libre does not communicate with anything via Bluetooth. It uses NFC - near field communication, which is enabled by radio waves and as most of us know when we scan, you need the phone or the reader, pretty darn near! 🙂
From what heard with the Abbott reader. A little more forgiving than the close intimacy a phone needs with the sensor. Regarding the last 3 phones I used.
The Libre 2 acts as a CGM sending data by BT. So, by all accounts does the smaller Libre 3.(I’ve not had access to the Libre 3, yet.)

Abbot website says to put used sensors in battery disposal. You can peel the sticky bit off first.
I also poke out the inserted white triangle with the sometimes bloodied filament and put that in the sharps bin, rest in the battery bag

Re the ''signal loss' messages. Have recently had to send back 4 sensors that lost Bluetooth for CGM and Alarms. No ifo from Abbott on cause but presumably a bad batch or a change in internal Bluetooth aerial. Early ones had a circular Ring around the edge of the circle. Now it is the small aerial on the right of the sensor.

Attachments

• IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back