Let's learn how to bake/cook keto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it’s cooled and it’s out of the tin. Feels like it might be a bit squeaky like some of these loaves can be but I’ll find out in the morning.

Slashes across the top were my idea to try and control the shape a bit. Was a pain to kneed and didn’t really come together properly even with added water.

View attachment 19995View attachment 19994

I obviously have some catching up to do here. I hadn’t planned on going full keto but it’s beginning to look like the best option.

My quest is to find a keto recipe for bread that works every time. I have an ‘air fryer’ a microwave a ‘bullet’ blender and an electric grill. Hoping to find something perfect for the ‘air fryer’.

But today I plan to try some ‘vegetable fritters’ I have grated veggies and might try adding grated cheese and/or tuna to a few of them.

The problem - to ‘bind’ them - most recipes include eggs and a wheat base flour or breadcrumbs to do this. Eggs are fine - but flour? I don’t want to fail at my first hurdle.

These are the ingredients I currently have in my cupboard.

Lupin flour

Almond flour

Pea protein

Whey protein powder

Psyllium husks

Xanthium gum

Rolled oats and flour

Variety of seeds -

Pumpkin

Chia

Linseed

Sunflower

(And eggs)

I can also turn any of the seeds into flour in the bullet if necessary.

Any suggestions?

I obviously have some catching up to do here. I hadn’t planned on going full keto but it’s beginning to look like the best option.

My quest is to find a keto recipe for bread that works every time. I have an ‘air fryer’ a microwave a ‘bullet’ blender and an electric grill. Hoping to find something perfect for the ‘air fryer’.

But today I plan to try some ‘vegetable fritters’ I have grated veggies and might try adding grated cheese and/or tuna to a few of them.

The problem - to ‘bind’ them - most recipes include eggs and a wheat base flour or breadcrumbs to do this. Eggs are fine - but flour? I don’t want to fail at my first hurdle.

Lupin flour

Almond flour

Pea protein

Whey protein powder

Psyllium husks

Xanthium gum

Rolled oats and flour

Variety of seeds -

Pumpkin

Chia

Linseed

Sunflower

(And eggs)

Any suggestions?
Why not just use some of the almond flour to bind them?

Why not just use some of the almond flour to bind them?

Do you think it could work?
Any other suggestions?

Consensus on ‘Google’ seems to be that ‘alternative low carb flours’ are fine but without ‘gluten’ there needs to be an alternative way to ‘bind’ the ingredients.

I’m totally new to this. My daughter is a keto zealout but I’m just starting - mostly because of diabetes - but the more I look into it - and compare my BG readings to what I’ve recently eaten - the more keto looks like a good option.

You’re only making fritters so you just need a little something to bind the veg. Egg and grind almonds would be fine and it’s by far the cheapest option.
You could always use just grated cheese and make sort of fried cheese pancakes.

Had apples which needed using up so…. Basically it’s Nigella’s apple and almond cake but with obvious substitutions.
46A0DBAA-41D9-4D27-97E2-507A506F8D67.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 12.31.35 PM.pngMy super quick individual birthday cakes were to celebrate my daughter in law's 30th. She and my son are hundreds of miles away and I haven't seen them for more than three years now but that is no reason not to celebrate her special day.

Here they are. Made in ten minutes from scratch. Lemon sponge with cream and jam.
Recipe for the cakes are approximately - grated zest and juice of one lemon and a dessert spoon of granulated erythritol.
A splash of vanilla extract
A very small splash of caramel flavour
1 medium to large egg
2 tablespoons of double cream
A heaped teaspoon of baking powder
Beat these with fork in medium glass bowl.
Then add a teaspoon of psyllium powder
Two tablespoons of oat fibre
A quarter teaspoon of xanthan gum
1 tablespoon of coconut flour
2 tablespoons of almond flour or ground almonds.
Fold the powders in until you get a smooth cake batter. If it is more doughy than batter-like then add a little more cream to get the consistency.
Then divide the mixture into two silicone molds or two mugs and microwave each one for 90 seconds for a 900 watt microwave on full power. You may need to adjust time if you use a mug rather than silicone molds.
Immediately empty the cooked sponges onto a rack to cool and make the icing.
Once they cool enough to firm up a bit I split them with a long bread knife and left them to finish cooling completely.
I used double cream and powdered erythritol and eyeballed it. Around four tablespoons of cream and then added powdered erythritol which is an icing sugar sub and beat with a fork to ensure it melted completely and kept adding until it reached the desired buttercream consistency. Then I used half to fill inside the cooled split sponges.
Next I added some pink gel colouring to the other half of the icing and mixed it well.
I used a little keto strawberry jam on the inside and sandwiched them and then topped them with the pink icing.
These are lovely and tangy sponges and if you have them as dessert to a meal will probably serve two per sponge.
We had one each. Yum.

Lupin flour

Almond flour

Pea protein

Whey protein powder

Psyllium husks

Xanthium gum

Rolled oats and flour

Variety of seeds -

Pumpkin

Chia

Linseed

Sunflower

(And eggs)

Any suggestions?
Sorry I haven't been on this thread for ages. Life has been a bit fraught and fingers crossed starting to settle down.
It is probably too late but I saw you have pea protein and eggs.

Pea protein and eggs together make a fantastic crispy batter for coating fish or anything else you want to fry.
So if you mash up your veg and mix with ground flax seeds to make the inside of your fritters and then mix one egg with 9g of pea protein and roll your balls of veg in it so they are well coated and then 'fry' you should get a very acceptable result.

View attachment 21169My super quick individual birthday cakes were to celebrate my daughter in law's 30th. She and my son are hundreds of miles away and I haven't seen them for more than three years now but that is no reason not to celebrate her special day.

Here they are. Made in ten minutes from scratch. Lemon sponge with cream and jam.
Recipe for the cakes are approximately - grated zest and juice of one lemon and a dessert spoon of granulated erythritol.
A splash of vanilla extract
A very small splash of caramel flavour
1 medium to large egg
2 tablespoons of double cream
A heaped teaspoon of baking powder
Beat these with fork in medium glass bowl.
Then add a teaspoon of psyllium powder
Two tablespoons of oat fibre
A quarter teaspoon of xanthan gum
1 tablespoon of coconut flour
2 tablespoons of almond flour or ground almonds.
Fold the powders in until you get a smooth cake batter. If it is more doughy than batter-like then add a little more cream to get the consistency.
Then divide the mixture into two silicone molds or two mugs and microwave each one for 90 seconds for a 900 watt microwave on full power. You may need to adjust time if you use a mug rather than silicone molds.
Immediately empty the cooked sponges onto a rack to cool and make the icing.
Once they cool enough to firm up a bit I split them with a long bread knife and left them to finish cooling completely.
I used double cream and powdered erythritol and eyeballed it. Around four tablespoons of cream and then added powdered erythritol which is an icing sugar sub and beat with a fork to ensure it melted completely and kept adding until it reached the desired buttercream consistency. Then I used half to fill inside the cooled split sponges.
Next I added some pink gel colouring to the other half of the icing and mixed it well.
I used a little keto strawberry jam on the inside and sandwiched them and then topped them with the pink icing.
These are lovely and tangy sponges and if you have them as dessert to a meal will probably serve two per sponge.
We had one each. Yum.
They look delicious

Lupin flour

Almond flour

Pea protein

Whey protein powder

Psyllium husks

Xanthium gum

Rolled oats and flour

Variety of seeds -

Pumpkin

Chia

Linseed

Sunflower

(And eggs)

Any suggestions?

Xanthan gum or guar gum for me.
Almond flour, coconut flour, chick pea flour.

But unfortunately I enjoy cooking, all these "quick" or "microwave mug" recipes really turn me off.
I'm back to real bread, made the old fashioned way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back