Let's learn how to bake/cook keto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good exercise too.

@AnnSebastian The bullet blender will cut through the long strings of protein in the egg white which help to trap the air, so I think it might end up having the opposite effect to what you hope for.
Just looked on Google and nutribullet say that if you try to whisk egg whites in one it’ll go rubbery.

You need air to whisk egg whites and you won’t get enough air into a bullet blender cup.
Just go old school and use a bowl and a balloon whisk (which is just a normal whisk) and, erm, whisk ‘em up until they’re fluffy. You could do it with just a fork but it’s much quicker to use a whisk 🙂

I have arthritis in my hands so whisking eggs by hand doesn’t sound like a plan for me. But I do have a stick blender - which is like a hand but faster?

Again hope I’m putting this in the right place. I’m aiming to find a way to make my own low carb/keto bread. One thing I have found is ‘psyllium husk powder’ of all the ingredients I’ve found to replace gluten and bind things together this looks like a good bet. Still planning to make my lupin bread - I might replace one of the eggs with psyllium husk to see if it works?

Hi Ann, I've found a recipe here for eggless lupin flour bread, but it's got xantham gum in, rather than psyllium husk, but I found somewhere and made a note of it that you can substitute 1 part of xanthan gum with 2 parts of psyllium husk. Also the recipe calls for whey isolate, and I have no idea what that is.
Let us know how it goes. The lupin flour is v expensive though!

Hi Ann, I've found a recipe here for eggless lupin flour bread, but it's got xantham gum in, rather than psyllium husk, but I found somewhere and made a note of it that you can substitute 1 part of xanthan gum with 2 parts of psyllium husk. Also the recipe calls for whey isolate, and I have no idea what that is.
Let us know how it goes. The lupin flour is v expensive though!

Yes. Very very expensive. I’ll do one recipe with the exact ingredients. If that turns out well I could try mixing lupin flour with other low carb flours. It will probably take me at least a week to get round to it but I’ll post any results.

I’ve never been a fan of artificial sweeteners - and many of the ingredients for low carb recipes have really unappealing names. Stupid to let that bother me I know - but I’ll adjust eventually. I’ve used psyllium husk for other things in the past so I’ll start with that.

Yes. Very very expensive. I’ll do one recipe with the exact ingredients. If that turns out well I could try mixing lupin flour with other low carb flours. It will probably take me at least a week to get round to it but I’ll post any results.

I’ve never been a fan of artificial sweeteners - and many of the ingredients for low carb recipes have really unappealing names. Stupid to let that bother me I know - but I’ll adjust eventually. I’ve used psyllium husk for other things in the past so I’ll start with that.

I just checked out the recipe. It does look quite interesting and worth a try. I’ll google to see if / how to swap xanthium gum with psyllium.

I’m starting with the basics. I need to stop relying on ordinary bread. I’m addicted to ‘seeded loaves’. Yumm. I’m working hard to get my BG average and A1C down to non-diabetic levels. And then lose some weight. Once I’ve done those two things I’ll put some energy into recipes. For now I’m not cooking much - apart from batches of veggie soup. I’m using protein bars to satisfy my need for sweet stuff. Trying to stick to one or less a day though. Grenade Carb Killas are the best I’ve found - pretty well balanced but pricey. I’m not a big fan of alternative sweeteners but I can put up with them when they taste as good as these do.
Actually you should be careful with Grenade Carb Killa bars, because unfortunately their sweetener is maltitol, which essentially has 50-60% sugar effect.

It's best to look for bars that have these sweeteners - erythritol (the best), monk fruit extract, stevia, xylitol, inulin. This a great resource that illustrates a comparison of the sweeteners.

Your best bet would be to head over to Planet Organic, where they have quite a few bars (like Pulsin, Fatt, Locako, Planet Organic own brand) that have the above mentioned natural sweeteners that don't spike your BG. Also they're price is the same or lower than Grenade Carb Killa.

Actually you should be careful with Grenade Carb Killa bars, because unfortunately their sweetener is maltitol, which essentially has 50-60% sugar effect.

It's best to look for bars that have these sweeteners - erythritol (the best), monk fruit extract, stevia, xylitol, inulin. This a great resource that illustrates a comparison of the sweeteners.

Your best bet would be to head over to Planet Organic, where they have quite a few bars (like Pulsin, Fatt, Locako, Planet Organic own brand) that have the above mentioned natural sweeteners that don't spike your BG. Also they're price is the same or lower than Grenade Carb Killa.

I try to restrict my protein bar consumption to less than one a day. I’ve always had an aversion to the idea of artificial sweeteners so I keep away from them most of the time. But a protein bar that has more protein and fats than carbs serves an occasional purpose for me.

Ann

I try to restrict my protein bar consumption to less than one a day. I’ve always had an aversion to the idea of artificial sweeteners so I keep away from them most of the time. But a protein bar that has more protein and fats than carbs serves an occasional purpose for me.

Ann
Makes sense! I think important to know though is that sometimes though there can be some misconception about which sweeteners are artificial. For example, erythritol can actually be found in a lot of different fruits (grapes, watermelon), and the reason why it doesn't spike your glucose levels is because its molecule is structured differently (from the one in regular sugar), so the digestive track doesn't digest it at all (source here).

Makes sense! I think important to know though is that sometimes though there can be some misconception about which sweeteners are artificial. For example, erythritol can actually be found in a lot of different fruits (grapes, watermelon), and the reason why it doesn't spike your glucose levels is because its molecule is structured differently (from the one in regular sugar), so the digestive track doesn't digest it at all (source here).
I have also seen that some of the erythritol on sale is a combination with other stuff as well so not 100% erythritol so that may make a difference.

Delivery yesterday of 1kg of lupin flour and of psyllium husk powder.
Time to bake bread I think.

I’m popping out to get yeast but I’ve got maple syrup and almond and coconut flours, vial wheat gluten, xantham gum, tonnes of seeds etc in the pantry already. I’ll pick up more eggs and maybe some quark or Greek yogurt and see what I can knock up.

Any tried and tested lupin flour bread recipes with or without yeast would be appreciated however!

Makes sense! I think important to know though is that sometimes though there can be some misconception about which sweeteners are artificial. For example, erythritol can actually be found in a lot of different fruits (grapes, watermelon), and the reason why it doesn't spike your glucose levels is because its molecule is structured differently (from the one in regular sugar), so the digestive track doesn't digest it at all (source here

I’m popping out to get yeast but I’ve got maple syrup and almond and coconut flours, vial wheat gluten, xantham gum, tonnes of seeds etc in the pantry already. I’ll pick up more eggs and maybe some quark or Greek yogurt and see what I can knock up.

Any tried and tested lupin flour bread recipes with or without yeast would be appreciated however!

This is the recipe my daughter used but she left out the sweetener.

363319EA-A5E8-469F-8660-7E799C621EB9.jpeg

The photos are of her results.

DB5C9F44-0FAC-4D8B-B060-0C075A35268A.jpeg
363319EA-A5E8-469F-8660-7E799C621EB9.jpeg

I've always used xantham gym with good results.
Beating egg whites, - an old school food mixer works well, just the handheld one in a mixing bowl gives perfect results.

This is currently cooling. Looks ok but unless it’s truly exceptional I won’t bother again with this specific recipe because it’s way too expensive to make as lupin flour isn’t cheap!

https://www.thehungryelephant.ca/2021/05/24/keto-lupin-flour-with-vital-wheat-gluten/

I’ll post pics when it’s (hopefully) out of the tin in one piece.

I’ll knock up a standard seeded loaf over the weekend or might redo Dr. Berg’s Healthiest Bread Ever recipe.

Well it’s cooled and it’s out of the tin. Feels like it might be a bit squeaky like some of these loaves can be but I’ll find out in the morning.

Slashes across the top were my idea to try and control the shape a bit. Was a pain to kneed and didn’t really come together properly even with added water.

9A8E7834-55D8-48B5-8B77-9BDD4492693E.jpeg5F691D5B-7B98-4725-AE2F-74C07AE2019D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back