Keeping the weight off and low-carb vegetarian diets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to thank everyone that contributed in this thread, I have taken all of your advice and my outlook on diabetes and my dietary requirements have changed considerably! Not to take anything away from the stellar diabetic staff in the NHS but this is the single greatest improvement to my lifestyle/diabetes control since they put a couple of pens of insulin in my hand 7 years ago (I am not even over exaggerating).

My body went a bit funny for the first couple of days which is probably from the shock of not as many carbohydrates in my system and I had an absolutely blistering headache on that day too, but I have sorted that out now. I have lowered my back ground insulin by 4 units (28 to 24) and my glucose levels aren't dropping considerably during the day, on Sunday I ate probably 30g(?) of carbohydrates max and my glucose levels were a solid 5 to 6.5 throughout the entire day which is absolutely incredible for me as it tended to fluctuate between 7 and 11.5 every 2-3hr periods (and i thought that was acceptable because I was carb counting!!) I know I have only been doing this for a week but I remain extremely optimistic about my future!

My biggest surprise was not being hungry at all after having low carbohydrate meals. I guess having an overly nutritious meal with veggies and protein is much better than having a "heavy" meal to fill your belly.

Anyway, I digress, Thanks everyone for all of the tips/advice and the links to some great resources 🙂, I believe it is time for me to increase my cooking repertoire 🙂

Good to hear it's working for you so far - here's hoping it also helps with your weight-loss goals too as well as your blood sugar control ones.

As you say, one of the lesser-documented side-effects of cutting back on carbs is the need to increase your cooking repertoire - you will probably find you start making far more meals from scratch and from a wider range food types, which in itself is likely to be healthier anyway regardless of carb content.

My biggest surprise was not being hungry at all after having low carbohydrate meals
Congratulations, well done....

As the old saying goes "carbs crave carbs"... The fat in the meal sates the appetite, as a consequence one feels less hungry & portion sizes are somewhat smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back