just the nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Aviva Nano. You can get one free from Roche. Ring the care line for free on 0800 701000 and quote the code C0809. If they ask you say you saw their advert in Sweet Magazine. The web link is http://accu-chek.co.uk/nano

If it helps, the finger pricker with the Aviva Nano has the lancets in a small drum. It is the least painful finger pricker I have used. No risk of accidentally stabbing anyone.

I've got a nano too. The lancets last forever - you can use them many times. I got a box full when I was diagnosed 18 months ago and I'm still only half way through them.

Yep, just found my old pen too - still has insulin in it 😱

I really need to start throwing stuff away (although I think that's one for the chemists to dispose of!). It's been over 7 years since I used that.

Also found my monitoring diary, interesting reading!

Cant find test strips for the nano on eBay, is there a shop that sells them cheaply?

Lisa
Even if swimming is not possible, walking in water would give more resistance than walking on ground, so perhaps that or aqua-aerobics would be worth trying?
Regarding your social phobia / agoraphobia, I wonder if all female pool session would be any more acceptable to you? Also, many areas have special sessions for female Moslems, who wear special all-over body costumes, which might be less embarrassing as you don't want to wear a cossie in public? Obvously that might not be appropriate to you nor your area, but just trying to think of other possible solutions.
I'm still using lancets that were prescribed back in 2003, long past their "use by" date, but no need to throw away, although even I wouldn't want to inject from an insuline cartridge that's been open and out of fridge for 7 years!

I've got an Aviva Nano. You can get one free from Roche. Ring the care line for free on 0800 701000 and quote the code C0809. If they ask you say you saw their advert in Sweet Magazine. The web link is http://accu-chek.co.uk/nano

If it helps, the finger pricker with the Aviva Nano has the lancets in a small drum. It is the least painful finger pricker I have used. No risk of accidentally stabbing anyone.

Now you tell me! 😡 I've just bought one of these for ?15ish from Boots. Came with finger pricker, lancets and ten test strips. I like it and it's easy to use.

I've used up the strips that came with it and I'm looking for more (cheap). I've got my eye on ebay at the moment

Anita

Now you tell me! 😡 I've just bought one of these for ?15ish from Boots. Came with finger pricker, lancets and ten test strips. I like it and it's easy to use.

I've used up the strips that came with it and I'm looking for more (cheap). I've got my eye on ebay at the moment

Anita

Sorry to hear that Anita. Phone up for a spare meter. And get the download software/hardware, batteries and control soloutions too.

Thank you! :D

Just so I know, how often should I be testing? I'm guessing (judging by my old diary) it should be upon waking, then after each meal?

Just trying to work out how long the strips will last and which will work out the cheapest. Sorry for being such a pain in the bum.

My sister (lives over the road) just sent round her son's Pocketscan machine (he's prone to ketotic hypoglycaemia if he's poorly, he's not diabetic). No strips for it though, but lots of lancets - something to get started with (if I can find the strips online). I'll still probably pick up a new one though so I can give this back.

Hi Lisa, yes, i'd say on waking. You'll probably end up using more strips initially as you work out how different meals affect you, but as time goes on you will not need to test for familiar meals as you'll know if they are OK.

The recommended time to test is 2 hours after eating to try and see the high point of your levels, but it's a bit trial and error as it depends on the type of food being eaten. Some people test after one hour, then two hours to see if there is rise and fall, or just rise, between those times.

Thank you! :D

Just so I know, how often should I be testing? I'm guessing (judging by my old diary) it should be upon waking, then after each meal?

Just trying to work out how long the strips will last and which will work out the cheapest. Sorry for being such a pain in the bum.

My sister (lives over the road) just sent round her son's Pocketscan machine (he's prone to ketotic hypoglycaemia if he's poorly, he's not diabetic). No strips for it though, but lots of lancets - something to get started with (if I can find the strips online). I'll still probably pick up a new one though so I can give this back.

There is an American website called Bloodsugar101.

On it there is a page called Diabetes on a Budget which is really helpful. There are other links off that page that are usefull too.

Just used the pocketscan as my info for the one touch site, and it's offering me three different one touch meters.

One Touch Ultra Easy
One Touch Vita
One Touch Ultra Smart

I can get the test strips for the two Ultras cheap on eBay from what I can see (about ?12-15 for 50), but there are no strips for the Vita (other than in the US).

They are also offering a free One Touch Comfort lancing device.

Also, you don't need to do everything at once - you might want to test on waking, then after breakfast for a week, with different breakfast foods, then move on to lunch the next week. It's different when you're on insulin as you need to know how much to inject before each meal.

Oh that's good, that makes sense as I can then alter my diet to suit without panicing about them all at once 🙂

Thanks for the links to the diabetes pages too - I've got lots to read now!

Hi Lisa, yes, i'd say on waking. You'll probably end up using more strips initially as you work out how different meals affect you, but as time goes on you will not need to test for familiar meals as you'll know if they are OK.

The recommended time to test is 2 hours after eating to try and see the high point of your levels, but it's a bit trial and error as it depends on the type of food being eaten. Some people test after one hour, then two hours to see if there is rise and fall, or just rise, between those times.

I test first thing in the morning and when I eat something new.

For example I always measure out my porridge and milk in the morning because I can almost certainly repeat what my BG will roughtly be two hours later without having to waste a strip.

I hope that helps.

Thank you - it really does help.

I've ordered the One Touch Ultra Easy (in pink, of course lol). Says it'll take up to 28 days to get here, so in the meantime I'll start looking into diet a bit more.

I'm definitely losing weight on the diet I'm on now, but it's not a low carb diet, just a low-ish GI one. At least I think I'm doing it right, they just handed me a sheet and left me to it!

On a plus note, the thirst seems to be getting less severe now.

Good news about the thirst Lisa! I realised recently that I haven't had to get up in the night to go to the loo. I guess it must have taken a while fr my body to finally adjust to my better levels. Hope it's the same with you, and your body is in 'recovery'🙂

Me neither, I used to be a regular 3am toilet trip kinda gal :D

Glad you're feeling better too xx

I too am fairly newly diagnosed (October 2009) and i had my first diabetic review last week and was told, "see you in 6 months time" by my diabetic nurse but she said i can make an appointment to see her and my GP anytime i want. I too am diet/excercise controlled. I am due to attend the DESMOND programme at the end of this month, details of how to attend were given to me my by DN. Even though i will obviously been seen twice a year, the rest of the time is up to me to look after myself but the DN did say to me that i was lucky because some practices only check their patients once a year rather than twice.

Thank you - it really does help.

I've ordered the One Touch Ultra Easy (in pink, of course lol). Says it'll take up to 28 days to get here, so in the meantime I'll start looking into diet a bit more.

I'm definitely losing weight on the diet I'm on now, but it's not a low carb diet, just a low-ish GI one. At least I think I'm doing it right, they just handed me a sheet and left me to it!

On a plus note, the thirst seems to be getting less severe now.

What I find important is to look at the trends. I'd not worry too much about the readings for the first week or so. If the numbers level off to something you think is too high you can ask about what can be done to help. If the numbers are how you want them then you're doing something right!

If I woke up with a really high reading one day I'd wonder why. Did I eat too much or too late the previous night.

I still remember my first really high morning reading, it was after I had been to my mother's and at about 1am I had a kebab on the way home. I now avoid kebabs!🙂

I also learned to reduce my carb intake. I still have pasta and rice and bread and potatoes. However I know how much I can eat of these without sending my blood glucose through the roof.

And the best bit is if your numbers are stable you can have the odd sin and get away with it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back