Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little confused about cutting carbs for a child. As i understand it, if you were to cut out all carbs your body would produce ketones (starvation ketones) - but this would alert a parent into thinking it could be the dangerous ketones (dka) - and there may even be a possibility of a parent thinking that they were starvation ketones - but actually they were dka ketones - therefore masking a potentially dangerous situation.
If i told our clinic that A had ketones - they would go into panic mode and probably have him admitted if they were high - so it would be very hard to do this with a child i think. Also, i am in the school of thought that everything should be a balance - so a bit of carb and protein and fruit and veg and a small amount of dairy. I am sorry - but i dont agree that children should have their diets restricted - whilst they are growing i feel that they need carbs (in moderation of course) to help them grow. I did ask at our clinic about this very subject and they said a child does need some carbs and not to restrict them (within reason). I dont think we can compare the lifestyles of our children to the lifestyles of Eskimo children.🙂Bev

Dear Bev,

I would not dream of trying to convince you that what you are doing is wrong - all I'm saying is that there is more than one way to stay healthy, DUKs opinion that one size fits all is wrong a controlled carb approach is just as viable as one containing carbs, and ofcourse type 1s can always "cover" them. There is no way that we can feed the people of this planet without carbs - I wish it wasn't so but it is!

Warmest Regards Dodger

I think you make a good point Bev - we are not Eskimos, and neither are our children. There are genetic strengths that Eskimos have and there are also genetic weaknesses - whilst we are extremely similar being humans, we vary quite a lot in what we can tolerate or need in our diets. A good example is the Asian (particularly Far East) inability to process alcohol. OK alcohol may be bad for you in excess, but it illustrates that some humans are different to others, if you see what I mean!:confused:

Didn't I ever tell you guys i'm a throat singing inuit from Greenland?

I think you make a good point Bev - we are not Eskimos, and neither are our children. There are genetic strengths that Eskimos have and there are also genetic weaknesses - whilst we are extremely similar being humans, we vary quite a lot in what we can tolerate or need in our diets. A good example is the Asian (particularly Far East) inability to process alcohol. OK alcohol may be bad for you in excess, but it illustrates that some humans are different to others, if you see what I mean!:confused:

I was trying to think of differences between various communities - but i just couldnt think of any - so thanks Northerner! I dont think its helpful to compare different races/communties because, like you say, there are far too many variables in lifestyles and genetics that make it difficult for us to compare one with another.🙂
Dodger i didnt think you were trying to tell me i was wrong - sorry if i gave you that impression! 🙂I do think that carbs can be restricted to a degree if your an adult (and of course its personal preference) - i am just not sure there is enough evidence/research to suggest that its alright to take the same approach with children. If there is in the future i would think seriously about changing things - but as it stands at the moment i think we should follow our clinics advice. Interesting debate though!🙂Bev

Dear Northerner,

What you say is true - but the differences are in the detail e.g alcohol tolerance. BTW westerners have lived with the Eskimos for many years and lived without carbohydrates. Low or controlled carbs is an alternative which for diabetics can have significant advantages. Who decides to adopt this approach is another question - one in which we cannot offer advice.

Regards Dodger

Me too ... as we're Twins Twin 😉🙄

there's a book about us:
book-_eskimo_twins-144x192.jpg

and there is a band called the eskimo twins too lol.

there's a book about us:
book-_eskimo_twins-144x192.jpg

and there is a band called the eskimo twins too lol.

Hahahaha Hmm that was me before I went blonde obv then Twin 🙄

I might search the band on youtube now Twin , any good? Ooops off topic .... Erm .. I restrict Carbs 😉

http://www.myspace.com/eskimotwins

just listened and i really liked them, not sure if you like electro though?

ehem anyway we better leave the thread now hehe

edit: lol just noticed they are a friend of this guy i know who makes electro music, it's a small world!

Oh Dodger , I do hope you realise what you've started!:D

sigh!😉

Sorry for the divergence of the thread, too many lateral thinkers on this site sometimes!:D

Ooops sorry Northerner 😱 I'm going now .. Erm I did say Carbs in a post tho to keep it on topic

Oh Dodger , I do hope you realise what you've started!:D

sigh!😉

Sorry for the divergence of the thread, too many lateral thinkers on this site sometimes!:D

Dear Northerner,

I think I do now, I'm listening to the Eskimo Twins as I write this - it's not my sort of music, I can't even imagine why you and our twins like it! Oh well it's your world now - not mine. End of divergence?

Warmest Regards Dodger

I am a little confused about cutting carbs for a child. As i understand it, if you were to cut out all carbs your body would produce ketones (starvation ketones) - but this would alert a parent into thinking it could be the dangerous ketones (dka) - and there may even be a possibility of a parent thinking that they were starvation ketones - but actually they were dka ketones - therefore masking a potentially dangerous situation.
Bev

Hi Bev , Starvation Ketones are a normal bodily process for using fat stores , also Starvation Ketones are NOT accompanied by high Glucose levels .
Ketones (the nasty DKA ones ) you would have noticed higher Glucose levels and usually ( not always) the Diabetic would have started to feel unwell with other symptoms of possible DKA.

Hi Bev , Starvation Ketones are a normal bodily process for using fat stores , also Starvation Ketones are NOT accompanied by high Glucose levels .
Ketones (the nasty DKA ones ) you would have noticed higher Glucose levels and usually ( not always) the Diabetic would have started to feel unwell with other symptoms of possible DKA.

I think bev is right to be cautious though. With the erratic levels of childhood, it would be tricky knowing what was causing them, so better to avoid the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back