Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am thinking of joining Slimming World, just having a look at their website and looked in the FAQ's to see if it is suitab;e for diabetes and this is what i found:

Q: I have diabetes. Can I still Food Optimise?

A: Yes. Food Optimising provides a healthy, balanced diet. Diabetes UK suggests that people with diabetes follow the same healthy, balanced diet recommended for the population as a whole. In general it is recommended that people with diabetes base meals and snacks around plenty of starchy foods. This is easily achieved when Food Optimising.

As with all medical conditions, it is important to follow the medical and dietary advice given by your health care team. For example some people with diabetes may be given specific advice on the amount of certain foods they should eat, so it is important to bear this in mind when choosing your Free Foods. Our Consultants cannot give specific advice relating to medical conditions, but they will be able to help you incorporate any dietary recommendations into your Food Optimising and support you in your weight management. Many of our members with diabetes have found their blood glucose levels and general health have improved significantly since following Food Optimising and a number also report that they require less medication now they have lost weight.

I was told to avoid starchy foods im sure?

Julie xx

High-starch foods like rice, potatoes, gravy and breakfast cereals are converted into sugar during the digestion process, adding to the glucose load, so was i also told to avoid starch , hmmmm thats puzzling now :confused::confused:

Hmm I was told to base all meals around Starches /Carbs 😱 Obviously I personally chose to ignore that advice 🙄 I find a Lower Carb diet works well for me.

High-starch foods like rice, potatoes, gravy and breakfast cereals are converted into sugar during the digestion process, adding to the glucose load, so was i also told to avoid starch , hmmmm thats puzzling now :confused::confused:

Dear Julie and Steff,

You have it absolutely right All carbohydrates will cause problems with BS control especially if eaten in large amounts. The science behind my statements is absolutely clear - carbohydrates are bad news. DUK cannot see this even though I've shown them the science behind the problem

Warmest Regards Dodger

Hi All...

I'm confused....:confused:...thats not hard to do either...lol....With Nathan I was told too base his meals around carb and starch.....about a quarter of a plate...half plate veg...the remaining quarter protien, fats, sugars..

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Dodger, just noticed you are in Alsager, we are neighbours! I'm in stoke.

i tried no carbs the other day but felt really poorly, think ill have to be weaned off! Don't know bout SW now as the information is incorrect and they will put me on the wrong diet..

Heidi, it might be different for children, i don't know, i'm sure Gabi said that little Katie has carbs.

Julie x

I think the bottom line is that diet is a minefield for diabetics. Don't forget the mantra 'We are all different'! What you are aiming for, in my opinion, is the right balance of nutrients and goodies that suits your tastes, your BG levels and your lifestyle. This is bound to lead to compromises, and you have to make the call personally after experiencing how the foods you want to eat affect you as a diabetic. Some you may have to reduce, some may be OK, and some you may have to cut out altogether. I think the basic idea of a 'balanced diet' is a good starting point - a good mix of food types and colours - but then tailor this to how YOUR body behaves. I wish it was more straightforward, I really do!🙂

i tried no carbs the other day but felt really poorly, think ill have to be weaned off! Don't know bout SW now as the information is incorrect and they will put me on the wrong diet..

Heidi, it might be different for children, i don't know, i'm sure Gabi said that little Katie has carbs.

Julie x

Hi Julie..

I do think it is a little different for children..as they are growing and need there carbs for energy..

Heidi
xx:D

Just a thought...Regarding certain foods and colours are not meant to be eaten together...I'm sure I have read this somewhere..But as Northerner says its all about balance and whats right for one may not be for another.

Heidi
xx🙂

I really don't understand DUK's advice on diet, especially towards people with type 2's. It's one thing to say 'just eat a healthy balanced diet' but to say 'base meals around starchy foods' seems crazy. If an overweight person has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes the chances are they are consuming too many carbs and DUK know for a fact that too many carbs is a bad idea if you want to lower your blood glucose level. So why don't they at least tell people to follow a balanced diet?

Hi Julie..

I do think it is a little different for children..as they are growing and need there carbs for energy..

Heidi
xx:D

Dear sasha1,

You are correct children need energy because they are growing. The only thing is that they do not need to get it from carbohydrates. I can't offer dietary or medical advice but consider traditional Eskimos their children never eat any carbs and yet they grow up healthily.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Last edited:
I really don't understand DUK's advice on diet, especially towards people with type 2's. It's one thing to say 'just eat a healthy balanced diet' but to say 'base meals around starchy foods' seems crazy. If an overweight person has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes the chances are they are consuming too many carbs and DUK know for a fact that too many carbs is a bad idea if you want to lower your blood glucose level. So why don't they at least tell people to follow a balanced diet?

My guess is that they think people are a bit thick, and they're trying to wean them off eating fatty foods by suggesting other bulk foods that aren't fatty - I think organisations are often a bit patronising in what they perceive as people's ability to understand stuff. Mind you, having said that I have met some extremely thick people in my time - from all classes and education levels!

My guess is that they think people are a bit thick, and they're trying to wean them off eating fatty foods by suggesting other bulk foods that aren't fatty - I think organisations are often a bit patronising in what they perceive as people's ability to understand stuff. Mind you, having said that I have met some extremely thick people in my time - from all classes and education levels!

hehe that's funny because my diabetes center at the hospital did some research into how well patients understand medical instructions etcs and I did REALLY badly :D I did really badly at the spelling part. I remember sitting there trying to correct these words but they looked like they were spelt correctly, so I spelt them in a way that looked wrong to me in a bid to get the question right, but think they must have been 'trick' questions and I was just unsure of myself haha oops.

Slightly off topic there sorry...

Julie x

Dear Proudspirit,

Yes I noticed some time ago that we are neighbours - I just forgot to mention it, sorry. Anyway, cutting carbs drastically can make some people feel dreadful for up to a week, gradually lowering them can help. Your body cannot switch to using fat for fuel until all your store of glycogen has been used up. A sure fire way of knowing when you are utilising fat is the presence of ketones note this is not the same as ketoacidosis that type 1s are rightfully wary of.

Warmest Regards Dodger

BTW I was born in Stoke-on-Trent (Meir)

Dear sasha1,

You are correct children need energy because they are growing. The only thing is that they do not need to get it from carbohydrates. I can't offer dietary or medical advice but consider traditional Eskimos their children never eat any carbs and yet they grow up healthily.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Hi Dodger...

I do try to not restrict..or overload Nathan with carbs...for instance...when Nathan was first diagnosed I was told to give him bread with each meal..regardless of the amount of carb he was having incorporated in the meal....The only time he eats bread is either at lunch or supper...potatoes are'nt given everyday...nor pasta.. He eats wholegrain cereal..shredded wheat or wheatabix...The majority of his meal consists of large amounts of veg, plenty of chicken or fish..and fruit... As Nathan is a little on the chunkier side....although he is growing rapidly and has lost quiet a bit of weight over the past 4 mths or so ....which is brilliant...and good for insulin resistance and for his overall health... I am conciously trying to find other alternatives for him to eat...rather than to many carbs..

Heidi
xx🙂

i think your right about balanced diet , but no one ever says about excercise , which in iys self is about as important as the food we eat

i think your right about balanced diet , but no one ever says about excercise , which in iys self is about as important as the food we eat

Absolutely agree with you there grandad10 - supporting people in exercise programs is too often overlooked, and can be invaluable in helping BG control!

Hi Dodger...

I do try to not restrict..or overload Nathan with carbs...for instance...when Nathan was first diagnosed I was told to give him bread with each meal..regardless of the amount of carb he was having incorporated in the meal....The only time he eats bread is either at lunch or supper...potatoes are'nt given everyday...nor pasta.. He eats wholegrain cereal..shredded wheat or wheatabix...The majority of his meal consists of large amounts of veg, plenty of chicken or fish..and fruit... As Nathan is a little on the chunkier side....although he is growing rapidly and has lost quiet a bit of weight over the past 4 mths or so ....which is brilliant...and good for insulin resistance and for his overall health... I am conciously trying to find other alternatives for him to eat...rather than to many carbs..

Heidi
xx🙂

Dear Heidi,

I am in absolute awe of all the parents on this forum. Being a mere man I cannot begin to understand what it must be like for you all, your children are very lucky to have you.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Dear Heidi,

I am in absolute awe of all the parents on this forum. Being a mere man I cannot begin to understand what it must be like for you all, your children are very lucky to have you.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Thank you Dodger..for your kind words..they certainly mean a lot and to the other parents on the forum...xx🙂..... All that matters to me as Nathans mam, is his happiness and health..and the education, knowledge that I can arm him with regarding his diabetes and control of the rest of his life.. In a way brain training.. Besides I would like him to have the optimum health and control... Hopefully that will stand him in the best possible position.. to such time a cure or alternative treatment is available.

Heidi
xx🙂

I am a little confused about cutting carbs for a child. As i understand it, if you were to cut out all carbs your body would produce ketones (starvation ketones) - but this would alert a parent into thinking it could be the dangerous ketones (dka) - and there may even be a possibility of a parent thinking that they were starvation ketones - but actually they were dka ketones - therefore masking a potentially dangerous situation.
If i told our clinic that A had ketones - they would go into panic mode and probably have him admitted if they were high - so it would be very hard to do this with a child i think. Also, i am in the school of thought that everything should be a balance - so a bit of carb and protein and fruit and veg and a small amount of dairy. I am sorry - but i dont agree that children should have their diets restricted - whilst they are growing i feel that they need carbs (in moderation of course) to help them grow. I did ask at our clinic about this very subject and they said a child does need some carbs and not to restrict them (within reason). I dont think we can compare the lifestyles of our children to the lifestyles of Eskimo children.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back