Is there a needle clipper available in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the reason we don't know about that function is because the sharps bins don't come with any instructions, and because nobody has explained the peculiar shapes and cutouts to us!
You can hardly expect us to be psychic!
[Wanders away, muttering to self...]
I think it’s plainly obvious how to use a sharps box when you get one without instructions to be honest but if it helps here’s some photos to show the cutout you’re looking for on the 2 types of sharps bin I have to hand. I use the small one for needles and have a much bigger one that I don’t keep the lid on and use for libre applicators. The round one is my dads for chemo stuff but still has the cutout.

Attachments

• IMG_2801.jpeg
    IMG_2801.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2794.jpeg
    IMG_2794.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 8
That only works if you always inject where the sharps box lives, I don't....
No it works wherever you inject. The needles I use when out I put the outer cover on and put in my diabetes case. Then every couple of days when I’m home I screw those into my pen, remove outer cap and just put the inner needle in the sharps bin using the remover device on the bin. That way I get loads more needles in the sharps bin and so reducing the disposal costs.

No it works wherever you inject. The needles I use when out I put the outer cover on and put in my diabetes case. Then every couple of days when I’m home I screw those into my pen, remove outer cap and just put the inner needle in the sharps bin using the remover device on the bin. That way I get loads more needles in the sharps bin and so reducing the disposal costs.
When out, or in another room in house, I put used needles with inner cover but not outer into an old strips pot (from a previous meter with different colour pot to current) and empty this every day or two into sharps box.

I have tried many online retailers for the BD clipper but when you try to buy its says out of stock. Do you know of any other makes?

BD is the only one I ever had. I don’t know of an alternative unfortunately.

I have tried many online retailers for the BD clipper but when you try to buy its says out of stock. Do you know of any other makes?
Why do you need it?
I have not clipped needles for at least 10 years.

I saw the serrated bit on the sharps bin so screwed a new needle on a Levemir pen and tried it. Nasty cheap plastic moulding didn't even 'grab' the pen needle. So I just unscrewed it by hand and chucked it in.

I saw the serrated bit on the sharps bin so screwed a new needle on a Levemir pen and tried it. Nasty cheap plastic moulding didn't even 'grab' the pen needle. So I just unscrewed it by hand and chucked it in.
It isn't the serrated bit but the semi circle at the opposite side of the key shaped opening from the serrated bit and it does work but it is easier to unscrew with your fingers, but if you are third party using it, like a nurse, then using it as a needle remover if safer than risking getting spiked by using your fingers.

You do it at an angle not straight in for it to grab it. I have a coordination disorder and still manage it just fine.

I put it in straight and it works just fine.

I scoured the Daniel's Healthcare website (the makers of the 1L sharps bins I get prescribed to me) but could find no information whatever about the use of the oddly-shaped lid cutouts in any of their Training posters, or anywhere else.

Short of writing to them, has anyone any actual evidence that these lid cutouts could/should be used in the manner which has been proposed in posts above? Or did people just come upon their idea by serendipity?

[There's nothing like a good obsession...!]

Last edited:
I scoured the Daniel's Healthcare website (the makers of the 1L sharps bins I get prescribed to me) but could find no information whatever about the use of the oddly-shaped lid cutouts in any of their Training posters, or anywhere else.

Short of writing to them, has anyone any actual evidence that these lid cutouts could/should be used in the manner which has been proposed in posts above? Or did people just come upon their idea by serendipity?

[There's nothing like a good obsession...!]
Here’s the instructional video from the Daniel’s Healthcare YouTube page as actual evidence

I put it in straight and it works just fine.
Ah works both ways then, may be that I’m not coordinated enough to grip it straight down so an angle may be easier for those who were struggling with it like @trophywench

Here’s the instructional video from the Daniel’s Healthcare YouTube page as actual evidence
Thank you, Lucyr! I didn't come across this video on their website.
That shows how the left-hand, rounded part of the lid cutout can be used.
(Did you come across any video which shows the use of the serrated, right-hand, part of the cutout?)

Thank you, Lucyr! I didn't come across this video on their website.
That shows how the left-hand, rounded part of the lid cutout can be used.
(Did you come across any video which shows the use of the serrated, right-hand, part of the cutout?)
The left hand is serrated that’s how it grips the needle. The right hand bit with those flexible spikes is so you can push slightly larger things in without them falling out again I think

Thanks, but not exactly similar to the type I am prescibed - I used to get that one and the lid used to tell you where to press it when you wanted to lock it, but despite the large printed Daniels label on the front with all sorts of info, numbers, bar and QR code - tells you to press the lid where indicated to lock it. But - it isn't indicated and I can't usually lock it so I don't then - just take em back to the pharmacy when up to the line and ask em to dispose of it and ask whoever serves me to lock it - ie to make sure none of them get spiked between the back of their 'shop' and the heavily fenced and padlocked area round the side of the surgery building with the big yellow sharp/clinical waste skip that my tiddly 1 litre one gets chucked in with theirs.
Anyway - as I hardly use a pen or pen needle these days and have no difficulty manually removing em - I will hardly bother concerning myself thanks!

Thanks, but not exactly similar to the type I am prescibed - I used to get that one and the lid used to tell you where to press it when you wanted to lock it, but despite the large printed Daniels label on the front with all sorts of info, numbers, bar and QR code - tells you to press the lid where indicated to lock it. But - it isn't indicated and I can't usually lock it so I don't then - just take em back to the pharmacy when up to the line and ask em to dispose of it and ask whoever serves me to lock it - ie to make sure none of them get spiked between the back of their 'shop' and the heavily fenced and padlocked area round the side of the surgery building with the big yellow sharp/clinical waste skip that my tiddly 1 litre one gets chucked in with theirs.
Anyway - as I hardly use a pen or pen needle these days and have no difficulty manually removing em - I will hardly bother concerning myself thanks!
There’s a video showing how to lock it if you go on their YouTube page. Or you can scan the QR code on the sharps box itself to get to their webpage which has the video showing how to lock it.

I have always clipped and never used the cumbersome yellow boxes or had to carry something to put used needles in. The BD Safe Clip was fine, however they have discontinued it. I have contacted Diabetes UK to find out more and to lobby BD to resume production, or to find an alternative supplier.
Maybe you could also contact Diabetes UK about this, then they are aware of this problem.

I have always clipped and never used the cumbersome yellow boxes or had to carry something to put used needles in. The BD Safe Clip was fine, however they have discontinued it. I have contacted Diabetes UK to find out more and to lobby BD to resume production, or to find an alternative supplier.
Maybe you could also contact Diabetes UK about this, then they are aware of this problem.
Sorry. I am not interested in having a needle clipper. When I was first diagnosed, I had them but found they provided a false sense of security as the clipped end was still sharp and the other end could still be caught. I considered them unsafe.
I have a yellow box at home and just use a small.plastic bottle when out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back