Is it dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some medical mispronunciations are funny as are misunderstandings about what's what. A friend told me last night he had that COPD and I gasped with alarm (as he's never had chest problems). Then he rubbed his knee and said it was in his leg and hip. When I told him what COPD stood for he said, 'no, that's something else I must have heard somewhere...its Arthur-itis I have!' 😛

I never know how to pronounce most drugs. Nor do the medical profession, I discovered, when three nurses pronounced Diclofenac three different ways. OH and I refer to his blood thinner as Cloppy Doggeral because it's the only way we can remember the name of the ruddy thing, though I bet it's pronounced completely differently!
My favourite has to be 'thiazolidinediones' 😱 :D My Dad, who suffered from psoriasis, called it 'sorry-arse-iss', although that might be how the Dutch pronounce it because he lived in Holland and got his treatment there 🙂

You mean Cloppy doggrell. However my nurse pronounced it C-low-pee-drogg-ell last December when I saw her. Oh I said, I've always pronounced it .... Yes! she said - so did we all! But the Drug Rep came in the other week - and that's how he said it was pronounced - so we're all trying to change how we say it now!

How about calling it "Cloppy wotsit" ? - we'll all know what we mean!

You mean Cloppy doggrell. However my nurse pronounced it C-low-pee-drogg-ell last December when I saw her. Oh I said, I've always pronounced it .... Yes! she said - so did we all! But the Drug Rep came in the other week - and that's how he said it was pronounced - so we're all trying to change how we say it now!

How about calling it "Cloppy wotsit" ? - we'll all know what we mean!
They should call them things like 'Richard' or 'Elsie' etc. :D

I'm sure I went to school with Dick Lowe-Fenac. Nice chap, played Cricket left handed, always wore a cravat, even in his PJs . Ended up running away with Mr Petrie the Chemistry Master. Last heard of running a boutique hotel in Brighton.

With regards to aspartame I've been drinking fizzy drinks with it in for the last 30 years, not every day though and I don't think I've sufffered any ill effects. 🙄 I'm grateful it exists for me to enjoy a cold drink other than water. Prior to diet coke and the like there was One-Cal and Tab but all these drinks were obviously marketed at females. Calling them 'diet' drinks meant as a man asking for one you would occasionally get funny looks as to why you were asking for what was considered a 'girls' drink.

I remember being at the Glastonbury festival in 1995 and Richard Branson tried to take on Coca Cola and Pepsi with Virgin cola - it had just been launched and they had several kiosks around the site selling it in a promotional push. Feeling thirsty one evening (it was hot that year 😎) I went up to one to buy a can. Bearing in mind it only sold Virgin cola and Virgin diet cola the salesperson (a young man) said cola? I said 'diet cola please.' So he repeated 'diet cola?' with a quizzical look. I said 'yes please' and he said again slowly 'd-i-e-t cola' to which I repeated 'yes please' he then placed it on the counter - 'one DIET cola' with a smirk on his face. I didn't say anything to him but needless to say I never bought Virgin cola again.

Nowadays of course there are Pepsi Max and Coke Zero marketed at the male population.

My consultant's secretary wrote Domperidone as Dom Perignon - I was more than happy for that to go onto ,y prescription :D
That's what my Mum used to call it as well.

I think it would be wise when out to ask for your fizzy drink to be served in the can or in the bottle. When I had urine testing strips, I went into a cafe and ordered diet cola. The waitress came with our order and my cola. I put one of the tester strips in it and it went practically purple. I complained and said that this was regular cola and not diet cola. She did apologise and gave me another one which was diet.

I think it would be wise when out to ask for your fizzy drink to be served in the can or in the bottle. When I had urine testing strips, I went into a cafe and ordered diet cola. The waitress came with our order and my cola. I put one of the tester strips in it and it went practically purple. I complained and said that this was regular cola and not diet cola. She did apologise and gave me another one which was diet.
I made a mistake not so long ago. I asked for a Diet Coke it came in a glass, I assumed wrongly as it turned out that it was a Diet Coke. Now unless it comes in a bottle or a can I wont accept it

aspartame has been subjected to extensive safety testing, and there is little or no credible evidence that suggests it can cause any significant health issues at normal consumption patterns.

Saying that I know if I drink more than a small amount of diet drink I get a stinking headache- which I can only attribute to the aspartame!

Tell a lie - aspartame is not in Mr Marten's lemonade, although it does contain acesulfame K, which is also in my slimline mixers. Not quite so hard to pronounce? 🙂 ...To be honest, if I'm out at a pub or restaurant, I tend to stick to red wine, to save the hassle.

I u
Tell a lie - aspartame is not in Mr Marten's lemonade, although it does contain acesulfame K, which is also in my slimline mixers. Not quite so hard to pronounce? 🙂 ...To be honest, if I'm out at a pub or restaurant, I tend to stick to red wine, to save the hassle.
I usually stick to wine when out as well, mainly because I don't like coke and my digestion can't tolerate too much fizzy stuff and I hate paying for water!

I usually stick to wine when out as well, mainly because I don't like coke and my digestion can't tolerate too much fizzy stuff and I hate paying for water!
I've heard you've to not ask for water. It comes in bottles and you've to pay for it. You need to ask for something called tap water. Aparentely you get charged a lot less at places for that.

I've heard you've to not ask for water. It comes in bottles and you've to pay for it. You need to ask for something called tap water. Aparentely you get charged a lot less at places for that.
I always order tap water with meals, but feel guilty ordering it in a pub!

Saying that I know if I drink more than a small amount of diet drink I get a stinking headache- which I can only attribute to the aspartame!

I have found that I get a headache if I take too much saccharin — but not from any other sweetener.

The breakdown products of aspartame are aspartic acid and phenylalanine, plus a tiny amount of methanol;. the first two are also found naturally in nearly all foods, in vastly greater quantities than in diet drinks; so if aspartame were even a tiny fraction as toxic as the nutcases would have us believe, we would all be dead by now. 😱🙄 As for the methanol, some of the nutcases have seized upon that; ignoring the fact that an aspartame-sweetened diet drink has only about half the amount of methanol contained in the same size serving of fresh fruit juice, or trying to explain that away with some nonsense about "artificial" methanol being far more than twice as toxic as "natural" methanol. 🙄 (It's the same line of "logic" which likes to pretend that there's somehow some difference between "natural" and "added" sugar, or indeed between sugar and other carbs.)

Also, not only do I drink a lot of diet drinks, but my insulin (Novomix 30) is made from aspartic acid, so if there were any problems with it I would be in deep trouble. 🙄

I remember when Coke Zero was introduced (I was in Kings College Hospital, suffering from the kidney stones which were the first warning of my CKD); I read a letter to New Scientist from the president of the Soil Association (which regulates organic foods), calling on aspartame to be banned because "it has no nutritional benefit". Because of that, ever since then I have refused to buy organic food; to my mind, that letter showed that those idiots have never heard of diabetes, for as we know, type 2 is usually diagnosed in middle age (as is an increasing number of cases of type 1), by which time (thanks to the poor nutritional advice of the last 40 or so years) the patient has usually acquired a sweet tooth which doesn't magically disappear on diagnosis; and use of sweeteners (which have been used for decades, so if there were really anything wrong with them, there would be hard scientific evidence by now) allows this tto be gratified without the use of dangerous carbohydrates.

I have always asked for soda water, again most pubs do not charge for this. I do not feel guilty if I am eating there as well. I think I would feel guilty though if we were just having a drink there. However a soda water with a touch of lime is charged. Unfortunately I do not like the taste of alcohol that much and resent paying for something I don't really like.

I have lunch out every month with a group of friends and some of them always have tap water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back