Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robf1965

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi, I’m Rob and new to the site. Was diagnosed with type2 last week but only just in the parameters! Got my first meeting with the nurse at my GP practise today to find out more. I was told by a neighbour that it is possible to cure type2 but can’t seem to find information/confirmation online?

No - it's not possible to 'cure' diabetes - BUT - if you now follow a path to achieve remission of it, by continuing to follow that path, you can keep it in remission for a very long period, so stop doing whatever it is you've been doing that's caused your blood glucose to be higher than it ought to be. Too high blood glucose is usually exacerbated by repeatedly eating more carbohydrate than your body is able to handle and hence if you reduce that amount and keep it reduced, you should be able to achieve remission.

Whether you're able to do this without drugs depends both on how far into diabetes territory your blood glucose result has strayed and also your own body and what else is going on with it.

What was your HbA1c blood test result?

Welcome to the forum . I would have a look on https://lowcarbfreshwell.com
lots of info there and also on this website .Look on others posts on remission too. It can be managed but I agree with trophywench it can return and you go into remission rather than cure

Hi, I’m Rob and new to the site. Was diagnosed with type2 last week but only just in the parameters! Got my first meeting with the nurse at my GP practise today to find out more. I was told by a neighbour that it is possible to cure type2 but can’t seem to find information/confirmation online?
Not quite cure but put into remission which many here have done even from quite high HbA1C levels. You imply yours is not too high so with some dietary changes it should be very possible.
Many find a low carbohydrate dietary approach successful and this link may point you in the right direction.
Try to find out what your HbA1C is at your appointment as that indicates how much work you will need to do.

No - it's not possible to 'cure' diabetes - BUT - if you now follow a path to achieve remission of it, by continuing to follow that path, you can keep it in remission for a very long period, so stop doing whatever it is you've been doing that's caused your blood glucose to be higher than it ought to be. Too high blood glucose is usually exacerbated by repeatedly eating more carbohydrate than your body is able to handle and hence if you reduce that amount and keep it reduced, you should be able to achieve remission.

Whether you're able to do this without drugs depends both on how far into diabetes territory your blood glucose result has strayed and also your own body and what else is going on with it.

What was your HbA1c blood test result?
My two most recent results were 50 and then 49.

Not quite cure but put into remission which many here have done even from quite high HbA1C levels. You imply yours is not too high so with some dietary changes it should be very possible.
Many find a low carbohydrate dietary approach successful and this link may point you in the right direction.
Try to find out what your HbA1C is at your appointment as that indicates how much work you will need to do.
My most recent results were 50 and then 49! My main problem is bread, I love bread and white rice, I’ve tried brown bread but it gives me terrible reflux and I just don’t enjoy brown rice at all!

My most recent results were 50 and then 49! My main problem is bread, I love bread and white rice, I’ve tried brown bread but it gives me terrible reflux and I just don’t enjoy brown rice at all!
Those are two things that are better cut out or down on anyway but really substituting white version for brown makes little difference to the carbs it is just in some people they convert to glucose more slowly.
I only have home made bread in small slices so it can be any sort and I seem fine with that but no rice or wheat based pasta or rarely potatoes.
You HbA1C is not desperately high so some modest changes and watching portion size would be a good start. 1 slice bread rather than 2, half the amount of rice or have riced cauliflower instead.

You will get people saying you need to eat this or that but there is absolutely no need to eat things you do not like.
There may be more inventive ways of having foods which you hadn't considered before to make then more palatable and even enjoyable. But some modification of your normal meals to reduce to carbs and supplement with more veg and salads may be all you need to do.
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, dairy, vegetables, salads and fruit like berries with small portions of any high carb foods and cutting out cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks still give options for tasty meals.

Those are two things that are better cut out or down on anyway but really substituting white version for brown makes little difference to the carbs it is just in some people they convert to glucose more slowly.
I only have home made bread in small slices so it can be any sort and I seem fine with that but no rice or wheat based pasta or rarely potatoes.
You HbA1C is not desperately high so some modest changes and watching portion size would be a good start. 1 slice bread rather than 2, half the amount of rice or have riced cauliflower instead.
I agree, portion sizes are definitely my problem! I’ve been reading up on lowering my carb intake, I already do make my own bread but I’ll now try one slice rather than two! I have for the past week tried to fast from 9pm until around 12pm the following day when I have a bowl of homemade soup with the toast mentioned, but I’ve read conflicting information online which says not to fast! The nurse never said it wasn’t a good idea this afternoon though!

I agree, portion sizes are definitely my problem! I’ve been reading up on lowering my carb intake, I already do make my own bread but I’ll now try one slice rather than two! I have for the past week tried to fast from 9pm until around 12pm the following day when I have a bowl of homemade soup with the toast mentioned, but I’ve read conflicting information online which says not to fast! The nurse never said it wasn’t a good idea this afternoon though!
It can suit some people but sometimes it will make no difference to blood glucose levels as the liver releases glucose in the absence of food to give you energy and for your organs to function. Having a low carb breakfast of full fat Greek yoghurt and berries with nuts and seeds or a small portion of a low sugar granola about 15g or eggs in any form are the sort of things people have.
If you are having bought soup then check the carbs as some can be quite high which together with your bread could make for quite a high carb lunch with little protein.

but I’ve read conflicting information online which says not to fast! The nurse never said it wasn’t a good idea this afternoon though!

I think that’s quite a personal thing @Robf1965

Your nurse will be giving you general suggestions, and basing their advice on a mixture of up to date clinical evidence, but also on their experience of seeing multiple patients in their practice over the years, and what ‘generally’ seems to work. So you’ll be getting the benefit of lots of experience, but none of it is exactly you as an individual - so sometimes you have to try things out for yourself

But we have several members who have found that intermittent fasting is a very helpful strategy. And others have experimented with structures like 5:2 and found they helped them.

Conversely, we have other members who have found exactly those strategies didn’t work for them!

As you’ve already discovered the Internet can be full of conflicting advice, and you can find sources that will insist that pretty much anything is either essential, or a complete disaster! The forum hive mind can be very helpful in terms or filtering through some of that contrary craziness!

Did you find the appointment with your nurse helpful?

My honest opinion is you try until your happy with what works for you . Lots of information. Personally i usually pass out on a fast. Its has never given me energy. little n often is better but i struggle with that too as i am always hungry . Honesty with oneself is best. If you think this is too much it usually is . Like alcohol there is a bit you know thsts good, your happy then your drunk then your sick . Not the same but its finding out how much is too much carbs. Its a balance.

As has been said your neighbour is incorrect but remission is possible, ie normal BG, no meds, no signs or symptoms. Many of us have managed it from a much higher HbA1c at diagnosis than yours, often from 3 figures. You have much less to do than I had, for example. By losing some weight, exercising more and adopting a low carb diet my BG was back in normal range after 5 months and I've managed to keep it there (so far) by maintaining my exercise and diet regime, which has become a way of life.

I think that’s quite a personal thing @Robf1965

Your nurse will be giving you general suggestions, and basing their advice on a mixture of up to date clinical evidence, but also on their experience of seeing multiple patients in their practice over the years, and what ‘generally’ seems to work. So you’ll be getting the benefit of lots of experience, but none of it is exactly you as an individual - so sometimes you have to try things out for yourself

But we have several members who have found that intermittent fasting is a very helpful strategy. And others have experimented with structures like 5:2 and found they helped them.

Conversely, we have other members who have found exactly those strategies didn’t work for them!

As you’ve already discovered the Internet can be full of conflicting advice, and you can find sources that will insist that pretty much anything is either essential, or a complete disaster! The forum hive mind can be very helpful in terms or filtering through some of that contrary craziness!

Did you find the appointment with your nurse helpful?
I’m not sure tbh! I knew already (from here and other sources) it would be a case of altering my diet and reducing my carb/sugar intake. But I’m constantly disappointed with the NHS in that they want to send me on educational courses one day a week, this may work for some folk but it doesn’t for me! I want something to help curb my appetite as I’m greedy but they won’t recognise this. She has prescribed something (beginning with M?) at a dosage of 500mg a day, my next blood tests are in 3 months, and then she has said we can see what the next step will be depending on weight lose!

Hello and welcome. I am constantly annoyed with health care professionals who go thundering in with Metformin when the HbA1c is only just over 48mmol/mol. My GP surgery is far more enlightened and will allow a person to try life style changes for 3 months if the result is under 60. And Metformin can have explosive side effects. I am hopeful that with careful tweaks and sustainable lifestyle changes, you could reduce your blood glucose. May I suggest you ask your diabetic nurse if you can try that first without resorting to medication.

I’m not sure tbh! I knew already (from here and other sources) it would be a case of altering my diet and reducing my carb/sugar intake. But I’m constantly disappointed with the NHS in that they want to send me on educational courses one day a week, this may work for some folk but it doesn’t for me! I want something to help curb my appetite as I’m greedy but they won’t recognise this. She has prescribed something (beginning with M?) at a dosage of 500mg a day, my next blood tests are in 3 months, and then she has said we can see what the next step will be depending on weight lose!
By having meals with lower carbohydrates but plenty of protein and healthy fats will make you feel less hungry, it is a high carbs that will be more likely to make you suffer hunger not long after eating.
Sometimes people mistake being thirsty for hunger and having a drink can help.

I want something to help curb my appetite

If there wasn’t such a shortage at the moment you could ask for Ozempic / Wegovy (or rybelsus the tablet form). That seems to be helping people with appetite control?

Alternatively as @Leadinglights suggests, many on the forum have found they feel fuller and less likely to want to eat more on a low carb diet with more protein and good fats.

If there wasn’t such a shortage at the moment you could ask for Ozempic / Wegovy (or rybelsus the tablet form). That seems to be helping people with appetite control?

Alternatively as @Leadinglights suggests, many on the forum have found they feel fuller and less likely to want to eat more on a low carb diet with more protein and good fats.
Making sure you’re drinking plenty water / sugar free squash, and having lots of low calorie veg with meals, and basing meals on protein are worth focusing on as well (and can combine with a low carb diet) to help fill you up too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back