Injection Sites & injecting in public

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always inject through clothes. Its only bad when you bleed and if you havent had a good look at your legs in the mornings.
My belly is too skinny so its my legs and my arms. I cant work out how to do my bum.
I always do it in public, i dont care. Somebody said about doing it in toilets, Now that seems very silly, Not very clean at all.
Cars are the worst place, then cars haha. xxx

I do it through my clothes in public. I use syringes which are thicker than pen needles, I'd imagine if you put a pen needle through thick fabric (like jeans) it'd blunt it considerably. I only use my thighs and stomach, and I much prefer my stomach because it hurts a lot less. After 8 years of diabetes I only found out last week that you can do it above the belly button and not just below!

What I do now is do my injections in lines about 15mm apart, to make sure I'm rotating enough. It probably looks odd but it stops me developing lumps or stabbing the same place each time!

Rotating

I have had 3 kids so enough belly to rotate for the rest of my life lol :D

I use the outside of the arms quite a bit as I find it less painful than the stomach where I bruise more easily. Because the injection is meant to miss muscle (subcutaneous) I use short 8mm needles. The new Novorapid pens are amazing, the mechanism is as smooth as a normal syringe. I was told by my doctor not to inject through clothes because there is a small risk the needle takes a fragment of clothing with it in to the skin when injecting, hence the possibility of infection.

I've always been told 8mm is too long for arms and you should use 5/6mms. I never use my arms though so I probably didn't pay too much attention 😱

GDP, do you find the Novorapid pens (and Levemir too) are more difficult to use when they're new? I find that the first few uses are harder, sometimes they'll only click down one unit at a time.

I do it through my clothes in public. I use syringes which are thicker than pen needles, I'd imagine if you put a pen needle through thick fabric (like jeans) it'd blunt it considerably. I only use my thighs and stomach, and I much prefer my stomach because it hurts a lot less. After 8 years of diabetes I only found out last week that you can do it above the belly button and not just below!

What I do now is do my injections in lines about 15mm apart, to make sure I'm rotating enough. It probably looks odd but it stops me developing lumps or stabbing the same place each time!

above the belly button?? That's something I've never even considered, will have to give it a try.
Stomach and arms are my preferred sites although lantus tends to go in my thighs.

I collected the new pens two days ago. The old ones I agree, were often difficult to use. I couldnt inject using my left hand, as I am right handed, because it was uncomfortable to steady the pen for injecting. The new pens are just amazing. You will notice the difference because although the pen case is still predominantly dark blue, the inside (syringe and plunger) are bright orange. The mechanism is so light that you can inject completely effortlessly. I hope the old type are completely replaced and we get the new version from now on!

GDP, I think I've been using those pens ever since I was diagnosed. I do agree they are easier to use than the Levemir ones - although they appear to be the same, except for the green colouring.

hmm I dont know, I was using the old type for about 3 years. I don't use Levenir, other than Novorapid I use Lanctus. Those pens are pretty useless, stiff to inject and the needles dont like fitting on the pen thread when the protective needle cover is in place. Daft.

I like my Novopens. They are well stif when new, Just have to play around alot with it. Someone said that 8mm are too long for arms, they are all i have ever used i have never been offered shorter ones, they are fine through clothes even jeans.
xxxx

After 8 years of diabetes I only found out last week that you can do it above the belly button and not just below!

I go round and round my belly button, quarter of the way round each day, so it takes me four days to go all the way round. I try to vary the distance out as well so I dont use the same spot too often.

I use 8mm but have borrowed 5mm on occasion and found that they were painless, was thinking of switching but haven't got around to it. may have just got lucky those few times though because generally the 8mm are painless but some I can feel.

🙂 getting back to a previous thread about injection sites etc, have any of you taught family how to inject you?:confused: i have been teaching my 12yr old how to inject me in case im to ill to do it, my 15yr old is too needle phobic at the moment. what about glucagon injections have any of you type 1's got it at home in case of severe hypo's ? or relying on the emergency services ?? sorry to scare you.😱😱

Nope no-one knows how to inject my insulin, i can't imagine any situation that I wouldn't be able to inject myself and if I was then I would want to be in hospital.

I don't have glucagon, i don't want anyone injecting me. In a panic or in a situation where the person doesn't know whether I am low or high the chance of someone injecting the wrong stuff increases. if I am unconscious then I'd want 999 called and they can test and inject me.

🙂 getting back to a previous thread about injection sites etc, have any of you taught family how to inject you?:confused: i have been teaching my 12yr old how to inject me in case im to ill to do it, my 15yr old is too needle phobic at the moment. what about glucagon injections have any of you type 1's got it at home in case of severe hypo's ? or relying on the emergency services ?? sorry to scare you.😱😱

I've not told anyone how to do my insulin but my housemates and colleagues know how to do glucagon, including testing my blood first. I only teach those I can trust so if one of them wasn't around I'd expect someone to call an ambulance but I think if an ambulance can be avoided I'd prefer that, in terms of drama and expense.

I completely agree - I'd never want anyone other than myself or a qualified medic / nurse / ambulance technician etc to inject my insulin - and I'd have to be very incapacitated to allow anyone else to do it insead of me.

When knocked off my bike by a car door opened by an unobservant driver, I ended up in hospital to 2 nights, wound cleaning & suturing under general anaesthetic delayed by incoming emergencies. Completely understandable, but wouldn't have been an issue if they'd taken my suggestion of doing procedure under local anaesthetic - and might have been quicker if they hadn't admitted me under the plastics team, which didn't have any beds, so I was placed on a gynaecology ward (the only thing appropriate being that I am female!) Being woken up every 2 hours for 2 nights to check blood glucose, then noisily clank the keys to adjust an intravenous infusion of glucose and insulin isn't my idea of normal sleep, but at least it was a brief respite from subcutaneous injections. However, one bandaged and stiff arm from the original injury and the other kept straight due to cannula into my elbow wasn't too much fun - difficult even to position a book / magazine / newspaper to read, but at least there was no charge for listening to the radio. The husband of a woman who was heading home very kindly offered me use of her TV payment card, but I declined, with thanks, as I was happy with the radio, and he found someone else who was expecting to be in hospital longer. I think they were concerned that I looked so pale with dark eyes - but that's normal for me.

I did have a glucagon set for several years - until it expired without being used, so I donated it to a mountain rescue team for training use. I haven't replaced it. As glucagon is only admistered if semi / unconscious, I haven't tried giving it to myself - and have never needed to give to anyone else, although I have administered plenty of intramuscular injections, particularly immunisations while working as a nurse. For insulin for patients in hospital, we usually handed the kit to the person to give to themselves.

My daughter uses her belly and thighs. She always uses her thighs for her lantus. She tries to keep her stomach for when she is not able to get to her thighs ie being in public. She got me to use her arm for her lantus one evening whilst we were watching a show at butlins. I have got my hubby and my brother to do her novarapid in her arms so that i know they are able to do an injection on her incase she was ill and I wasn't around. (had to tell them they didn't need to stab her so hard though) Being a nurse I did her first insulin when she was admitted (to the ward I have worked on).
I have explained to my 7yr old son about calling an ambulance if she was unconsious. She dozed off in the car a few times on the way back from butlins and everytime she did he called her and poked her till she responded then said 'good your not unconsious so I don't need to call an ambulance.' Needless to say she didn't get much sleep. When we went thrrough with him about calling an ambulance he sadi he would tell them that she was diabetic and injected herself with insulation. Bless him.
We felt it was improtant for him to know what was happening as well.

i use my stomach and thighs have tryed other sites but just didnt have the ame control of the pen.i am sure there are alot of conditions were you have to do stuff in public its part of life like breast feeding.i wish people would be more accepting we are not doing it to them and they should be bloody grateful that they dont have to do it.

analogy with breastfeeding

Lorrie - it's a very good analogy comparing breastfeeding to injecting insulin - and perhaps also putting in / taking out contact lenses, and saying those who object are fortunate not to need daily injections. In all these examples, the person wants to be left alone - as in not physically knocked and not drawing attention to the action. Still, the opportunity to be discrete is one of the main reasons I use abdomen for injections at meal times, as it's usually possible to "hide" under a table, even a fold down tray on a train on aeroplane.

Loopy Loo - Your daughter has my sympathy about being woken up by her 7 year old bother when trying to sleep on a car journey. I know we're adults, but fortunately, my partner can fall asleep much more easily than I can, something he inherited from his mother, so I dose myself with caffeine, turn on the radio and drive all the way home (typically long journeys, 6 hours or more)- he usually wakes up when I stop to have a break. He does understand that if I ever say "I need food", I mean it, not just being greedy. In the same way, I tell him if I'm going to sleep or just nap.

However, once we swapped roles - I had to wake him 2 hourly through a night in a tent after the prologue of an expedition adventure race when he had landed on his nose - I knew the medic, and she knew I was a nurse / first aider and also that I was more likely to detect any unusual behavour that might indication a brain injury, as opposed to his normal unusual behaviour of not responding to questions. I think she was wise not to want such a sweaty body in close proximity (no showers). I explained to him that I would keep asking and prodding until I got a coherent reply. We made it through the night, and he completed the race, some 4 days and nights later.

Last edited:
I rotate my injections between thighs and stomach, but in public always use my stomach even for basal doses. In seven years I've only once had any comment (someone asked me if I could do it in the toilets, I said it wasn't hygienic). Most people don't notice even if they're sitting at the table with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back