• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Injecting in restaurants etc

Hi all!

I have just read my input again on this subject - and i must apologise!

I come across as a 'know it all' !!!!!
I honestly didnt mean to come across that way - how could i know anything when all of you have been dealing with diabetes for possibly years and know the ins and outs of it all - and heres little old me - a newcomer - thinking i know what i am talking about?

I am sorry if i have offended anyone. Blame it on being a very tired and over- protective mum - who cant turn her brain off from diabetes and all it entails!

Sorry. I love this site.:eek::eek::)Bev

Hi all!

I honestly didnt mean to come across that way - how could i know anything when all of you have been dealing with diabetes for possibly years and know the ins and outs of it all - and heres little old me - a newcomer - thinking i know what i am talking about?

I am sorry if i have offended anyone. Blame it on being a very tired and over- protective mum - who cant turn her brain off from diabetes and all it entails!

Hi Bev,
U dont come across as a know it all. But u are allowed to be all of the rest! Your just trying to do the best for yor son and its not easy.
My mum is still over protective of me and im 26!! We went to finalise our menu for wedding last night and my Mum was worrying about me eating talking bout me like I was a child again. As annoying as it is I know its only because she loves me and is scared of me getting things wrong.
I wouldnt change her for the world and im sure Alex feels the same bout u. I find ur post very helpful. xx

I know that diabetes isnt an exact science - but you would think the experts could at least have an agreement on the basics!

problem is each person is individual so having set rules, isn't very holistic. There are some things that are agreed on a set rules i.e. changing the needle every time. but most people don't do that, and DSN's who have diabetes themselves don't do it.

"NovoRapid has a faster onset and a shorter duration of action than soluble human insulin. Due to the faster onset of action, NovoRapid should generally be given immediately before a meal. When necessary NovoRapid can be given soon after a meal"

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/document.aspx?documentid=15074#POSOLOGY

Your absolutely right! Professionals do seem to differ - he was even told when first diagnosed by a rather old fashioned doctor - that he can never eat anything sweet again! Can you imagine what that did to him?

I know that diabetes isnt an exact science - but you would think the experts could at least have an agreement on the basics!
Perhaps children are given slightly stricter advice than adults so as to get a good basic grounding - before they turn naughty and start drinking alcohol etc...! lol:DBev x

A nurse that came to inject me for the first time when I was in hospital newly diagnosed said to me (because i was crying) "oh don't worry, you will probably be able to manage it with pills and exercise". I'm assuming she had no idea what diabetes is and that there are two types :eek: It's quite worrying isn't it?

Hi all!

Bev, you really dont come across that way at at. I have not been at it for years either! only one in fact, so am still learning things evey day, mainly from this site and from people like you who are interested. Diabetes is still 24/7 for me too. We are all entitled to our opinions on the subject, and i dont think anyone on here is trying to upset anybody else. we are all trying to help each other, whatever our views. Keep up the input, i agree this site is great, has helpedd me loads where my team just havent. Cant wait for 26th march on my next appointment am going in there fully armed with questions and info and i will be wanting answers on how to get better control!
:D

Hi Tracey,

Thats very kind of you to say! I hope you do get the answers you need for better control - after all its your life and your right to get the best possible information and act on it accordingly!Let us know how you get on!? :DBev

Hello again everyone...have followed this thread through and find that the injecting before/after a meal is something we've been troubled by...basically, at the moment my son can be a little unsure exactly what he wants to eat, so we've left it until after he's eaten to calculate the carb. Mostly this has happened in the last two weeks for two reasons: he's been quite ill (sugars all over the place! Oh my goodness!) so appetite variable; and we've had lots of 'pick' type meals (how many pitas will he have? who knows? How much hummus? how many slices of pepper/carrot? etc).

Our DSN told us that many people inject afterward, once they know what they've eaten and/or want to eat. Is this not the case?

btw -- we *have* been splitting pasta and rice meal injections, with considerable success. Yay!

It seems to me that so many different foods digest at different speeds that a hard and fast 'before meal only' rule seems maybe even inaccurate? I don't know...

Hi Patricia,

I can only go on what we have been told to do - and that is inject before a meal always! I think the reason for this is that insulin starts working only after 10 minutes - so if you eat food it is running round your body for maybe half and hour and then you have to wait another 10 minutes for the insulin to kick in. But my son has only been diagnosed for 12 weeks so maybe its more to do with being new. How old is your son and when was he diagnosed? I do understand what you mean about the amount of food he will eat - but what i do is work it out as if he was going to eat it all - then if he doesnt (rarely) we just give some milk and try to bring it up to the amount he should have eaten. Obviously if your son is a toddler its a lot more tricky with his diet! But if older then perhaps he could start to make decisions about the amount he feels hungry for and try to stick to it. Bev

ive always injected afterwards. what if i suddenly get full before i finish? what if the food tastes funny and i dont want it or what if the phone rings or im needed suddenly at work. Ive never noticed any problems with my sugars since carb counting and the pump and i still dose afterwards. none of my nurses or consultants have a problem with it

I always inject before, as I've been advised to, for the reasons bev states and it works fine for me and lessons spikes after eating. I inject for what I expect to eat which is usually fine, if I don't eat it all I'll just 'top up' with the right amount of juice. Or if I then want dessert I'll have a second injection.

Thanks for all this. Like everything else, this seems to vary person to person and area to area. It makes sense to me to generally inject before, and we do. But I can see how in several different circumstances (unknown food, parties, eating out) that it might be less stressful to inject afterward, so you aren't chasing the novorapid, esp in an unfamiliar situation.

Cheers.

ive always injected afterwards. what if i suddenly get full before i finish? what if the food tastes funny and i dont want it or what if the phone rings or im needed suddenly at work. Ive never noticed any problems with my sugars since carb counting and the pump and i still dose afterwards. none of my nurses or consultants have a problem with it

I know what you mean about not sure of how much you will eat. I often inject for two rounds of toast only to feel full after one... then i force the other one down because i have too. Not pleasant:(

I have to agree with the injecting before a meal, well for breakfast anyway, I tend to do the injection about 15mins before my breakfast, I find it helps with reducing such a big spike in BG in the morning. All other meals/ snacks etc I usually inject before hand, but find theres not much difference if injecting after (tends to happen at work, as I can wait for everyong to disappear after lunch and then inject).

It sounds really stupid but whenever im out I always feel like I shouldnt be messing about with needles etc in public, I know its something I have to do, but I do try and cover it up, probably for the sake of others ignorance really. But that said I dont mind doing an injection infront of people, they usually look on in amazement, followed by 'I couldnt do that' :rolleyes:

Its just an ignorant and to be honest epervesently stupid response to somebody taking a life saving med. Everybody who has a problem with public injections isn't worth even....................

;)

Its just an ignorant and to be honest epervesently stupid response to somebody taking a life saving med. Everybody who has a problem with public injections isn't worth even....................

;)

well said, woo! ;)

Now I know how those poor breast feeders feel, lol.

I inject when I am in a restaurant, I usually try and turn away and make sure that when I inject it is under table level.

Back