• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Injecting in restaurants etc

I agree, but I suppose it does provoke a debate and makes people wonder how best to tackle the problem. I was more surprised by the letter from a person who said that going on a DAFNE course was the worse thing he could have done. I felt that they should have, erm...'balanced' that with a letter praising the benefits of DAFNE (do you see what I did there?:))

I would have thought they will now be inundated with responses to both letters which may make for an interesting debate in the next issue!

Injecting

I always inject at the table when out which is pretty often as have a very hectic home based business which means we eat out all the time and most of the staff in my local mcdonalds see me inject nearly every morning and have never batted an eyelid or lash lol
As for strange looks, yes i get them and i stare straight back at them, as for the nurses comment as haven't had my copy yet.....how dare she make such a mockery of diabetic people, she or he of all people should no how unhygenic toilets are in this country and that as a diabetic our immune systems are rubbish compared to normal joe bloggs, are we sure she or he is an actual nurse or just some silly pratt who thinks the're trying to be clever??

I agree, but I suppose it does provoke a debate and makes people wonder how best to tackle the problem. I was more surprised by the letter from a person who said that going on a DAFNE course was the worse thing he could have done. I felt that they should have, erm...'balanced' that with a letter praising the benefits of DAFNE (do you see what I did there?:))

Yeah I saw that, usually they have letters praising DAFNE so i'm guessing they just assumed people have the other's, I thought it was a bit odd though. It's a shame he/she should really just go back to their DN an try to sort out the hypo issue, im sure he/she could go back their original regime if they just talked to someone about it...

That nurse should flip on over to page 30 where that rugby player is injecting for a photo - DISGUSTING!

I was surprised to read that letter aswell, i have however seent he same attitude form people with diabetes, that you shoulodn't inject in front of other people.

I will inject at the table and have never had any comments, and like a previous poster my other half sometimes asks if i've done any insulin because she doesn't see me do it.

The guy who wrote about DAFNE should just go back to his old regieme if he doesn't like it. All the course will have given him is the information and knowledge, doesn't mean he has to use it.

I would never go to the toilet to inject, it is unhygienic. I don't see why i should go into a dirty disgusting toilet to inject just because of someone else's phobia, if they have a real problem they should get treatment for it as people would for any other disabling phobia, especially if they are a nurse and are likely to see people injecting all the time in their job. Injecting takes a couple of minutes and they don't have to watch, if they know it will gross them out they should look away as soon as they see I am getting my injection pen out. The fact that it is a nurse writing this letter makes it even worse. I thought nursing was supposed to be a 'caring' profession, if she finds injecting so disgusting maybe she should reconsider her career choice.

After ordering in a restaurant I ask to keep the wine list (or menu) to read and then use that as a modesty shield to take my jab. It does mean injecting through clothes into my abdomen though. Is that a really bad thing??

Hi
As i understand it - its not ideal as you risk the needle breaking and could damage yourself - but we are new to it all so i may be wrong! Bev

Biggest potential problem with injecting through clothes is if you draw blood, it stains your clothing! And you can't really get through anything thicker than a T shirt or woven shirt. Anyway, a shirt with full length button line, tucked into trousers gives very easy access to bare skin. Dresses are much more difficult - yet another reason why I find weddings THE MOST DIFFICULT SITUATIONS with diabetes! Well, actually, I don't wear dresses, but the uncertainty of meal times and types of food, formality etc mean they're purely stressful, not enjoyable.
I believe there was a research study a while back which compared rates of problems in people who injected insulin through clothes with those who only injected into bare flesh - and there was no excess infection or other problems in those who injected through clothes.

After ordering in a restaurant I ask to keep the wine list (or menu) to read and then use that as a modesty shield to take my jab. It does mean injecting through clothes into my abdomen though. Is that a really bad thing??

Hmm, I have to say that I prefer to see that the thing is going in properly, apart from any other reason like hygiene, blunting/breaking needle etc. Yes, I know it's unlikely that I'm going to miss, but I'm still relatively new to this and think it will be a while before I feel blas? about it - but, we are all different, and I'm sure our preferences and behaviour vary considerably in lots of things!:)

and like a previous poster my other half sometimes asks if i've done any insulin because she doesn't see me do it.

wow, that's pretty good going. My ex always noticed. Probably only because he is shallow and embarrassed by me or something. (not that im bitter haha).

Injecting in restaurants!

I read the article and was disgusted by comments. I used to go to the toilet to inject, it wasn't so much the dirty state of the toilets, most of the restaurants I go to the toilets are quite clean but it was the balancing of blood monitoring kit, insulin pen, needles etc on a washbasin and everything would be falling into the washbasin. I also felt when anyone came into the toilet that I was some sort of druggie and I don't particularly want to explain to strangers what I'm doing. Now I inject at the table. I do miss wearing a dress to go out, just another consideration I have to make, like taking a handbag that fits all that I need to take with me, sometimes it would be nice to just take a small evening bag.

I received my copy of Balance yesterday and was shocked to see one of the letters on the letters page was someone, a nurse, who felt quite strongly that it was unacceptable for diabetics to inject in public saying

" how anyone can think this is acceptable is beyond me... personally I'd be disgusted if someone at the table did this...I would be angry at that person's lack of consideration..."

I think this is beyond shocking from a so-called health care professional- im sure it is hard enough for people to get the confidence to inject etc in public without being put down by someone who appears to be in the wrong profession. Nurses see things much worse than this in day to day job. And as for a lack of consideration- ha ha! I doubt the one who lacks consideration is the nurse!!

Now I inject at the table. I do miss wearing a dress to go out, just another consideration I have to make, like taking a handbag that fits all that I need to take with me, sometimes it would be nice to just take a small evening bag.

Hi Elaine.

Have you tried injecting through a dress? If i'm out and wearing a dress I just do this as a once off :)

That is a really good idea :) I would offer to start but out of all of us i'm definately not the most articulate hehe.

I'm not sure, maybe it would be better for them to be deluged by 800 individual letters rather than just getting one.

I won't be writing to Balance, as I don't have access to the text.

Back