In the Garden

You plant the bulbs in the autumn.
I planted mine a couple of weeks ago as that was when I got them.

They’re coming up now. They’ll be late but I’m happy!

I planted mine a couple of weeks ago as that was when I got them.

They’re coming up now. They’ll be late but I’m happy!
I’ve always been warned that if you don’t plant daffodils in the autumn, they come up with no flowers, (but Tulips don’t mind if they go in late). Fingers crossed it’s just an old wives tale.

It's definitely OK to plant daffodils as late as December or even early January (if the ground's not frozen!), never tried in February, but I suspect they will just flower late. They can come up blind (no flowers) if planted too late - it's not an old wives tale - but they're more likely to do so if not planted deeply enough or defoliated too soon after flowering - https://www.rhs.org.uk/problems/daffodil-blindness

Tulips are supposed to go in later than other bulbs, ideally November or later, to prevent disease.

If they come up blind it’s not an issue.

Although I’m not sure I’d cope with the pack of Guide Dogs….

I'm new to gardening.. Can anyone suggest any particular flowering plants that grow in this season...
Most of the plants in flower at this time of the year are bulbs, which can grow and flower so early in the season because they use stored energy in the bulb from what they built up last year. Gardening is a slow process. If you look at what’s in flower in peoples' gardens now, or what’s on sale in pots in the garden centre, (a very expensive way to buy stuff) and make notes on what you liked, then next Autumn, you’ll know what bulbs to buy and plant ready for the following Spring. I love bulbs, you drop them into the soil before winter, forget about them, and then suddenly in Feb, you wake up to the fact that your garden is ablaze with colour.

So can i start growing it from end of this month?
You can get things like pansies and polyanthus from the garden centres now to plant and they will flower until about May but it depends on your space and if you want to plant things like shrubs which will grow and flower year after year.

Autumn - it's best to buy and plant the bulbs around October for daffodils and around November for tulips. They will come up and flower in the spring. You'll need to dig holes to plant the bulbs which are around three times the depth of the bulb (or put them near the bottom of pots if you're planting in pots).

If you want to plant something now which will come into flower soon, Primulas are easy and will flower all spring, or you could look for Pulsatilla or Brunnera.

If you have dry soil in sun, look for Erysimum (perennial wallflowers - perennial means they are ones which come back up every year, there are also annual wallflowers which don't) or if you have soggy soil in shade, Pulmonaria.

Hellebores are also in flower at the moment, but don't plant those if you've got young children as they're very poisonous.

It's started.....that's cutting the lawns which I did for the first time today this year, even worse now petrol is the price it is. Perhaps I'll have to get a hover mower with a solar panel attached to it

During this past winter I have bought the garden inside to a degree, I have been sprouting seeds and growing microgreens, never run out of fresh veg this way and it helps stave off the gardening withdrawal 🙂

Although I have been planting seeds in the greenhouse too and the garden is definitely waking up for the next growing season.

Enjoy some fresh home growns

Attachments

• alfalfaDay6.png
    alfalfaDay6.png
    943.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BrocSproutHarvest27Feb23.png
    BrocSproutHarvest27Feb23.png
    636 KB · Views: 5
  • BeanSproutsMug.png
    BeanSproutsMug.png
    340.4 KB · Views: 5
  • MicrogreensApr23.png
    MicrogreensApr23.png
    761.5 KB · Views: 5
It's started.....that's cutting the lawns which I did for the first time today this year, even worse now petrol is the price it is. Perhaps I'll have to get a hover mower with a solar panel attached to it
[/QUOTE

I cut for the first time on Saturday, so looking forward to next week as temperatures are rising according to the met office.

I grew these 2 plants inside through the winter 2 seeds from shop bought bell pepper, looking forward to them bearing fruit later on. So worth saving a few seeds from anything bough in the supermarket or shop.

]

Attachments

• BellPepperfromSeed.png
    BellPepperfromSeed.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 2
I’m still waiting to see what has survived the winter. Most stuff that got knocked back is showing signs of growth, but I'm still waiting for signs of life on most of my penstemons and my phygelis. I used to take cuttings of the penstemons in case they didn’t survive, because they are a bit less than totally hardy, but in the 15 years we’ve been in this house I've never lost any, so I stopped bothering. But this last winter may have been a fatal combo of wet followed by freeze followed by wet followed by freeze again. I think I've lost a clematis, what's above ground is all dead, but it might reappear from beneath the surface, fingers crossed.

I've now finished all the heavy digging of borders and veg beds and it didn't half hammer my glucose level!
Tomato plants have been pricked out into pots, the first sweet peppers will be ready to plant out in the polytunnel in a couple of weeks, early lettuce is ready to pick or cut and broad beans are showing their first flowers.
We picked the last of our brussel sprouts two weeks ago, our last parsnips this week, but still have a few carrots and beetroot in the ground but they are starting to get a bit tired.
On the floral side of horticulture I've got 126 bedding and container plants and perenials in pots waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

Anyone seen a white bluebell before? And if it’s not a bluebell what is it? And don’t say a whitebell please, oh, I do have bluebells as well.
IMG_0155.jpeg

Anyone seen a white bluebell before? And if it’s not a bluebell what is it? And don’t say a whitebell please, oh, I do have bluebells as well.
View attachment 25698
We’ve got some white ones, in amongst the blue. I’m waging war on my blue ones, because they’re Spanish, and thuggish, and they hybridise with our native woodland bluebells, of which there are some just being established in our neighbours woodland area. I’m never sure whether I should dig out the white ones or not, I’ve left them so far, but I'm losing the battle with the Spanish blue ones, so I’m wondering if when they seed down, they produce blue offspring. Anyone know?

Back