im going on metformin today what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really interesting as I should have started on Metformin last Saturday but because I picked up some kind of bug that made me really ill I have delayed starting the med. Doc told me to start off with 1 x 500mg at lunchtime and build up to 3 x 500mg. In my mind I was thinking of being on the 1 for around a week, then building up to 2 for another week and eventually going on to the 3 if all was OK. The tabs are big dobbers, much bigger than all the other meds I take which is a shame as I am going to have to take this one at work - not exactly discrete size! Also, I was going to take it with my food, start eating, take tab and swig of water, continue eating.

Could be very interesting as I already have a bowel/colon disorder called diverticular disease and most foods get my tummy gurgling and making lovely noises. Sigh.

Please keep letting us know your progress. I will be seeing the practice nurse on April 12th and it seems she is the whole diabetes control team.

Could be very interesting as I already have a bowel/colon disorder called diverticular disease and most foods get my tummy gurgling and making lovely noises. Sigh.

I have diverticular disease too, my first few weeks were awful. But I wasn't warned by the nurse to start one tablet and gradually build up. I started on 3 tabs a day.
Beware the wet f@rts 😱

This is really interesting as I should have started on Metformin last Saturday but because I picked up some kind of bug that made me really ill I have delayed starting the med. Doc told me to start off with 1 x 500mg at lunchtime and build up to 3 x 500mg. In my mind I was thinking of being on the 1 for around a week, then building up to 2 for another week and eventually going on to the 3 if all was OK. The tabs are big dobbers, much bigger than all the other meds I take which is a shame as I am going to have to take this one at work - not exactly discrete size! Also, I was going to take it with my food, start eating, take tab and swig of water, continue eating.

Please keep letting us know your progress. I will be seeing the practice nurse on April 12th and it seems she is the whole diabetes control team.

i was just told to come pick up my precription and when i got it at the chemist it said on the box 850mg to take one at breakfast an one at evening meal, i to thought id stay on just one for awhile but oviously not. ive just taken my second one with my evening meal about hlf hour ago an so far so good.ill keep you posted. yeah they realy are big tablets to take, i take a glass of water with them just so i know its gone down.
good luck for the 12th hope all goes well hun xxx

Beware the wet f@rts

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Meetings are going to be a nightmare!!! Wonder if I can set up my desk in the loo.

day 2 has gone well lynda, i took my second tab this morning an had no side effects. didnt go out today though just incase lol. when i tested my levels this morning an they were still high before brekfast(10.6) then had brekki and my tablet an 2hrs later i was 6.8 so the tablets must be working along with me trying to eat healthy. im going to start taking my second tablet from this evening an see how it goes.
when do you start on your medication lynda? xxx

It will probably be after I see the nurse in April Tracey but she has agreed I can leave it until after my holiday at beginning of May. You seem to be doing really well with it all so thats really good to hear. The diet does make a huge difference. In seven weeks of really healthy eating and being strict with myself I have seen my levels drop from the 8 mark to 6 and often in the 5s. Unfortunatley my doc does not agree with testing and I have to buy my own strips 😡 but its well worth as I am learning so much. Keep up the good work, you are doing well 🙂

It will probably be after I see the nurse in April Tracey but she has agreed I can leave it until after my holiday at beginning of May. You seem to be doing really well with it all so thats really good to hear. The diet does make a huge difference. In seven weeks of really healthy eating and being strict with myself I have seen my levels drop from the 8 mark to 6 and often in the 5s. Unfortunatley my doc does not agree with testing and I have to buy my own strips 😡 but its well worth as I am learning so much. Keep up the good work, you are doing well 🙂

thats good that they say you can wait until after your holiday, at least you can enjoy it without having the worries of taking the medication.
ive been trying to eat healthly this past week aswel an not been doing to bad at it so far.thats great news about your levels, well done.
today hasnt been to good for me with the medformin, ive had bad diareahea most of the day and havent eating since breakfast time but im sort of blaming it on a can of pepsi max i had earlier in the day. i feel hungary but sort of scared to eat anything, think ill try some stirfry or something later. xxx

Hi Tracey was just wondering how things were going on the met?

Hi Tracey was just wondering how things were going on the met?

hi steff, thanks for asking. it hasnt been going to bad, ive been on 2 a day now for a week, had a bad tummy first couple of days but things seem to have settled down now. i get a sore tummy from time to time but i think this is when i have to much of the wrong food an just getting used to the tablets. so far so good xxx

hi steff, thanks for asking. it hasnt been going to bad, ive been on 2 a day now for a week, had a bad tummy first couple of days but things seem to have settled down now. i get a sore tummy from time to time but i think this is when i have to much of the wrong food an just getting used to the tablets. so far so good xxx

good to hear it hun xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back