im going on metformin today what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i got my medication this afternoon. im to take one with breakfast and one with my evening meal, they are 850mg tablets, is that what most people are on? just hope i can swallow them there huge lol. im going to start them in the morning, i dont fancy having an upset tummy tonight if that is maybe whats going to happen to me.

Tracey if it's not too late, don't take the second tablet today. I would take just one tablet for the first few days and see how you go tummy wise. You will probably know about it later on when you start f@rting 😱
I am on 500mg X 3 daily. I started on one 3 times a day. I would have been better on one a day for the first week and then build up to 3 a day. I had terrible wind and diahorrea.

Tracey if it's not too late, don't take the second tablet today. I would take just one tablet for the first few days and see how you go tummy wise. You will probably know about it later on when you start f@rting 😱
I am on 500mg X 3 daily. I started on one 3 times a day. I would have been better on one a day for the first week and then build up to 3 a day. I had terrible wind and diahorrea.

hi cocacola, i havent took one this evening. im going to start tomorrow with them. thanks for the advice, i will just take the one in the mornings then and see how it goes for a few days before taking the second one. wind and diahorrea omg i have so much to look forward to 😱 ill probley be f@rting all day tomorrow lol xxx

I got put on Metformin 500mg three times daily the day after i was diagnosed, the first tablet gave me a nasty explosion, but things got better and eventually settled down. I'm told is best to take them straight after eating so they don't hit your empty stomach. I'm trialing mine after breakfast,, but i had an HbA1c today and i think it will be high, so i'll probably be on more next week.

I got put on Metformin 500mg three times daily the day after i was diagnosed, the first tablet gave me a nasty explosion, but things got better and eventually settled down. I'm told is best to take them straight after eating so they don't hit your empty stomach. I'm trialing mine after breakfast,, but i had an HbA1c today and i think it will be high, so i'll probably be on more next week.

good luck with your HbA1c results rachel, hope they come back ok for you xxx

I'm failry sure they wont be good....unless my meter is on the blink...my blood sugars have been horrible for weeks, dispite my best efforts food wise. It's ok, i'll take whatever it takes to fix it.
It's dumb of me to have taken this long ober pestering the medics, it's just that last time i went to clinic complaining of high blood sugar (in november) they told me it was just a blip (i blamed full sugar coke on a night out...) and not to worry about it coz my Hba1c was in the mid 5s. Somehow i think it's gonna be higher this time around. And i still forgot to ask bout the flipping test strips. But at least nobody told me off for testing this time.

I'm failry sure they wont be good....unless my meter is on the blink...my blood sugars have been horrible for weeks, dispite my best efforts food wise. It's ok, i'll take whatever it takes to fix it.
It's dumb of me to have taken this long ober pestering the medics, it's just that last time i went to clinic complaining of high blood sugar (in november) they told me it was just a blip (i blamed full sugar coke on a night out...) and not to worry about it coz my Hba1c was in the mid 5s. Somehow i think it's gonna be higher this time around. And i still forgot to ask bout the flipping test strips. But at least nobody told me off for testing this time.

why were you told off for testing rachel if you dont mind me asking?
i thought we were supposed to test to find out what makes are levels go high :confused: do your docs not think its a good thing? sorry for being nosy, just curious and trying to understand everything xxx

i was originally started on 2x500mg and 1x simstatin and after 4 months reduced to 1x500mg and no statins
my hbA1c last time was 6.4 ....my meter reads average 6.9 but HbA1c is taken over a longer period of time...3months which is the time for the blood to rejuvenate??cant remember the exact medical stuff but im no medic...rachel or someone will help me out here...

the varying levels of care across the country is quite amazing ...some members have teams that encourage testing with T2 ...others have a really difficult time getting strips....
test to find out what effects you ...try before you eat...then after 2hrs ..check back on forum threads for advice re levels...
good luck tracey x🙂

i was originally started on 2x500mg and 1x simstatin and after 4 months reduced to 1x500mg and no statins
my hbA1c last time was 6.4 ....my meter reads average 6.9 but HbA1c is taken over a longer period of time...3months which is the time for the blood to rejuvenate??cant remember the exact medical stuff but im no medic...rachel or someone will help me out here...

the varying levels of care across the country is quite amazing ...some members have teams that encourage testing with T2 ...others have a really difficult time getting strips....
test to find out what effects you ...try before you eat...then after 2hrs ..check back on forum threads for advice re levels...
good luck tracey x🙂

i got my HbA1c was taken last week and it was 8.4 so i guess thats why they decided that meformin was the best treatment for me?
i bought a monitor last week an im lucky enough to have got my strips an lancets on precription, the nurse and receptionist were realy helpful in helping me understand what type of strips id need for my boots monitor as i didnt know what to ask for. my nurse had no worries about me testing, only thing she stressed to me was not to become obsessed about testing to often.
only thing i have to start understanding now is knowing what makes my levels go high. i still cant get them under 10 even when i first wake there high. xxx

started my medformin this morning. went about doing my usal things around the house an kept wondering if i was going to have side effects, thinking im going to get cramps any minute now but i was fine. couple of hours later i decided id go for a walk into town (about a mile from my house) i just got into the first shop to get a phone top up when i felt a bubbly feeling in my tummy, got what i needed an decided right im going home just incase :(
i never walked as fast in my life, an was so glad i made it home in time.
i seem to be ok now though fingers crossed. maybe it was just a one off.
one good thing out of it today was at least i did abit of power walking lol

started my medformin this morning. went about doing my usal things around the house an kept wondering if i was going to have side effects, thinking im going to get cramps any minute now but i was fine. couple of hours later i decided id go for a walk into town (about a mile from my house) i just got into the first shop to get a phone top up when i felt a bubbly feeling in my tummy, got what i needed an decided right im going home just incase :(
i never walked as fast in my life, an was so glad i made it home in time.
i seem to be ok now though fingers crossed. maybe it was just a one off.
one good thing out of it today was at least i did abit of power walking lol

hi Tracey your body is getting used to the pills, im sure things will die down in 2-3 weeks.

hi Tracey your body is getting used to the pills, im sure things will die down in 2-3 weeks.

yeah im sure it will settle down soon, i feel ok now. xxx

only thing i have to start understanding now is knowing what makes my levels go high. i still cant get them under 10 even when i first wake there high. xxx

Hi Tracey,
If you're testing read this Austarlian guru's account of how to make it work for T2s ...."test, Adjust, Review"

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

As far as starting on metformin goes the usual method is to sart low, 500, and build up until you can tolerate the minimum effective dose of 1500.
If you are starting on a higher dose you should moderate the amount of carbs you are eating because met reacts to the carb burden.

If I eat too many naughty carbs (like things made with flour etc) the Metformin lets me know the next day.... 😱

The bottom falls out of my world or should that be the other way around...? :confused:

Hi Tracey,
If you're testing read this Austarlian guru's account of how to make it work for T2s ...."test, Adjust, Review"

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

As far as starting on metformin goes the usual method is to sart low, 500, and build up until you can tolerate the minimum effective dose of 1500.
If you are starting on a higher dose you should moderate the amount of carbs you are eating because met reacts to the carb burden.

hi peter, ive just read some of how to make it work for t2s. its very interesting, ive saved it so i can look at it some more.
im trying to cut down on the ammont of bread im eating an change from potatoes to sweet potato an califlower, im gonna try it tomorrow night for tea

If I eat too many naughty carbs (like things made with flour etc) the Metformin lets me know the next day.... 😱

The bottom falls out of my world or should that be the other way around...? :confused:

yeah i felt abit like that today 😱😱

Tracey how has day two gone? I have all this to come 🙄

Tracey how has day two gone? I have all this to come 🙄

day 2 has gone well lynda, i took my second tab this morning an had no side effects. didnt go out today though just incase lol. when i tested my levels this morning an they were still high before brekfast(10.6) then had brekki and my tablet an 2hrs later i was 6.8 so the tablets must be working along with me trying to eat healthy. im going to start taking my second tablet from this evening an see how it goes.
when do you start on your medication lynda? xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back