im going on metformin today what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceycat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
im being put on metformin today, i have to pick my precription up at lunchtime. what i want to know is will there be any side affects to it? also do i have to be extra careful what i eat an eat at regerlur times? thanks for any advice xxx

Hi Tracy, I hope you get on OK with the metformin. SOme people do experience some side effects with meformin like upset tummies, stomach cramps and wind. These effects do settle down after a while.

I am an advocate of regular meals, but we are all different. Cut down as much as possible on refined foods and things like sugar, salt and fat and aim for a balanced diet. Don't let anyone talk you into thinking cakes and sweets are not allowed, we all need treats some times. There are a number of forum users who prefer a loe carb diet, but we are all different, so what works for one may nt always work for another?

Do you have a meter? Lots of people find them usefull as a guide to which foods affect their numbers.

Browse the forums and see what everyone has to say on a variety of things and please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Hi traceycat,
You may be Ok with Metformin, it might suit you. but it did'nt suit me i had stomach cramps, some people take it without any problems at all. As for what to eat don't get depressed as i did because you can't work your diet out. Very good books to get which were suggested by one of the people on this site are Collins Gem GI Diet which tells you about foods that will send your BS readings up and those which are ok. Its easy to use as it works on a traffic light system RED foods to avoid AMBER foods in moderation GREEN foods that are ok. and Collins Carb Counter i use these all the time as a reference and it seems to work. You have joined the best site, and i personally have found the people that are on here are a fantastic group and support to those that are struggling as i was.
Keep smiling its not as bad as it seems when you get used to it.
Regard Mick

thanks caroline an mick. yeah ve been testing myself for the past week now but my readings are still quite high, between 10 an 16 sometimes even though ive not touched chocolate, crisps or anything sweet. its so hard knowing what to have to eat, ive been eating loads of fruit the past few days aswel which is something ive never realy did before. i wonder if my libary would have any of these books that i could borrow as money is abit tight at the moment? xxx

Last edited:
Metformin can cause gastro problems - read the patient information leaflet. The effects are meant to wear off after a few weeks. Drs should start you on a low dose and then build it up as you get used to it.

There is a slow release version if you can't tolerate the standard tablets. The problem there is you have to swallow a really large tablet, you can't chew or split the tablet as that makes it no longer slow release.

You say you have been eating a lot of fruit -that too has sugar in it. I was told that 5 grapes were the equivalent of an apple - so be careful with grapes.

Hope you get on OK with the tablets.

Hi tracey cant really add to whats already been said i suffered bad with metformin to start ie stomach cramps and bad wind but it has al settled now.Good luck xx

hi margie, yeah ive been eating about 4 pieces of fruit a day usaly an apple, few strawberries in my cereal an some grapes, ive been spacing these out through the day. xxx

thanks steff xxx

The other thing to be aware of is that some pickles and savoury sauces also contain a certain ammount of sugar, so do read food labels too. Some breads also have a small ammount of sugar to help the yeast work properly too!

thanks caroline an mick. yeah ve been testing myself for the past week now but my readings are still quite high, between 10 an 16 sometimes even though ive not touched chocolate, crisps or anything sweet. its so hard knowing what to have to eat, ive been eating loads of fruit the past few days aswel which is something ive never realy did before. i wonder if my libary would have any of these books that i could borrow as money is abit tight at the moment? xxx

Hi Tracey,

if you have got a meter check out Jennifer's Smart Advice in the Links section.
The mantra is "eat to your meter". if you are eating more fruit than usual and scoring 16s your meter is trying to tell you something.

There is no harm in seeing what the local library has. Also see if you doctor has any leaflets. You might also find some helful links in the links section

Watching this post with interest as I was told today I will be going on Metformin in May. I hope you don't have any side effects. Keep us posted

I was on Metformin for about five months and the side effects never really went away. My body just can't tolerate it, yet there's plenty folk who have no trouble with it. I'm doing much better on the slow-release version, Glucophage.

Hi,

I couldn't get on too well with standard Metformin. I eventually went on slow release and the side effects are a lot less.

Many people find taking Metformin with food helps reduce the side effects.

Hope that helps.

well i got my medication this afternoon. im to take one with breakfast and one with my evening meal, they are 850mg tablets, is that what most people are on? just hope i can swallow them there huge lol. im going to start them in the morning, i dont fancy having an upset tummy tonight if that is maybe whats going to happen to me.

hi margie, yeah ive been eating about 4 pieces of fruit a day usaly an apple, few strawberries in my cereal an some grapes, ive been spacing these out through the day. xxx

Strawberries are good, grapes not so good! Remember also that it is the carbohydrate content of food that will push your levels up, not just the obviously sweet stuff - white bread is just as bad as sugar!

im on metforman x3 a day i had the same problems as everyone else dodgy, crampy tummy and wind it settled down the only problem is for me is not i am eating so i can take tablets and my eating pattern can be a bit muddled

Strawberries are good, grapes not so good! Remember also that it is the carbohydrate content of food that will push your levels up, not just the obviously sweet stuff - white bread is just as bad as sugar!

yeah i always ate white bread but since last week ive switched to wholemeal, i now have 2 sandwiches at lunchtime usaly ham an salad, an ive just bought tuna in spring water, i think im learning slowly 🙂

yeah i always ate white bread but since last week ive switched to wholemeal, i now have 2 sandwiches at lunchtime usaly ham an salad, an ive just bought tuna in spring water, i think im learning slowly 🙂

Even better than wholemeal is seeded bread like granary. Burgen bread is supposed to be particularly good, but I can never get hold of it locally - it is very 'slow-release' low GI, so helps spread the digestion of the food.

Even better than wholemeal is seeded bread like granary. Burgen bread is supposed to be particularly good, but I can never get hold of it locally - it is very 'slow-release' low GI, so helps spread the digestion of the food.

i had a roll today which was granary, didnt think id like it but hubby bought them for me and it was actuly nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back