I'm a LADA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LADA isn't an option on the profiles and I don't want to masquerade as a Type 1 when I ain't yet, or am I?

Difficult one, technically yes, if you look up the WHO classifications. Then slow onset type 1, is type 1. But I can understand you not feeling sure about putting type 1 as you are not on insulin yet.

I would like there to be more options as I'm not a type 1 or 2, so had to go with whats closest.

You can now set your profile to Type 1.5 LADA!🙂 Don't say I never do anything for you!

Maybe Admin/Northe could add LADA and MODY? Are there any other types?

Maybe Admin/Northe could add LADA and MODY? Are there any other types?

hi There,
You can't be LADA and MODY at the same time can you ? They seem to be mutually exclusive conditions.
Neither Lada or T1.5 are actually accepted classifications. T1.5 is just a jokey thing from the internet. LADa is just Type 1. Many Endos want the LADA name dropped anyway because it is not "latent" - its in yer face.

There is no clear consensus on management of this form of diabetes. The aim seems to be the protection of the beta cells for as long as possible, hence the ban on sulfonylureas and the use of gliptins. But insulin also protects the beta cells ( the injected insulin takes over and your own cells rest).
So the medics are divided on whether to start insulin straight away or not.
Depends how long you have been suffering - you've had a T2 diagnosis for six months and might have been under the cosh for few years before that.
Which makes it difficult for you to work out how much of your honeymoon you have actually enjoyed.
Its something for you to research - should you be on insulin or not now ? You've had a torrid time on meds recently, do you really want to continue battling like that when the answer is straightforward and inevitable anyway ?
It would be interesting to find out if there are NICE or SIGN guidelines on the management of "Lada".

No, you can't be both LADA and MODY, I never suggested you could. The way my doctor described it, I'm not a type 1 yet though obviously headed in that direction, because I have a greater degree of function remaining than a classic type 1. Historically there were only the two types (sorry, three if you count gestational) of diabetes but researchers and the medical profession are realising that not everyone fits neatly into those boxes and that other options need to be considered hence the recent proliferation of labels. Maybe they'll decide in the end that there's just type 1 and type 2, or maybe the classifications will expand even more as medical knowledge increases. I have no problem being labelled LADA if it fits my personal version of the disease and means I have a better chance of getting a good level of control as my treatment regime is adjusted to fit my needs.

As for going onto insulin, we discussed it and the idea terrifies me, silly though that may be and I want to give the meds a fair chance first. It's an emotional not a logical response and it'll take me a while to move past that. The new pills may yet do the job, it's only been a day or two so far, I'll see where I am in three months time and then decide.

Thanks Peter, you seem to make sense! I'm a bit confused - originally diagnosed as type 2, but 1 year later on insulin, because in spite of determined weight loss, excercise, good diet etc, and pills - high HbA1c. Onto insulin - and found to be very sensitive to it. DSN tells me I am type 1 1/2 (LADA?), but for all intents and purposes type 1. Didn't have c-peptide test, but DSN is sure it would reveal I am type 1 1/2, from all indications. This appears to be a rather quick transition to insulin tho', unless I had been an undiagnosed diabetic for some time? :confused:

So, welcome to the club Alison! I will now change my type! - thanks Northe.

lovin the new pic Ali now your a MOD in a LADA ! heheee xxx

lovin the new pic Ali now your a MOD in a LADA ! heheee xxx

😱 We had one in the 80s that looked just like that. My brother and I were scarred for life by the shame of it. Seriously not cool. 😱

As for going onto insulin, we discussed it and the idea terrifies me, silly though that may be and I want to give the meds a fair chance first. It's an emotional not a logical response and it'll take me a while to move past that. The new pills may yet do the job, it's only been a day or two so far, I'll see where I am in three months time and then decide.

It terrified me, but I have to say, I am a lot happier and have much better control now that I am on insulin, and if it's any consolation, the injections are far less painful (and often pain-free) than the finger jabber! It was a shock emotionally, as you say, to suddenly find insulin injections being recommended. I hope the pills do the job and give you chance to adjust to your new diagnosis.

😱 We had one in the 80s that looked just like that. My brother and I were scarred for life by the shame of it. Seriously not cool. 😱

LOL, my sons used to hide when they rode in my KA! Not to mention when I drove a 2CV (kindly given to me by my parents when they got a new car.) Great fun when cornering or going over humped-back bridges!

forgot to say - parent's new car was a LADA - not sure it was an improvement on the 2CV! would rather be a MERCEDES Managing Everyday Random Carbohydrates Effecting Diabetes Especially blood Sugars!

Aye, but at least a 2CV had a bit of French je ne sais quoi. The Lada was just a tank masquerading as a car. A Ka? Oh dear, oh dear oh dear.
larfdogg.gif

Ha ha ha :D Yes, managed to pass it on to son (it got torched the next day
!!!) Now got a mondeo estate, altho' I have to confess, I like the look of the KA *ducks to avoid missiles*

Numbers are down already, I haven't been above 9.5 all day. Also, none of the plumbing upsets or nausea I was having until now. Happy me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back