I'm a LADA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
It's official. It seems some of the tests they did three weeks ago were for c-peptide and GAD when I thought it was for LDL/HDL and Gamma-GT. I've been taken off Metformin and put on Glucophage and Sitagliptin for now and will be closely monitored till we see how that works. The doctor doesn't want to put me on insulin unless it's absolutely necessary. She says, if all goes well the prognosis isn't that much different from what I was told initially, if I'm lucky I should have about 6 years before I need insulin.

Oh, and I've got iron pills for the anaemia. I should start rusting any day now.

I feel a lot happier now I know.

Glad you know alison i take iron pills for anemia and as yet i have been ok x

Knowing is half way to feeling better. I hope it all works well for you, or as well as it can

no your not your a smalla ???
no seriously maybe now you'll be able to get to grips with it all xxx

no your not your a smalla ???
no seriously maybe now you'll be able to get to grips with it all xxx

I certainly hope so. It's just such a relief to have the right diagnosis, now maybe I can get it under control. I've been worrying that I was cocking things up somehow but now I know it wasn't my fault. What a relief!

Excellent Alison - hopefully now they will be able to give you more precise treatment. It must be so much better knowing the correct diagnosis.🙂

At least you now know. Could anyone please explain to me what LADA is as i have forgotten and why is it different from type 2?😱🙂Bev

At least you now know. Could anyone please explain to me what LADA is as i have forgotten and why is it different from type 2?😱🙂Bev

It's a slow-onset loss of beta cell function, leading to insulin dependance. Type 2 is primarily insulin resistance.

Thanks Northey - so basically you end up a type 1 - but its just delayed?🙂Bev

Thanks Northey - so basically you end up a type 1 - but its just delayed?🙂Bev

Yes, it likely I was the same and may have continued for longer except I got a virus that was too much for my poor pancreas to take.

Welcome to the club - it's not exclusive though. I've heard lots of people are LADA but diagnosed as Type 2 until they get the results of the tests you've had. I suppose I was lucky as I was in hospital waiting for a gall bladder op and they ran some tests first and decided I wasn't a type 2 as originally thought by my Dr so it was confirmed fairly early on (October 2008).

The end result's still the same, isn't it ? - finger pricking, meds or insulin. Good luck with your own progress though.🙂

Thanks Vince. It's a bit like starting again, but at least I know.

and at least ally you will hopefully feel better ..interview soon good luck!🙂

and at least ally you will hopefully feel better ..interview soon good luck!🙂

Thursday. I'm trying to make sure my suit doesn't get covered in dog hairs (like everything else I own) so madam will be banished while I get ready. It's astounding how much hair one small Jack Russel can shed.

Good luck with all your new meds Alison. Hopefully you'll start to feel much better now you know where you are!

xx

Last edited:
Alison, glad you finally have a correct diagnosis, and will get the treatment you need. Hope you start feeling better really quickly.

Alison, glad you now know that you are LADA and can get the appropriate treatment.

You should start feeling better once the new meds kick in.

Time to change your profile. Glad to hear you have got the correct diagnosis, should mean you don't have trouble getting test strips etc.

Time to change your profile. Glad to hear you have got the correct diagnosis, should mean you don't have trouble getting test strips etc.

LADA isn't an option on the profiles and I don't want to masquerade as a Type 1 when I ain't yet, or am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back