ideas please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

Can we have some ideas for next weeks 'big night in' please? I am thinking we need to try a baked potato as Alex hasnt had one for a whole year!😱

I think it could be easier on the pump to get right - so would like to try - but am open to any other menu ideas too as its for everyone!

I also think we could revisit some of the 'problem' foods for people so we can alter how we dose etc.. I think that would be very helpful for some. I need to try the fajhitas again as results were not good and would like to learn how to do them.🙂Bev

I'd be up for jacket potato, id just add a nice filling oily fish maybe tuna to mine .

I have been told that 80% of people (I am presuming people on a pump, not sure) cannot get jacket potato, cheese and beans right. I am in that 80% and it is one of Jessica's fav meals but we just don't do it, it is a nightmare.

Jacket on its own we don't have a problem with but add either of those ingredient but especially both together and Houston we have lift off, up high as well !

I'm up for a jacket.

Bev you are good, I couldn't think what do to.

Am happy to retry stuff although not bothered about the f&c as that is just a disaster from start to finish !

How about a roast dinner one week. Are we up for doing that on a Wednesday. Doesn't have to be the full works but roasts can cause problems. I find that Jessica hardly needs any insulin for a roast and often hypos.

Shepherds pie would be good as we find mashed potato does awful things! 😱🙂Bev

Shepherds pie would be good as we find mashed potato does awful things! 😱🙂Bev

yopu know me im easy, ill try whatever the consensus goes with.

Baked potato with beans and cheese would suit us. 🙂

How about we do baked pots next Wednesday, Shepherds pie the Wednesday after, lasagne would be a good one for the week after that. Jessica has the tescos' ones sometimes and they play havoc. 🙂

How about we do baked pots next Wednesday, Shepherds pie the Wednesday after, lasagne would be a good one for the week after that. Jessica has the tescos' ones sometimes and they play havoc. 🙂

That sounds like a good idea =)

What about a meat and potato pie and mushy peas? (Or is that unpalatable to people in the South??) Got a reading of 20 last time I ate this, took 3U correction then had a massive crash in the night. So, I'm willing to try again....

What about a meat and potato pie and mushy peas? (Or is that unpalatable to people in the South??) Got a reading of 20 last time I ate this, took 3U correction then had a massive crash in the night. So, I'm willing to try again....

Sounds lovely. Jessica loves mushy peas so will be your best friend. Where can I get a meat and potato pie though? Will I have to make it?

Hmm, I think Steff and I would have to courier it down to you from the North! Perhaps we could just say any stodgy pie from the supermarket?

Hmm, I think Steff and I would have to courier it down to you from the North! Perhaps we could just say any stodgy pie from the supermarket?

lol yeah maybe grab yourself a nice meat and potato from tesco finest range ad.

Sounds like a Cornish pastie to me, that has meat and potatoes in it, but just a funny shape !

Will have to look for a stodgy meat and pot pie in Tescos next time. Need to check this out !

..........c) Shepherds/Cottage pie.........
What about making either of these with low-carbohydrate cauli-mash instead of mashed potatoes?

I've eaten cauli-mash cottage pie three times this week and I've had great results from my meter every time:

Sunday
Cauli-mash cottage pie, peas and gravy (including second helpings!)
5.7 - one hour after finishing eating
5.4 - two hours after finishing eating

Monday
Cauli-mash cottage pie, peas and gravy
5.5 - one hour after finishing eating

Tuesday
Cauli-mash cottage pie, peas with pickled beetroot and red cabbage
5.6 - one hour after finishing eating

In my opinion, the cauli-mash version is a much better option for the non-insulin dependent Type 2s such as me compared with the usual cottage/shepherd's pie made with mashed potatoes.

John

Baked spud with beans and cheese seems good to me.

I won't use butter. I'd prefer to use low fat cheese and lower carb beans if that's OK.

I'm not too keen on Fajhitas - too spicy. Had some Encheladas. (Excuse spelling) and they were OK so perhaps we might consider those.

Good idea Batwoman. I'd go with that...:D

What about making either of these with low-carbohydrate cauli-mash instead of mashed potatoes?

I've eaten cauli-mash cottage pie three times this week and I've had great results from my meter every time:

Sunday
Cauli-mash cottage pie, peas and gravy (including second helpings!)
5.7 - one hour after finishing eating
5.4 - two hours after finishing eating

Monday
Cauli-mash cottage pie, peas and gravy
5.5 - one hour after finishing eating

Tuesday
Cauli-mash cottage pie, peas with pickled beetroot and red cabbage
5.6 - one hour after finishing eating

In my opinion, the cauli-mash version is a much better option for the non-insulin dependent Type 2s such as me compared with the usual cottage/shepherd's pie made with mashed potatoes.

John

Hi John,
Sounds lovely and i will give it a go. The 'problem' with doing a low or no carb food is that there are very few takers! We did one last week and not many people seemed interested in doing it.:(Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back