Ice Cream

I would rather have a very, very occasional nice quality ice cream made with real dairy produce and sugar and have a good walk afterwards to burn most of it off than something sub standard made with chemicals and ultra processed foodstuffs, more frequently. I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners or plant based milks and having bought a significant number of different types of sweeteners and tried them, I have settled on not having them as they are either not sweet or have an horrid aftertaste. I maybe have 4 or 5 ice creams a year, I try to stick to having it in a tub rather than with a cone to cut carbs and stick to one scoop.

Re 'plant breeders making things sweeter'- i'm not convinced. I have an allotment. I have a laxton superb...a victorian apple, unchanged for over a century. It's as sweet as modern apples, as are cox's. Similar with heritage tomatoes compared to shop bought ones.
To be honest, modern plant breeding is more about getting stuff to ripen at the same time, look good, and have a long shelf life. Taste, inc sweetness, comes down the list.
Claims about sweetness are more for advertising in my opinion.
End of day, if you are looking to reduce empty carbs, its not fruit or veg you need to concentrate on
I think you make a good point about fruit and veg not being something that most diabetics need to worry about particularly. Leaving the specific issue of diabetes aside, I despair at how little fresh (or even frozen!) fruit and vegetables the youngsters in my extended family eat. As for trying to get them to eat fish ...

The trouble is that the ice cream on offer is so sweet - tossing in a shovel full of sugar increases the amount and decreases the cost to produce.
Last time I went into Tesco they were babbling on (over the PA system) about how super sweet their tomatoes are - the developers and breeders are working hard to increase the sugar content, and to me they taste vile. I have to ask for green salad, or that tomatoes not be included, if I eat out of the house.
Yes, it's such a shame (and so dangerous) that people in the UK (and the US, of course) are being programmed more and more to seek out sweet flavours. I don't drink cocktails but whenever I see a cocktail recipe nowadays it always seems to be full of some kind of syrupy concoction: so different to the ones described in James Bond :(

Re 'plant breeders making things sweeter'- i'm not convinced. I have an allotment. I have a laxton superb...a victorian apple, unchanged for over a century. It's as sweet as modern apples, as are cox's. Similar with heritage tomatoes compared to shop bought ones.
To be honest, modern plant breeding is more about getting stuff to ripen at the same time, look good, and have a long shelf life. Taste, inc sweetness, comes down the list.
End of day, if you are looking to reduce empty carbs, its not fruit or veg you need to concentrate on
Years ago I used to work for Lyons Tetley testing that the products did not develop off flavours in storage.
I was actually taken off tasting panels in a later job, as I could detect the taint from the inks used in the printing of the outer packaging passing through the inner layer of wrappings.
I trust what I can taste.
These days I do not eat many carbs at all and all are from low sugar fruit and low carb veges.
he announcement in the supermarket did actually make the claim that the tomatoes were being developed to be sweeter.

At least growing yourself you can pick slightly under ripe when they have a tartness. I am trying to cope with a bumper crop or Charles Ross apples which have the advantage of being eating and cooking, Bramley, Rosemary Russet, Cox, and a few Adam's permain which is a new tree as well as many varieties of tomatoes which all have their own characteristics in flavour.

I know the Worcester permain of old but Adam's???
I saw these apples in a church porch in February and they were in very fit condition so had stored well but didn't know what they were as they were an unusual shape. I sent a picture to Pomona fruits and they recognised them as an Adam's permain. The just happened to sell those particular trees so we bought one.

Back