i hyper but never hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Following a PM between me and a friend it suddenly got me thinking , since i was diagnosed in february i have not had a hypo yet only hypers and i see in here alot of type 1's have hypos but not many hypers, so do t1s have less hypers and more hypos then t2s,also do any other of you types 2s only have hypers or am i the only one who aint had hypo yet? (bare with me if you aint confused lol) its not that im wanting to have one but it made me curious

thanks in advance

It may depend on the drugs you're on and the dosages. I've had a couple of hypos lately as my general BGL has come down closer to normal levels. I'm told it's probably the Gliclazide. The lowest I've been is 2.5, which was scary and unpleasant. I'm hoping that once I'm 'stable' I'll be taken off the Gliclazide altogether, that's my aim at least. I'm hoping to be diet controlled in the end.

Following a PM between me and a friend it suddenly got me thinking , since i was diagnosed in february i have not had a hypo yet only hypers and i see in here alot of type 1's have hypos but not many hypers, so do t1s have less hypers and more hypos then t2s,also do any other of you types 2s only have hypers or am i the only one who aint had hypo yet? (bare with me if you aint confused lol) its not that im wanting to have one but it made me curious

thanks in advance

Hi Steff,

As you know I'm type 1 but I have hypos and hypers altho not so many of the hypers if I actually do what I'm supposed to do.

The tendancy for me is to go hypo but when I am ill I have a risk of going hyper as being on the pump means I have no slow acting insulin and my rapid gets used up quicker. The worst case was last September (when I hadn't been told that when ill I needed to increase my basal) and I ended up in hospital with DKA.

Can't speak for other type 1's tho

Andy

Hi Steff

I rarely get hyper, I think in the last 12 months I have had 1 reading of 11mmol, other than that I am never higher than 8.5mmol, but I do get hypo's a couple of times a week, but once again never lower than 3.2mmol. But as Alison said, it depends on medication to a certain extent. I am on insulin.

John

If I was on insulin would i get them less rare

Hi Steff

As you know from these boards, theres no one size fits all with this diabetes. But from my own experience I would say you were more likely to get a hypo and lesser degree of getting hyper on insulin, but someone will probably come along and pour scorn on that theory 🙂

John

Last edited:
I'm Type 2, and haven't experienced either!

xx

No john thats your opinion Im just wanting to know everyones thoughts thats all x

I've not experienced hypers either - I'm just boringly plodding along in the middle, lol. It HAS only been 3 months though, so plenty of time............ 🙄

xx

hmm it is a one to ponder been 8 mnth for me

Reading this has made me feel really silly - I know the 'number' definition of a hypo but what levels count as hyper?

It is good to aim to have your blood glucose levels in the range (4mmol/L - 8mmol/L) for 80% of the time. Everyone goes high sometimes. A high of up to 14mmol/L every now and then is okay as long as it settles back down again within the day.

If your blood glucose levels continue to climb, or if you are very unwell and your blood glucose levels are high, you should seek help. Health professionals usually become concerned if your blood glucose levels are above 17mmol/L and not settling.

Thanks Steff, I'd found that info too & it just confused me!! Does it mean that we are hypo if we are over 8 (and if so how long after a meal counts?) or if we go upto 14 - or if we go over 14?:confused::confused:

I hope it does not as i have many readings over 8 lol

maybe some one can help us out kaff
?? anyone got any hyper numbers for us please ??

I hope it does not as i have many readings over 8 lol

maybe some one can help us out kaff
?? anyone got any hyper numbers for us please ??

for me i consider a hyper as over 17

hypo is officially considered as below 3.9, although personally i think thats usually ok

According to the fountain of knowledge that is Wikipedia, chronic hyperglycemia is if you have consistant readings above 7mmol 😱, though the definition of acute hyperglycemia varies between 8 and 15mmol.

god and i was giving myself a pat on the back when i got myself down from 13 to 8 and slighlty under

Gosh, so it seems some people do consider it a hyper as low as over 8. I suppose I thought it would be much higher than that. I normally think of my levels in the 'ok - good do better' range (must go for that HBA1c) but I know if I'm over say 8.5 (definately over 9) I just want to go to sleep. It reminds me of how I felt all the time before I was diagnosed but the random blood test that got me sent off for all the tests was a 19!!

so if any of my readings are over 8 then im having a hyper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back