Hypos & how to treat with a 4 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two thoughts
1. Anything with carbs eg glucose gel or liquid starts absorbing through the inside of the cheeks before it even gets as far as your gullet hence if you get some on your own fingertip and can get that finger in the side of her mouth outside her teeth, no need to wake her fully really.
2. The very old advice to get rid of fizz in a drink is to plunge your red hot poker into your tankard so I would think the well heated bole of a spoon would do much the same these days - but hasten to add I've never seen either actually done.

Alternatively of course you can do the same as me when high carb orange Lucozade was available - I still like orange but find fizz very hard to swallow with low BG. Crack the lid open fully and don't fasten it down very tight then stand the bottle alongside the milk in the fridge door in between necessary swigs as needed.
I once treated two young teens non diabetic brothers who'd been snorkelling in the cold sea far too long and were completely knackered but still needed to walk back uphill to their camping pitch with full sugar Coke that had accidentally been in the sun all day - hot obviously to warm their innards up and also boost their blood glucose at least enough to get back to parents.

My kid was 8 when diagnosed so a little bit older. He’s now 13. We usually do gluco tabs for night time hypos and he’s in the habit of just opening his mouth while still 90% asleep to take them They’re not the nicest of things but they do work quickly. During the day we usually go with sweets - the mini packs of Haribo and skittles are perfect. But obviously if she’s sleepy and not wanting to chew then that’s not the best idea. Milk is fine for higher hypos but will be slower than juice etc because of the fat so we don’t use it for low hypos. It’s a good option for tooth health though. Ella’s fruit pouches are around 13g of carbs so might be a good option. Or dilute the juice. The sports lucozade is an option but my kid doesn’t like it. There is the gluco gel that you should have on prescription and you can also get gluco juice on prescription but my kid was never really a fan of them. Obviously you need to be working on reducing the number of night time hypos so hopefully the reduction in basal will help. Is she also having a snack once she’s no longer hypo? Milk can be a good option for that too.

Sometimes once a newly diagnosed patient has some insulin therapy their body kicks back in to managing to produce some insulin so keep in touch with your team about her numbers and take their advice. They were really helpful for us in those first few weeks and months.

I promise it does get easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back