Hypo Awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if hypo unawreness is related to the time you've been diabetic?

Not really but time does occasionally come into play. Even those recently diagnosed can lose their hypo awareness, sometimes too tight control can cause this or frequent episodes, best way is to keep them to a minimal wherever possible.

I am another one who find things to do on the way to treat a hypo, usually start to tidy things up, things that have been lying around for days and suddenly it's very important to tidy them up before I get to the kitchen.

I am sometimes not picking up my hypos as early as I used to, last night I was going to get dinner and someone asked me if I was ok because I looked a bit spaced out, she insisted I test and I was 2.7,

I am another one who find things to do on the way to treat a hypo, usually start to tidy things up, things that have been lying around for days and suddenly it's very important to tidy them up before I get to the kitchen.

I am sometimes not picking up my hypos as early as I used to, last night I was going to get dinner and someone asked me if I was ok because I looked a bit spaced out, she insisted I test and I was 2.7,

thats me as well I find myself giving the grandkids there lunch and know I need something but still have to get them sorted first, then when I test its in the 2.0. Iget that mad when someone says are you ok. and I keep saying yes even though I know I am not.

I find myself knowing that I'm lo and need to do something about it....but thats as far as my thought process goes....my brain seems to stop at that and the bit that makes me do something about it just doesnt happen!

I find myself knowing that I'm lo and need to do something about it....but thats as far as my thought process goes....my brain seems to stop at that and the bit that makes me do something about it just doesnt happen!

I don't suppose it's that unusual that we start losing rationality - after all our brains are being starved of energy! I often spend ages trying to decide which colour jelly baby I'm going to eat...😱

My hypo awareness is not very good these days, tends to be in the low 2's before I notice and by that time my vision has started going! I also get the strange need to tidy/clean when hypo rather than actually treat it, I thought that was just me being odd - nice to know I'm not alone 😛

OK little bit worried now. Just tested at 3.3 and feel nothing! I'm suffering from a severe (some would say deadly 😉) case of man-flu at the moment :(. Could this be masking the common hypo symptoms?

OK little bit worried now. Just tested at 3.3 and feel nothing! I'm suffering from a severe (some would say deadly 😉) case of man-flu at the moment :(. Could this be masking the common hypo symptoms?

Are you taking anything for the man-flu? Some medications can mask the symptoms of hypo. It might also depend on how quickly you are falling. I find that symptoms are more pronounced in me if I am earlier rather than later in my insulin cycle. By that, I mean that symptoms are greater if my insulin is peaking or still pretty active rather than when it is almost exhausted at around 4-5 hours after injecting and prior to my next meal.

Ha! Could well be!

I find my hypo symptoms are less 'hypo' symptoms and more 'dropping BG' symptoms. I can be 6 & dropping and feel hypo, but if my BG has hovered around 4 or 5 for a while I won't get symptoms until I'm in the 2s.

So actually, despite pumping supposedly having the opposite effect, my hypo symptoms have faded. Because my BG is lower and much more steady than on MDI, it takes me longer to have hypo symptoms. However, I test about a gazillion times a day and I know the times when I'm most at risk, so I always spot them 🙂

My awareness varies. Sometimes I catch them, sometimes I feel perfectly fine until, like northy, I see the number! I don't think it's odd that we don't always treat them straight away anymore, I did but not now. My wife has screamed at me before now as I've been pacing around the kitchen trying to decide if I should use a drink or some tabs, then making a cup of tea instead of doing either 😱

fortunatley I always seem to feel low at 3.5-4.0. On the odd occasion the symptoms can be missed................

On the subject of doing crazy things while hypo...

On occasion I've put myself through an "endurance test" while under the influence of a hypo, trying to see how long I can go with the symptoms before it's too much and I have to have sugar... 😱

9 times out of 10 the symptoms make me feel quite panicky because I feel as though I'm going to pass out any minute (although haven't done for 17 years!). When at home I shout at my OH to get me Lucozade. At work I abandon everything & refuse to do anything until my BG comes up. And on the go, I panic even more because I'm on my own and this is when I tend to overtreat 😱

Carol's awareness varies too. Sometimes she feels shaky at quite a high number, but not notice anything until she sees the low numbers (1.7 once and not noticed)

Yesterday, before the evening meal she was 2!! My hubby asked her if she didn't feel it then. she replied that she just thought she was hungry because it's dinner time. I do try and get her to do her test 15 minutes before dishing up, but yesterday her dinner had to go back in the oven to keep warm!

K really scared me the other day - she told me she sometimes wakes up in the night thinking she may be hypo then goes straight back to sleep again 😱

Told her (calmly:D) she must not do this but she says she cant help it!

Last edited:
I usually spot hypos but sometimes I can't understand why I've suddenly become really, really tired - and then it takes a few minutes to realise that it is a hypo and that it isn't because I need a sleep!!! Fortunately this only happens when I'm at home and very relaxed 🙄

Oh 'eck!

Katie really scared me the other day - she told me she sometimes wakes up in the night thinking she may be hypo then goes straight back to sleep again 😱

Sleep unfortunately, is quite a natural thing to want to do when your sugars - and therefore energy - is low. The body is a wonderful, yet mad as biscuits thing. As mentioned your liver comes to the rescue when you drop below 3'ish but needs a refill to work again. Bear in mind that Kate is fairly new to the game and it's hard enough for anyone, let alone a wee lass, to get their heads around but with time she'll start picking up the pointers and benefits of acting on them. The fact you worry (in my book) is a good thing... Shows you're a decent mam!

----------------

On occasion I've put myself through an "endurance test" while under the influence of a hypo, trying to see how long I can go with the symptoms before it's too much and I have to have sugar... 😱

I've tried a similar thing but for slightly different reasons... If I do a test and I'm 3 or under I'll do one every 15 minutes to see if I actually get any sensation of hypo. When it drops below 2 I cut my losses and bite the heads off a jelly baby or 2. So far it's shown nothing. A slight worry if anything but that's more than likely down to the impending risk of sparking out!

I find my hypo symptoms are less 'hypo' symptoms and more 'dropping BG' symptoms.

So actually, despite pumping supposedly having the opposite effect, my hypo symptoms have faded.

These drop warnings were one of the last things I stopped having. I'm in the pipeline for pump training largely for the reasons you say. To level off and hopefully regain symptoms of hypo. I'm glad you mentioned this here so I can have a chin wag about it when I go to get strung up as my old PE teacher used to say!

-------------------------

Lastly. (Bet you can tell my eyes are on the up. Heheh)...

A lot of people here mention warning signs of hypo, be it shaky legs, buzzing lips and a 101 other signs (All of which I seem to get sweet Fanny Adams of). These are referred to by many as primary signs... Signs you spot yourself. But what about external warnings?

I'm just wondering if anyone has a problem with these showing. The reason I ask is that a good few years ago (between '93 and 2000) I worked in a hospital pharmacy and had a few real stinkers.

Everyone knew of my diabetes including a lot of nurses, doctors, porters. Not just in my own department but throughout the hospital. Even so I'd be wandering round for 2 or 3 hours doing a 15 minute ward run, locking the controlled drugs keys inside their own cabinet on another ward, but no-one noticed anything odd. It'd take the gaffer to give me a rollocking for skiving and me telling her to... Go away before anyone would pick up. Even then a mate of mine who worked there and I'd known for yonks would have to step in then.

My mam and dad struggle as well and pick on things that aren't signs - just in case - which I appreciate, but can be a tad annoying.

Even at the DAFNE course a few weeks back, I'd dropped through the floor and neither of the nurses or the roomful of diabetics had noticed. I got home and tested and was 1.7 but the entire afternoon had gone. I only realised how much of the afternoon had gone when we were in the next days session and I didn't have a clue what anyone was talking about and didn't remember how I'd got home... Not ideal!

Well... Nearly 1 1/2 hours typing and I can still see OK... Top banana!!! 😛

I don't suppose it's that unusual that we start losing rationality - after all our brains are being starved of energy! I often spend ages trying to decide which colour jelly baby I'm going to eat...😱

So which is your favourite? I like the red and black ones, maybe we could do trades of our favourites?

I used to work with someone who knew I was hypo before I did. This was in the days before home blood testing. He'd say "you need to eat" and I'd argue, then 10 minutes later I'd feel it! He said "your face sort of drops" interesting if a little strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back