How were you diagnosed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet the GP did. He was a proper old school style one but a great GP. They still use this test. I'll be learning a fair bit about point of care testing over the next few years.

Tom

ew, ew, ew, ew gross. Fair enough in the greek days but COME ON PEOPLE. drinking wee is kinda gross 😱

april 1991. at the time, both my parents were nurses (my mum still is, my dad isn't) and my mum recognised the symptoms. she took me to the dr twice who diagnosed me with a virus of some kind, then she took me back a final time to my actual GP and he sent me straight to the hospital. apparently even now he asks how i am, and him and my mum joke that i still hate him for diagnosing me 😛

well mine is a long story 😱 here we go , i was 20 and just had my first child was sent home after a c section with a slight temp . Three weeks after i was rushed to the local hospital with stomach pains and a very high fever i had pancreaitis due to gallstones {very rare at my young age }due to bad medical care i ended up on life support and rushed to a brilliant hospital who after 3 weeks got me in to a normal ward unfortanty by this time the damage was already done and i had psycrysts on my pancreas and this mean that over half of my pancreas had died after major surgery i was told that i had a 70% chance of diabetes in the future . a year later my hubby had gone on a camping weekend with friends when my gp phoned {as i had been there a few days before with weight loss thirst and thrush }saying that my blood work had come back and i had diabetes and to start tablets he had left them at the hospital chemist for me as this was after 6 on a friday nite so that my story

ew, ew, ew, ew gross. Fair enough in the greek days but COME ON PEOPLE. drinking wee is kinda gross 😱

Chug, chug, chug, chug! 😛 😛 Things have only really just begun to change. Diagnosis of diabetes is now helped by urine dipsticks which also test for a variety of things. The taste test is used becuse it's quick, simple and free.

Hello,

I was diagnose in December 1996, couple of weeks before xmas and in the middle of Uni exams. Noticed I was thirsty a lot, blurred vision and frequent visits to the toilets.

2 of my cousins were diabetic at the time so I kind of already knew. Went to GP who did a finger blood test and said my BG was 17. He referred me to hospital, but for some reason I wasn't sent there straight away - I think it was 2 days after he'd seen me that I was admitted for 2 days. Got started on insulin injections straight away using mixtard 30 and testing BG using a Reflolux S meter (the ones that used the coloured strips and took 2 minutes to get a reading!).

NiVZ

Chug, chug, chug, chug! 😛 😛 Things have only really just begun to change. Diagnosis of diabetes is now helped by urine dipsticks which also test for a variety of things. The taste test is used becuse it's quick, simple and free.

what does it taste like? sweet??? what does it normally taste of?? questions you students need to answer...

what does it taste like? sweet??? what does it normally taste of?? questions you students need to answer...

It tastes sweet as the way that the body excretes excess sugar, specifically vast excesses, is in the urine.

It tastes sweet as the way that the body excretes excess sugar, specifically vast excesses, is in the urine.

thanks for that tom....does it smell different when you running high aswell...(soz)

I was diagnosed in Nov 1995, in my final year at uni, and feeling awful. I had was not putting on any weight despite eating loads. I could not get through 2 lectures in a row without running out to buy diet coke in the middle. I once bought 4 cans of juice on the walk home, about 1.5 miles. It was the recurrent fungal infection which sent me to the doctors and made them check my blood glucose. I had a test done in the morning (can't remember what) was told only to drink water, not to eat anything and to go back in the afternoon for the result. I went back, was told i was diabetic and was in the clinic 2 hours later being shown how to give my self injections. I was not admitted at all. I can remember sitting in my flat that evening in a complete state of shock. I was in and out of the clinic for a few days and remember feeling relieved that I was starting to feel better.

Ok, Rachel T's crazy (coz that's what it felt like at the time) diagnosis story. September 2008 was a popular month for diabetes diagnosis (snap! AM64 and Corrine!). I'd been drinking and peeing like nobody's business for a while but reakoned it was some kind of urine infection or the hot weather that was the problem. I work in a hospital pharmacy and i'd realised by about 10 o'clock one morning that the blurry vision i'd suffered from hadn't gone away like i'd expected. I didn't have a GP (coz i was never ill) so, seeing as i was now pretty scared, i was persuaded to go up to the minor injuries unit. I still expected to be given some antibiotics and sent home. Nope, i got my urine and blood tested and sent off to A&E. They asked me how long i'd been diabetic, to which the smart answer was about half an hour... i spent most of the day in a state of dissociated freaked-ness, and nearly gave my dad a heart attack ( he's the one with the least medical problems...) and a speeding fine.
A doctor finally gave me the news...the good news, i'd have free prescriptions and at least two weeks off work, bad news, i'd have to have insulin injections. (turns out he was wrong on the last point, at least for now i'm on metformin). And he told me off for eating a sandwich (look, the fools offered it to me and it'd been all i'd eaten since breakfast)
I've got two grandparents with type 2 diabetes and at least two of my great grandparents were diabetics of some form. I figured it would happen to me one day, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting it the week after my 32nd birthday.

Pass, I don't know about that one. You can see it change in colour some time though.

Sweet urine smells really sweet and sickly funnily enough. I noticed it badly when i was having my epic rebellion. It smells strong too, almost like the first wee of the morning, but ten times as worse

yucky eh?

Sweet urine smells really sweet and sickly funnily enough. I noticed it badly when i was having my epic rebellion. It smells strong too, almost like the first wee of the morning, but ten times as worse

yucky eh?

Ah what the wonderous world of odours can teach us! Talking of which...my lab session in an hour and a half will have bits of formaldehyde preserved tissue in it.

Ah what the wonderous world of odours can teach us! Talking of which...my lab session in an hour and a half will have bits of formaldehyde preserved tissue in it.

yum😱 what fun things you choose to do Tom!

Ok, Rachel T's crazy (coz that's what it felt like at the time) diagnosis story. September 2008 was a popular month for diabetes diagnosis (snap! AM64 and Corrine!). I'd been drinking and peeing like nobody's business for a while but reakoned it was some kind of urine infection or the hot weather that was the problem. I work in a hospital pharmacy and i'd realised by about 10 o'clock one morning that the blurry vision i'd suffered from hadn't gone away like i'd expected. I didn't have a GP (coz i was never ill) so, seeing as i was now pretty scared, i was persuaded to go up to the minor injuries unit. I still expected to be given some antibiotics and sent home. Nope, i got my urine and blood tested and sent off to A&E. They asked me how long i'd been diabetic, to which the smart answer was about half an hour... i spent most of the day in a state of dissociated freaked-ness, and nearly gave my dad a heart attack ( he's the one with the least medical problems...) and a speeding fine.
A doctor finally gave me the news...the good news, i'd have free prescriptions and at least two weeks off work, bad news, i'd have to have insulin injections. (turns out he was wrong on the last point, at least for now i'm on metformin). And he told me off for eating a sandwich (look, the fools offered it to me and it'd been all i'd eaten since breakfast)
I've got two grandparents with type 2 diabetes and at least two of my great grandparents were diabetics of some form. I figured it would happen to me one day, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting it the week after my 32nd birthday.

September must have definitely been the month for it then! I managed to avoid the speeding fine but ate and drank all the things I shouldn't have while 'hiding'. I later found out that both my mother, maternal grandmother and great grandmother had diabetes...so I blame them lol!

May 2003....i was 6 months pregnant, had a glucose load....thinking i may have gestational diabetes.....BG was 47mmol - a district nurse came round to my house at 8.30pm and told me i had to go to hospital right there and then...told me i should be in a coma etc etc - 2 weeks previously to that i had seen my midwife and complained of excessive thirst, and blurred vision....nothing was done. Thankfully i had that glucose load otherwise god knows what would have happened!

Was very difficult 2003 - i had just over a month to get used to being diabetic and using insulin before i had my first child! Both of these together pushed me into a bit of post natal depression as you can imagine!

Now all is fine and im nearly into my 7th year of it....still have a lot of ups and downs but doesnt everybody!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back