How others view Diabetes and Diabetics

Sorry, I see that a contradiction, you say you chose to drink and smoke, and people frown but you seem to blame your circumstances for doing so. My husband and daughter are thinner than I and eat far worse and well they are fitter and do move easier but their bodies cope with it. You choose not to make you superior and somehow shame us who cannot seem to get on top of our game as you obviously have done. Makes you feel pious maybe which is still blaming us. We did not make the choice that our bodies would not cope. I did not eat after my first blood sugar and it went up on its own. I have eaten now and in 14 minutes it will be the 2 hr check and I know it has gone down I can feel it. So food does not always make me fat and diabetic. Is not a plus b =? Or the whole world at some point in the day would be diabetics. They shame us to blame us like you FACT.
I* apologise, that was NEVER my intent. I have now deleted the reply you found offensive.

I* apologise, that was NEVER my intent. I have now deleted the reply you found offensive.
You never got my meaning either. Apologies if I was at fault too. I am in a bit of a bad place with it all at the moment. Blood sugars went up this morning not down as I predicted and were still high after lunch

I’m sorry to hear that, I hope they recover quickly. Take it easy
Even my apology is wrong I said at fault too. It should just be me. Not a good day. Forgive me.

Well today, after over a month, I finally received an apology from my Surgery for the awful way in which my diagnosis was delivered. Apparently it Is now part of ‘Lessons Learned’ … Manners? Consideration? Caring? These are human traits, do they really need to be learnt? Ugh!

The apology is almost as painful as my first meeting with the Surgery’s Diabetes Nurse who told me I was on a ‘Diabetes Journey’. Double Ugh! I pointed out to her that I was NOT there for a ‘Journey’ but to save my flipping life!! God help from this twaddle people talk today.

Well today, after over a month, I finally received an apology from my Surgery for the awful way in which my diagnosis was delivered. Apparently it Is now part of ‘Lessons Learned’ … Manners? Consideration? Caring? These are human traits, do they really need to be learnt? Ugh!

The apology is almost as painful as my first meeting with the Surgery’s Diabetes Nurse who told me I was on a ‘Diabetes Journey’. Double Ugh! I pointed out to her that I was NOT there for a ‘Journey’ but to save my flipping life!! God help from this twaddle people talk today.
I am pleased you have an apology but with regard to being on a diabetes journey, many of us here very much relate to that analogy.
It is a slow, steady process of learning to manage your diabetes well and improve your diet and lifestyle and general health and sometimes you will take wrong turns and sometimes you will go in the right direction and sometimes it will be plain sailing and feel reasonably easy and straightforward and other times it will turbulent and challenging. Sometimes life gets in the way of you managing it well and stress or bereavement or illness mean that it is difficult to make managing your diabetes a priority but gradually you learn that finding time to look after yourself means life is easier in the long run.
So, I have no problem with your nurse describing it as a journey, because that is very much how it is for me and I am very pleased to report I am in a smooth sailing phase at the moment. I know from experience that it won't last, but I am enjoying the ride whilst it does!

My lord...that wasn't much of an apology was it @Plumeraider?...they should have done so much as better than this.

Plus there’s a significant genetic component. 2 people could have just the same ‘lifestyle’, and even have the same amount of insulin resistance, but one would develop T2D, while the other never would.
Do you think this is something other than the idea of the personal fat threshold?

Do you think this is something other than the idea of the personal fat threshold?
The doctor who first diagnosed me (back in 2003) told me that it was a genetic thing. That if no one in my family had it, I wouldn't have it either. My paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather both had it. At least one of my paternal uncles had it too. And he was a skinny galee.

As some of you may know, my diagnosis to T2D was only given to me on Tuesday and a very unpleasant experience that was, not just about the illness itself but the disgusting, uncaring and arrogant way the news was delivered to me by some non-medical staff at my surgery.
Since then I have spoken to a good friend of mine who has worked for many years in very senior roles supporting vulnerable people, dealing with their health issues, their families, the authorities, and their medical professionals. To my surprise, she wasn’t shocked by callous way my diagnosis was delivered, she has seen it before.
She believes there is a common misconception that all diabetes is caused by obesity and obesity is a lifestyle choice, hence the unsympathetic approach shown by many, including HCPs, to those who are diagnosed diabetic. I am curious to know if this has been similar to the experiences others have had when diagnosed or treated, and if my friend’s belief makes sense? I have a horrible feeling it does.
Hi there,
So sorry your T2D diagnosis was not a good experience for you! I am part of the Diabetes Stigma Panel with Diabetes UK because it's recognised that there's plenty of stigma towards diabetics especially at time of diagnosis.
If your willing could you send me a private message about your experience as from your post it does seem you was on the end of stigma , and with your permission I'd like to share your experience with the Stigma Panel in a Anonymous way .
The panel will be coming up wit ways that stigma can be challenged and we'll be suggesting what can be better language to use with people especially when giving diagnosis as that really is the time where healthcare staff would want to communicate in a such a way that would not put people off from engaging with on going treatment and diabetes care plans.

The doctor who first diagnosed me (back in 2003) told me that it was a genetic thing. That if no one in my family had it, I wouldn't have it either. My paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather both had it. At least one of my paternal uncles had it too. And he was a skinny galee.
Did the doctor explain further how it was a genetic thing for you?

If there is a genetic component does this mean that you go diabetic if there is a family history no matter what you do? Or on the other hand no matter what you eat or what lifestyle you lead if there is no family history you won't be diabetic?

I ask because I know people who are diabetic who have a family history and others who are diabetic who do not have a family history. Also, one of my friend's sisters was diabetic and yet my friend can eat what she likes and never has any problems with her blood sugars. She is in her mid 70s now.

As far as obesity is concerned one of my friend's husbands is diabetic and he is underweight and yet I know obese people who have no blood sugar problems at all.

Well bit like catching a cold or a chest infection - if the necessary bacteria just happen to be in the air that you happen to breathe in, you might get a cold or infection and you might not, depending on how susceptible you happen to be to whatever bacterium it was that you breathed in. Having 'a family history of something' just makes you more susceptible, not guaranteed you'll get it too.

So far for instance - I've never had cancer whereas my mum, dad and only sister all did. I just got diabetes that there's no history of - Oh but I did get my mother's flipping bunion, and very painful it is too the hateful thing.

See what I mean? - nobody knows 100% !

We have what we have and have to cope with it the best we can .
Blame shame ignore all you like . Guilt only worsens the issues so lets help each other.
please!

Well bit like catching a cold or a chest infection - if the necessary bacteria just happen to be in the air that you happen to breathe in, you might get a cold or infection and you might not, depending on how susceptible you happen to be to whatever bacterium it was that you breathed in. Having 'a family history of something' just makes you more susceptible, not guaranteed you'll get it too.

So far for instance - I've never had cancer whereas my mum, dad and only sister all did. I just got diabetes that there's no history of - Oh but I did get my mother's flipping bunion, and very painful it is too the hateful thing.

See what I mean? - nobody knows 100% !
Thank you.

Back