How others view Diabetes and Diabetics

Great use of technology. My brothers major bowel surgery was done on a Davinci robot by one of the surgeons who helped with its development. It was the only possibility for him, he was considered inoperable by conventional methods. Brilliant piece of kit but there is a but...

The surgery is highly dependent on the accuracy and quality of the scans that are done. If the cancer is caught sufficiently early then the removal really is little more than day surgery if the surgeon is experienced and the patient is otherwise fit and healthy. If, as in my brothers' case, the scans grossly underestimated the extent of the tumours, then it is far from day surgery as the surgeons, taken by surprise, have to start thinking on their feet.

@trophywench keep going on your work with respect to prostate cancer. Great if you can get people to understand that surgery is the final part of the story. The scans are equally important and for some patients, need to be more than a simple box ticking exercise.

As some of you may know, my diagnosis to T2D was only given to me on Tuesday and a very unpleasant experience that was, not just about the illness itself but the disgusting, uncaring and arrogant way the news was delivered to me by some non-medical staff at my surgery.
Since then I have spoken to a good friend of mine who has worked for many years in very senior roles supporting vulnerable people, dealing with their health issues, their families, the authorities, and their medical professionals. To my surprise, she wasn’t shocked by callous way my diagnosis was delivered, she has seen it before.
She believes there is a common misconception that all diabetes is caused by obesity and obesity is a lifestyle choice, hence the unsympathetic approach shown by many, including HCPs, to those who are diagnosed diabetic. I am curious to know if this has been similar to the experiences others have had when diagnosed or treated, and if my friend’s belief makes sense? I have a horrible feeling it does.
Hi, I do sympathise. I lost count how many times a doctor asked if I was a diabetic because I was overweight' and how dissapointed they looked when I wasn't! I had blood tests in July 22 everything fine but by January 23 after months of what I thought was a recurring UTI I had had a finger prick test with a reading of 23 and then a H1etc reading of 120. I was put on metformin and gliclazide, told to notify DVLA and lose weight. All the literature I was given was about the dangers of having too low blood sugar readings - which obviously wasn't my problem at that time - I fortunately read the DVLA paperwork they gave me properly - In my circumstances I did not need to notify them. No one told me how drastically the effect of the meds could be on my eyesight - to the point that I went into work one day and couldn't read the computer screen. This was very frightening. It took a couple of months for my vision to stabilise. It wasnt an option to have temporary glasses as I have a complex and expensive prescription (and varifocals) and order to supply was about two weeks in which time they had changed again. It was a nightmare. I got down to a H1 reading of 62 within 6 months. Ive lost weight steadily through modified diet. Then had third H1 about 14months after the first test and this was 60. Suddenly this triggered a 'you must try rebelsus (excuse spelling) tablets'. I was a bit concerned about the side affects as I have practically a phobia about vomiting - I find i very distressing). She was quite short and said the only alternative would be insulin and was pointedly told rebelsus costs the NHS £78 a prescription. It made me feel so small like I was deliberately trying to get weight loss tablets or should be grateful that they were willing to supply them. Ive worked all my life and paid national insurance rarely visited the doctors until this condition appeared out of the blue at age 59. I am the lightest I have been in almost 30 years, having lost 2 stone since diagnosis. Its unpopular perhaps to say but I dont actually like being thinner all that much, I feel the cold, everything aches, the upset stomach and cramping from the tablets is intermittent the sulphur burbs have started. I am in fact fairly miserable about it. Getting compliments on losing weight from some strangers family saying I look dreadful and have aged drastically. Having someone imply that you bought it on yourself and you are costing the NHS money is infuriating. I was incredibly surprised when I asked - is my pancreas not producing the insulin or is it my body not absorbing it property - and she said there was no test to determine that? Ive got no appetite and no interest in food, dont even want to cook - just feel faintly sick all the time. why anyone would do this voluntarily is beyond me. I'm persevering for now as I am on the list for a knee replacement and they want my blood sugar levels down to reduce chances of post op complications/likelihood of infection

I have experienced stigma a few times over the years including from a senior Endocrinologist who treated me appallingly when my eatting disorder relapsed. Diabetes U.K. are running a stigma panel to work on their approach to this issue https://volunteer.diabetes.org.uk/opportunities/66008-stigma-panel-member-v1-2024-05-14 many of your experiences would make you potential candidates and it’s a volunteer role you can do from home and so worthwhile.

Our health care in Canada is broken to. We have a doctor shortage, don’t get me started on that. It’s really bad here, I remember my mom saying don’t get sick health care has gone down the drain, waiting lists for everything, shortages, it’s been like this for a few years now so who ever thinks Canada has a great health care system, it’s not. Maybe 20 years ago, but now it’s terrible. And I agree ever person with diabetes should be treated with respect and dignity. My doctor was pretty rude with me when diagnosed. And another doctor was to to the point I drove home in tears. It’s got to stop, no wonder people with diabetes gets depressed were looked down on, and judged. So very very sad.

As some of you may know, my diagnosis to T2D was only given to me on Tuesday and a very unpleasant experience that was, not just about the illness itself but the disgusting, uncaring and arrogant way the news was delivered to me by some non-medical staff at my surgery.
Since then I have spoken to a good friend of mine who has worked for many years in very senior roles supporting vulnerable people, dealing with their health issues, their families, the authorities, and their medical professionals. To my surprise, she wasn’t shocked by callous way my diagnosis was delivered, she has seen it before.
She believes there is a common misconception that all diabetes is caused by obesity and obesity is a lifestyle choice, hence the unsympathetic approach shown by many, including HCPs, to those who are diagnosed diabetic. I am curious to know if this has been similar to the experiences others have had when diagnosed or treated, and if my friend’s belief makes sense? I have a horrible feeling it does.
My diagnosis was unpleasant to, very rude, and didn’t give me any advice. I was in tears about a few weeks after didn’t know what I was doing, didn’t mention a meter till I took the classes they gave me a free one I felt so stupid, they said where’s your meter I said what meter, your doctor should of set you up with a blood glucose meter. It must happen a lot because they gave one to me. Totally in the dark.

My diagnosis was unpleasant to, very rude, and didn’t give me any advice. I was in tears about a few weeks after didn’t know what I was doing, didn’t mention a meter till I took the classes they gave me a free one I felt so stupid, they said where’s your meter I said what meter, your doctor should of set you up with a blood glucose meter. It must happen a lot because they gave one to me. Totally in the dark.
I'm so sorry to hear your lousy treatment. Like you it took me almost two weeks to stop crying and come to terms about it, then I decided to go on the 'attack'. I have raised a complaint with the Practice Manager and CQC about how badly and distressing my diagnosis was handled.
Since my diagnosis on the 2nd of July, I still haven't seen anyone so, no information (other than on here) and no equipment either. However I did manage a telephone call with my Doctor yesterday who apologised repeatedly for the poor performance of the surgery's receptionist who rang me. My Doctor wasn't aware of how I had been informed of my T2D and was annoyed that it wasn't handled as she expected. I am now booked in for a face-to-face meeting with a DN. I will get some proper information then (or I am not leaving the surgery).

My T2 diagnosis 31 years ago was more amusing than problematical.
I had gone to see my doctor (a nice, friendly chap) at his request, and we had a few minutes of inconsequential chit-chat / small talk, then he asked me, "Why have you come to see me?"
I replied, "It was you who wanted to see me!"
"Oh," he said, looking at his notes. "You have type 2 diabetes, and your blood test has come back in the high 20s!"

And so 'my diabetes journey' started!

Just a quick one I like in Lincolnshire and not been seen by a nurse for two years and when ask I was told it up to you to make an appointment it call saving money in Lincolnshire

Hi, I do sympathise. I lost count how many times a doctor asked if I was a diabetic because I was overweight' and how dissapointed they looked when I wasn't! I had blood tests in July 22 everything fine but by January 23 after months of what I thought was a recurring UTI I had had a finger prick test with a reading of 23 and then a H1etc reading of 120. I was put on metformin and gliclazide, told to notify DVLA and lose weight. All the literature I was given was about the dangers of having too low blood sugar readings - which obviously wasn't my problem at that time - I fortunately read the DVLA paperwork they gave me properly - In my circumstances I did not need to notify them. No one told me how drastically the effect of the meds could be on my eyesight - to the point that I went into work one day and couldn't read the computer screen. This was very frightening. It took a couple of months for my vision to stabilise. It wasnt an option to have temporary glasses as I have a complex and expensive prescription (and varifocals) and order to supply was about two weeks in which time they had changed again. It was a nightmare. I got down to a H1 reading of 62 within 6 months. Ive lost weight steadily through modified diet. Then had third H1 about 14months after the first test and this was 60. Suddenly this triggered a 'you must try rebelsus (excuse spelling) tablets'. I was a bit concerned about the side affects as I have practically a phobia about vomiting - I find i very distressing). She was quite short and said the only alternative would be insulin and was pointedly told rebelsus costs the NHS £78 a prescription. It made me feel so small like I was deliberately trying to get weight loss tablets or should be grateful that they were willing to supply them. Ive worked all my life and paid national insurance rarely visited the doctors until this condition appeared out of the blue at age 59. I am the lightest I have been in almost 30 years, having lost 2 stone since diagnosis. Its unpopular perhaps to say but I dont actually like being thinner all that much, I feel the cold, everything aches, the upset stomach and cramping from the tablets is intermittent the sulphur burbs have started. I am in fact fairly miserable about it. Getting compliments on losing weight from some strangers family saying I look dreadful and have aged drastically. Having someone imply that you bought it on yourself and you are costing the NHS money is infuriating. I was incredibly surprised when I asked - is my pancreas not producing the insulin or is it my body not absorbing it property - and she said there was no test to determine that? Ive got no appetite and no interest in food, dont even want to cook - just feel faintly sick all the time. why anyone would do this voluntarily is beyond me. I'm persevering for now as I am on the list for a knee replacement and they want my blood sugar levels down to reduce chances of post op complications/likelihood of infection
I was told 13year ago I was T2 and was 17st and was taken tablets so.i lost the weight down to 15st the table was killing me and when I when back she put me on blood pressure tablets and cholesterol table in the end I stop taking all the tablets and got a blood pressure monitor and a blood monitor where you do your own redring and keep a record so next time you can show the nurse your reading because no two people are the same with diabetes

I had a sort of reverse experience in Specsavers today. I’m 68, normal weight, (BMI 20) and the assistant doing my paperwork did name, address, etc, and then said 'and you're not diabetic…'and was about to skip to the next question when I had to stop her and say, yes I am! So she brought up short looking slightly gobsmacked, and went back and ticked the box. Then I went into the Optometrist, who checked a few details, and said, 'what medication do you take for your diabetes…Oh, Insulin! (she’d just actually bothered to read my notes from my previous visit) Oh! Are you Type 1? (assume amazed expression, like, she’d never seen one of those before!)

A very unpleasant experience that was, not just about the illness itself but the disgusting, uncaring and arrogant way the news was delivered to me by some non-medical staff at my surgery.
It's not just diabetes care where this attitude is rampant. I've seen it many times throughout health care, hospitals, care homes and doctors surgeries.

There are some real nasty/wicked people working in healthcare. Dupers delight I think they call it.

I'm sad to hear you've had this severe negativity regarding your type 2 diabetes diagnosis Plumeraider...I'm absolutely shocked you had to go though this.

Last edited:
This thread has made me think about the experience I have received over the years.
appreciate this is through the eyes of someone with Type 1 and doesn't come anywhere near that of some of the horrendous stories in this thread.
Like many, it was a shock when I was diagnosed. I knew very little about diabetes apart from what was in the media.
Straight away, I was told it must be Type 1 because "you are too slim to have type 2 despite your age." In hindsight, this was very naïve (I have subsequently read about slim people having type 2 and the ignorance of the part about my age).
There was a strong emphasis during my diagnosis of it not being my fault which feel like something which has been lost in the last 20 years.
I am not sure I would say I was ashamed about having diabetes but I was embarrassed. I did not want to draw attention to myself when I was injecting and be judged as the "druggy". Whilst no one said anything along these lines, there were those who asked me not to "get your needles out in front of me". And even someone asked me not to do it in front of their children. I am not sure what they were expecting from my needles and how seeing someone keep themselves alive could disrupt children.
Over the years, I became braver with regard to injecting and testing in public. While I had always done it, I used to try to hide it by doing it under the table and checking, where possible that no one was looking. I stopped feeling embarrassed about it and felt more, if someone had a problem, it was their problem not mine.
The difference between the types of diabetes still remains an issue. I still get told I can't have diabetes because I am too slim or I must have had it since birth if it is Type 1 (I even had an arrogant guy mansplain to me that I definitely do not have Type 1 and I am treating it wrongly ... he had no medical qualifications) or sorry I have the "bad type" of diabetes (I always correct this as I think it is much harder to have to restrict my diet).
I do not know whether it is my confidence or a change in society but no longer feel that diabetes is something to be embarrassed about. Successfully managing it is my Super Power and one I can apply to other things in life such as my organisational skills, my mental arithmetic, my research skills and desire to continuously learn, my will power, my stubbornness that I will not allow it (or something else - like being a woman) stop me doing what I want.
(Apart from days when it refuses to be managed.)

This thread has made me think about the experience I have received over the years.
appreciate this is through the eyes of someone with Type 1 and doesn't come anywhere near that of some of the horrendous stories in this thread.
Like many, it was a shock when I was diagnosed. I knew very little about diabetes apart from what was in the media.
Straight away, I was told it must be Type 1 because "you are too slim to have type 2 despite your age." In hindsight, this was very naïve (I have subsequently read about slim people having type 2 and the ignorance of the part about my age).
There was a strong emphasis during my diagnosis of it not being my fault which feel like something which has been lost in the last 20 years.
I am not sure I would say I was ashamed about having diabetes but I was embarrassed. I did not want to draw attention to myself when I was injecting and be judged as the "druggy". Whilst no one said anything along these lines, there were those who asked me not to "get your needles out in front of me". And even someone asked me not to do it in front of their children. I am not sure what they were expecting from my needles and how seeing someone keep themselves alive could disrupt children.
Over the years, I became braver with regard to injecting and testing in public. While I had always done it, I used to try to hide it by doing it under the table and checking, where possible that no one was looking. I stopped feeling embarrassed about it and felt more, if someone had a problem, it was their problem not mine.
The difference between the types of diabetes still remains an issue. I still get told I can't have diabetes because I am too slim or I must have had it since birth if it is Type 1 (I even had an arrogant guy mansplain to me that I definitely do not have Type 1 and I am treating it wrongly ... he had no medical qualifications) or sorry I have the "bad type" of diabetes (I always correct this as I think it is much harder to have to restrict my diet).
I do not know whether it is my confidence or a change in society but no longer feel that diabetes is something to be embarrassed about. Successfully managing it is my Super Power and one I can apply to other things in life such as my organisational skills, my mental arithmetic, my research skills and desire to continuously learn, my will power, my stubbornness that I will not allow it (or something else - like being a woman) stop me doing what I want.
(Apart from days when it refuses to be managed.)
I totally agree with your comments and your strength. In a world that allows much more freedoms than when I was young, freedoms of speech, of relationship choices, of faiths etc, I am so disgusted that illnesses of any sort, are still ‘shamed’ , treated with contempt and those affected are forced to hide part of themselves and their lives from the scorn, ignorance and stupidity of others.

As I have said before, I am only recently diagnosed. I haven’t had a lifetime of dealing with others ignorance or contempt. I have no idea how it may or will change my life BUT I have no intention of hiding my illness or accepting others scorn of it. (PS, I am still chasing my surgery about my complaint over the way I was given my diagnosis)

So today I finally met my Diabetes Nurse at my GP Surgery. After an hour’s session, I came away with the word of wisdom

‘You are slightly overweight, try only one spoonful of sugar in you tea’ (I haven’t used sugar for years),
'Try not eating too much chocolate' (As a pensioner, that luxury hasn't been on my shopping list for years either)
‘You are slightly Diabetic’ (WTF!!)
‘You don’t need medication or blood monitoring’ and I don’t need to see you again until January’ (Eh?? Having given me sleepless nights, scaring the life out of me, that's the best you can offer?).

Oh yes, recommended to join Diabetes UK …. Too late, I am already a member!

So today I finally met my Diabetes Nurse at my GP Surgery. After an hour’s session, I came away with the word of wisdom

‘You are slightly overweight, try only one spoonful of sugar in you tea’ (I haven’t used sugar for years),
'Try not eating too much chocolate' (As a pensioner, that luxury hasn't been on my shopping list for years either)
‘You are slightly Diabetic’ (WTF!!)
‘You don’t need medication or blood monitoring’ and I don’t need to see you again until January’ (Eh?? Having given me sleepless nights, scaring the life out of me, that's the best you can offer?).

Oh yes, recommended to join Diabetes UK …. Too late, I am already a member!
Now I do feel sorry for you @plumeraider.Your diabetic nurse isn't taking you case too seriously or doesn't know much about the disease. You should have my old diabetic nurse at my old GP surgery(I've just moved surgeries).She was absolutely terrific and knew her stuff.

Last edited:
Now I do feel sorry for you @plumeraider.Your diabetic nurse isn't taking you case too seriously or isn't know much about the disease. You should have my old diabetic nurse at my old GP surgery(I've just moved surgeries).She was absolutely terrific and knew her stuff.
I agree … alarms went off (in me) when she started by telling me as I was on a ‘Diabetes Journey’. Eh? I do so hate this modern twaddle of everything being a ‘Journey’, It’s not a journey, it’s me trying to stay alive and healthy. Then when she started to tell me I was pre-Diabetic in 2016 I can only imagine she was having a ‘Mystic Meg’ moment because my whole life was totally different back then and certainly nobody was doing blood tests on me. When I asked her to explain how that analysis worked to come to that conclusion, she backed off when I explained I was a former Data Analyst who was working for the NHS back then and curious to know how she came to that conclusion. Don’t try b***shitting someone to sound impressive, it destroys confidence when you are found out.

Last edited:
This is why type 2 is so depressing. If you were fat and could hardly move then as you say you would accept the blame. But the blame is nasty to even us who are fat.
No wonder Mental Health is on the increase,

Back