Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovinglife

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I recently put together a short (13 minute) video of my journey with type 2 diabetes, which I was diagnosed with in December 2017. I am, and have been for 3 years, officially in remission.

It was for an event I was invited to speak at, Australia Low Carb All Stars. I have had a lot of positive feedback and this makes me very happy. Sharing here in the hope it helps.

I know how I felt when I was diagnosed. Wandering around dazed in a big fog, hoping to lift the fog for others who might be feeling the same.

I recently put together a short (13 minute) video of my journey with type 2 diabetes, which I was diagnosed with in December 2017. I am, and have been for 3 years, officially in remission.

It was for an event I was invited to speak at, Australia Low Carb All Stars. I have had a lot of positive feedback and this makes me very happy. Sharing here in the hope it helps.

I know how I felt when I was diagnosed. Wandering around dazed in a big fog, hoping to lift the fog for others who might be feeling the same.

I found this very motivating it’s a wonderful story and it’s giving me a lot of hope to work towards thank you for doing this

Very hopeful message which I wish was more widely known and is indeed one of the options regularly spoken about on this site. It would be good for people to know that not everyone needs to be as low carb as Debra is as that might put some people off. As she says though everyone's body is different.

Yup, spot on. It is what I have done almost by accident. It worked for me.

Getting the message out cllearly is so important.

Very hopeful message which I wish was more widely known and is indeed one of the options regularly spoken about on this site. It would be good for people to know that not everyone needs to be as low carb as Debra is as that might put some people off. As she says though everyone's body is different.

I did the Newcastle diet.
It's not a real hardship, low carb for a few months, reverse the diabetes as said, then onto a normal diet again, no need to worry about what you eat if it's reversed.

@travellor Sounds great but I've not heard of anyone reversing it to the stage that they don't need to worry about what they eat. Are there any articles on this?

I did the Newcastle diet.
It's not a real hardship, low carb for a few months, reverse the diabetes as said, then onto a normal diet again, no need to worry about what you eat if it's reversed.
Brilliant, the ND has been a good option for many. For me low carb is a way of eating for life. A few small but significant changes. I do know that if I go back to my old way of eating I would be back to square 1. I'm under no illusions. We are all so different.

Brilliant, the ND has been a good option for many. For me low carb is a way of eating for life. A few small but significant changes. I do know that if I go back to my old way of eating I would be back to square 1. I'm under no illusions. We are all so different.
Ah, sorry to hear that.
So more "diet controlled" than reversed?
My lifestyle was more unpredictable, travel, street food, sometimes no idea at all what I'm eating, and it's often impossible to find any low carb options, so I did my best to keep that lifestyle going.

Ah, sorry to hear that.
My lifestyle was more unpredictable, travel, street food, sometimes no idea at all what I'm eating, and it's often impossible to find any low carb options, so I did my best to keep that lifestyle going.
I would say, @travellor, that there aren’t many people on here who don’t watch their diet more closely than before they were diagnosed, and that includes me as a Type 1. The thought of working out insulin for the carbs in half a packet of biscuits immediately tells me that it wouldn't be a sensible thing to do, and I pity my poor pancreas when it was functioning, having to cope with some of the things I ate!
You seem to be one of the few people (dare I say, the only person who regularly posts on here) who seems to have been able to 'reverse' in the true sense of being able to go back to whatever their eating regime was before diagnosis. Most people wouldn’t want to, because they now realise their previous diet was unhealthy. Maybe yours was healthier than you thought.

Unfortunately can’t watch the video as it says the allowed number of viewings has been exceeded?

I would say, @travellor, that there aren’t many people on here who don’t watch their diet more closely than before they were diagnosed, and that includes me as a Type 1. The thought of working out insulin for the carbs in half a packet of biscuits immediately tells me that it wouldn't be a sensible thing to do, and I pity my poor pancreas when it was functioning, having to cope with some of the things I ate!
You seem to be one of the few people (dare I say, the only person who regularly posts on here) who seems to have been able to 'reverse' in the true sense of being able to go back to whatever their eating regime was before diagnosis. Most people wouldn’t want to, because they now realise their previous diet was unhealthy. Maybe yours was healthier than you thought.

No, it really wasn't.
Possibly a family pack of donuts, and a tub of ice cream was never a wise snack.
Tonight it was a single cornetto.
Normally I eat a healthy Mediterranean diet, and watch the weight.
Very light on the fats.
It doesn't mean I won't eat chips, rice, and the usual stuff street vendors sell when I'm away, simply I don't eat the same amount as before.

Ah, sorry to hear that.
I have reverses all my symptoms which I'm so happy about. My hba1c has been normal for 3 years and classed as remission a while ago but I was once t2d and could be again no doubt if I went back to my old way of eating. Ultra processed foods, they are killers. Starchy carbs galore. Low fat products. And that way of eating makes you eat more with the highs and lows of blood sugars so weight would go back up.

I'm a dab hand at finding low carb options these days, 3 years of practice! Hardest place is airport but not much pressure with that one at the moment ;-)

Street food - lots of rice and bread I expect. :-( challenging. I usually go for burgers or kebabs and toss the bun/bread

I have reverses all my symptoms which I'm so happy about. My hba1c has been normal for 3 years and classed as remission a while ago but I was once t2d and could be again no doubt if I went back to my old way of eating. Ultra processed foods, they are killers. Starchy carbs galore. Low fat products. And that way of eating makes you eat more with the highs and lows of blood sugars so weight would go back up.

I'm a dab hand at finding low carb options these days, 3 years of practice! Hardest place is airport but not much pressure with that one at the moment ;-)

Street food - lots of rice and bread I expect. :-( challenging. I usually go for burgers or kebabs and toss the bun/bread
Rice, bread, pasta, noodles are the main staples
To be honest, most burgers and kebabs are more processed, usually it's chucks of some unknown animal served with them.

Low fat doesn't give you highs and lows, a normal insulin response won't give you highs and lows.
Weight only goes on if I overeat, the scales soon tell me that, a charge in blood sugar never made me, that was just a bad habit I stopped doing.

Many of us on here class "remission" as being able to eat carbs without a diabetic blood sugar response. Personally I class that as reversal, but it seems we all have different definitions.
Have you taken a glucose tolerance test, that's usually a fairly standard baseline?

Hi. Great presentation and congratulations on the fantastic result with your diabetes and thanks for sharing your story which I am sure will help to inspire others. I am Type 1 but feel that a low carb diet is beneficial for me in managing my BG levels and my disordered eating.
Hardest place is airport but not much pressure with that one at the moment ;-)
I think you will probably find that sadly hospitals can give airports a run for their money in this department!!

Hi. Great presentation and congratulations on the fantastic result with your diabetes and thanks for sharing your story which I am sure will help to inspire others. I am Type 1 but feel that a low carb diet is beneficial for me in managing my BG levels and my disordered eating.

I think you will probably find that sadly hospitals can give airports a run for their money in this department!!
Crisps and biscuits from the vending machine, and some toast from the nurses last time I was visiting out of hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back