• We are improving our news section on our website. Please share your thoughts here: News Survey

homelessness type 1

benj84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi all.. any advice out there about how homelessness shelters should behave to type 1 diabetics.. the short of the story I was having a bad hypo.. that day I had 5 so used all my quick acting, the rules are stay in your room 11PM TO 0730am.. I had bread and stuff in my cupboards but were in the kitchen so I asked the night staff if I could do some toast after explaining I was having a hypo and needed more food.. to my surprise he told me to go back to bed.. until I told him id probably die if I did.. the next day I had a right dressing down from the accommodation manager who verbally attacked my management of my diabetes and would not bend on the rules.. would the forum say they've broken the equality act in some way... especially making a judgment on my personal management of my illness.. regards ben

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Short answer is - I don't know because I have absolutely no idea whatever what the staff at such places HAVE to know as part of that job. On the assumption they are not individually trained in the requirements of all medical conditions (since the residents could have any of them) as well as drink and 'recreational' drugs - I shouldn't imagine they'd receive or be expected to have that kind of expertise.

The manager could adequately recognise your emergency though once you'd explained it was 'life or death' - so it was lucky you were still mentally able to say that to him - so thank heaven you were.

What actually happens when you get admitted to such an establishment - are the people accessing the service responsible to disclose pre-existing medical conditions if there's one where there could be a sudden emergency - insulin controlled diabetes is one obviously and epilepsy is another which springs to mind.

Why on earth did you have that many hypos in one day - is that sorted out now?

benj84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find it difficult to control my blood sugars if I don't eat regularly.. being homeless is a nightmare honestly especially eating the right things.. you may say oh well that's easy.. try it first...I had told them in an assessment but nothing was done to help or prevent.. service providers and diabetes advocacy pack is an excellent source of information and will help me nail them at court