Home & Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in my DSN appointment about 45 minutes and stuck the needle in once (no insulin) then went home to do my first injection that night

yep same here. Well, i'm not sure how long the appointment was, It didn't feel like 45mins! It was probably a bit less because I never ask any questions 😉

yep same here. Well, i'm not sure how long the appointment was, It didn't feel like 45mins! It was probably a bit less because I never ask any questions 😉

I think part of that time was the nurse going to get the doctor because I refused to go on a mixed insulin and then getting the Dr to agree to basal bolus.

I think as you were in hospital you should have given insulin more than once. At my local hospital they try and get newly diagnosed diabetics to give their own insulin as early as possible.

I think part of that time was the nurse going to get the doctor because I refused to go on a mixed insulin and then getting the Dr to agree to basal bolus.

I think as you were in hospital you should have given insulin more than once. At my local hospital they try and get newly diagnosed diabetics to give their own insulin as early as possible.

Good on you for refusing the mixed insulin! :D It's lucky you knew about Diabetes already.

Oooh yes, I do remember the nurse (the one who told me i'd probably be diet controlled) came to give me my injection and she asked if I wanted to but I was like 😱 noo way. The needle was really long though! I'm glad I didn't do it until the nurse handed my the 6mm one hehe.

I think they were a bit taken aback, but really they shouldn't have been giving mixed insulin to a 21 year old at uni.
The insulin syringes in hopsital are horrible usually 12mm!

I think they were a bit taken aback, but really they shouldn't have been giving mixed insulin to a 21 year old at uni.
The insulin syringes in hopsital are horrible usually 12mm!

Haha I can imagine they were, but yeah that would be ridiculous 😱

12mm, hmm I would have guessed 20, but i'm sure my mind has exaggerated things :D

Blimey Nikki you were lucky I guess to know what to ask for, when I saw nursey first time I was like a nodding donkey I would have injected anything!!

But seriously I know basal bolus is supposed to be the most flexible management but in what cases would you go to syringes and a mix of insulin twice a day? Are there any or is it just for those whose bodies are used to said type of insulin?

Just watching H&A and Ruby said it's ok as long as she takes her 'shot' 30mins before she eats. She must get a breakfast spike :D

...she was even waking up at night in sweats.

Is this a symptom of diabetes? *looks a complete newbie*

I've had unexplained severe night sweats for the last year, thought it was early menopause 😛

Is this a symptom of diabetes? *looks a complete newbie*

I've had unexplained severe night sweats for the last year, thought it was early menopause 😛

Yes, you can get them if you are high or hypo in the night.

Thinking back I did have a lot of night sweats before I was diagnosed..

When I was put on insulin I also had about 45 mins with the DSN and I couldn't inject myself for about 10 mins I just sat there with the pen before I finally gave my first shot of insulin...

I wondered about the Ruby episode because going back 26 years when I was doing my nurse training, newly diagnosed diabetics (adults) were put into a hypo so that they would know what it was like to experience one, and were in hospital for a few days... but then things change over the years and I can't speak for children/teens being diagnosed as when I did my paeds experience never had any diabetics.

Yes, you can get them if you are high or hypo in the night.

Aah I see, well I dont think I'll be either as my fasting level was only 7.8 (although I was partial to chocolate in bed with a book prior to diagnosis, one of the reasons I'm so bloomin' fat!).

Hypo or hyper?

Ok - I've caught up with Home and Away on Five and saw Ruby being taken to hospital. The doc said her blood sugars were "through the roof" but she appeared to be in a diabetic coma... which was it - a hypo or hyper?

Karina :confused::confused:

Ok - I've caught up with Home and Away on Five and saw Ruby being taken to hospital. The doc said her blood sugars were "through the roof" but she appeared to be in a diabetic coma... which was it - a hypo or hyper?

Karina :confused::confused:

Hyper - I was practically there when I went to hospital

So ... for type 1's a hypo is the "prize" you get after diagnosis? Is it usually a hyper that shows up first?

Karina

What happens is, for whatever your pancreas stop producing insulin (or a lot less) so your blood glucose levels start getting high. You start to get symptoms like extreme thrist, urinating alot (especially at night), extreme fatigue etc etc... I can't seem to think of all the symptoms right now! But basically it isn't your average hyper because you are high for so long and keep getting higher and symptoms just get worse and worse till you get to the point you have no choice but to go to the doctor!

Last edited:
What happens is, for whatever your pancreas stop producing insulin (or a lot less) so your blood glucose levels start getting high. You start to get symptoms like extreme thrist, urinating alot (especially at night), extreme fatigue etc etc... I can't seem to think of all the symptoms right now! But basically it isn't your average hyper because you are high for so long and keep getting higher and symptoms just get worse and worse till you get to the point you have no choice but go to the doctor!

I see.. that makes sense. Thanks for that Katie 🙂

Diabetic coma = hyperglycaemia. However, someone with diabetes can, in theory, go into a coma, either hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia. In practice, I suspect that people with diabetes who have never been anywhere near unconsciousness / coma, like me, are probably in the majority, particularly if you ignore the period immediately before diagnosis of type 1. Hypoglycaemia is basically an overdose of insulin (or some oral medications, but not metformin - although it is possible to become hypoglycaemic on metformin - see next phrase), but it is possible for people to become hypoglycaemic after long periods of physical exertion without adequate carbohydrate intake eg athletes in extreme training / races, starvation without exertion etc.

Yes undiagnosed diabetes has high blood sugars not low. I have known people to say they think they have diabetes because they get shakey etc, and when they eat they feel better. I think it's because they know people with diabetes get low blood sugars and eat to resolve it, but don't realise it's the medication for diabetes, rather than diabetes itself that causes the lows.

Well so far they are keeping up the Diabetes thing. Today she had a big hypo. Someone took her jelly babies and ate them all, then she missed lunch. They took her to hospital afterwards "just in case" haha. Oh well, at least they are keeping it up so far. The bit I thought was acurate though, was her saying she doesn't want to feel different so she didn't tell anyone at school about her Diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back