Home & Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
*contains spoilers* 😉

I was watching Home & Away yesterday and one of the characters, Ruby, kept drinking alot and going to the toilet. I immediately thought DIABETES! So looked it up on youtube and yep she ends up in a diabetic coma. So far the symptoms seemed pretty accurate, she was even waking up at night in sweats. She didn't seem bothered about the fact she would have to inject though, she was more interested in getting with Geoff haha. It will be interesting to see whether they actually carry on with it or just stop mentioning it.

Does anyone else watch it?

Last edited:
It has been around 20 esr since I stopped watching Home & Away. jason DOnovan and Kylie Minogue were still in it then...

It has been around 20 esr since I stopped watching Home & Away. jason DOnovan and Kylie Minogue were still in it then...

You're thinking about Neighbours, which I do still watch, but not H+A. Neighbours had a diabetic character years ago who also fell into a coma ISTR. This page is shows how Neighbours have dealt with various illnesses over the years:

http://www.perfectblend.net/features/doctor.htm

I stopped watching Home and away about 2 years ago used to watch it every night at 6 o clock then just grew out of it , same with neighbours since it moved to channel 5 i aint watched any of it

i watch it only soap i do...best on box re true soap totaly oTT....katie i guessed the same re diabetes !!

This isn't about pointing out how sad I am 😉

If you're sad, I must be tragic!! I follow both Neighbours and Home and Away and just watched that episode today - as soon as she ran off to the loo I said to hubby "guess she must be diabetic, type 1 would be my guess"!!

Didn't pick up on the night sweats though cos Annie seemed to be having them at the same time, put that one down to raging teenage hormones! 😱

:D:D

Karina

Home and Away!! Quality story lines and acting lessons, and accurate details!! Well at least the last point is true! Would be good if they do keep it up! Thanks for the heads up!! PS what channel is it on these days?

Home and Away!! Quality story lines and acting lessons, and accurate details!! Well at least the last point is true! Would be good if they do keep it up! Thanks for the heads up!! PS what channel is it on these days?

Channel 5 where all the quality programmes go...... 😛

Channel 5 where all the quality programmes go...... 😛

Your right, seriously Channel5 are getting good now I think I watched something on there the other week, and some good films and there's that fiver and five usa, apart from telly being evil, it's good!

I go back farther than that Ena Sharples and Dirty Den were in it when I last watched! 🙂

she was a trobuled schoolgirl called emma jackson and it was some time back 1989-90

Nope - not ringing any bells! Obviously didn't make a big impression on me!

Thanks anyway

Karina

LOL dnt worry i knew she was in it but cud not remember who she played i googled it

I used to LOVE home and away and watched it every day when i was at uni... havn't seen it properly in over a yr now though....

sounds good that they've got the facts right so far...lets hope they keep it up!!!!

I've noticed a lot of programmes, when they have a T1 diabetic character, they will at some point be trapped in a burning building/on the edge of a cliff etc and in desperate NEED of their insulin.... making out that the character will collapse/faint/die if they don't get insulin.... which of course, might happen after a few days, but it's much more likely that the character will go low - needing FOOD more than insulin!!

slightly worrying cos it gives confusing messages to the viewer in relation to what to do if a diabetic collapses (on several occassions my friends have mentioned giving me insulin if i collapse - NO NO NO!!!)

I think scrubs deal with Turk's T1 diabetes very well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back