Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero ability in the arts and crafts department. But reading is my favourite activity. Reading ANYTHING As a child I read labels on tins... why? Who knows
I also grew up in a home where we read anything. And that included bottle labels that made it to the table at times!
We were surrounded by books and one of the first places we were allowed to go to by ourselves was the local library. I’m still an avid reader.

I also grew up in a home where we read anything. And that included bottle labels that made it to the table at times!
We were surrounded by books and one of the first places we were allowed to go to by ourselves was the local library. I’m still an avid reader.
To add to the fun. I also tore the labels off the tins so no one knew what they were opening. My mum wasn't too happy about that

I've also been a lifelong reader. My dad took me to the local library when I was 5 and used one of his tickets to get me a book. It was "Sam Pig goes to Market" by Alison Uttley. Now I have over 900 books on my Kindle, and ofter re-read my favourites.

But reading is my favourite activity. Reading ANYTHING As a child I read labels on tins... why? Who knows
As a child I was always being told off for reading cereal packets instead of getting on with my breakfast. There can't have been many 7 year olds who knew what Riboflavin was, though!

As things turned out it was great practice for all the nutrition label reading I do now!

I love reading, though don't like autobiographies. I also taught myself crochet during lockdown and have made various blankets, scarves and bags. I like diamond art and have had a go at felting which i enjoyed. I love going to the Craft Fayre to see what else i can try. I used to do a lot of cross stitch but have lost interest in that lately.

I love reading, though don't like autobiographies. I also taught myself crochet during lockdown and have made various blankets, scarves and bags. I like diamond art and have had a go at felting which i enjoyed. I love going to the Craft Fayre to see what else i can try. I used to do a lot of cross stitch but have lost interest in that lately.
I used to do cross stitch too but then got hooked on diamond painting instead. Also went through a phase of doing paper cutting, but haven't done that for a while. Felting looks quite hard but looks lovely when done x

I enjoy reading too, but just on my kindle x

Just wondered what hobbies people have and what they do to relax ? I am slightly addicted to diamond painting and have done quite a lot of them. Am managing to do more as i have been signed off for a couple of weeks. I also have 2 lovely house rabbits which relax me and 5 fish tanks x
A hobby that helps me relax is cycling. I cycle to work and love cycling around the city. Its never a dull moment, but I need to try and put my bike on a train and explore the countryside. I'm a bit nervous since I am VERY prone to punctures.:rofl:

I have zero ability in the arts and crafts department. But reading is my favourite activity. Reading ANYTHING As a child I read labels on tins... why? Who knows
Before smartphones I used to read the shampoo labels when I was in the toilet... :D

I was a big reader as a child too, it was a defining characteristic of mine. Not so much these days, sad in a way but also I started to enjoy more social activities.

A hobby that helps me relax is cycling. I cycle to work and love cycling around the city. Its never a dull moment, but I need to try and put my bike on a train and explore the countryside. I'm a bit nervous since I am VERY prone to punctures.:rofl:
Haven't been on a bike for years, i was prone to falling off lol, walking was my thing but recently struggling to have the energy to do my job let alone do anything in my spare time. Hopefully when i get my diabetes under control, get my energy back and get back up to a healthy weight i will be able to get back into it x

Narrowboating, although not always relaxing, festivals, yoga, crochet and more crochet, singing in a choir, reading, code words, spending time with friends.

Love making jewellery and used to run as a business but my hands barely function now grip wise so very rarely do any now, novice knitter and have a naughty elderly house rabbit who keeps me moving and on my toes!

Narrowboating, although not always relaxing, festivals, yoga, crochet and more crochet, singing in a choir, reading, code words, spending time with friends.
We sold our narrowboat last year - couldn't justify the expense of ownership any more and we're not getting any younger. Oh, how I miss it! Luckily we live near the Grand Union and still enjoy towpath walks

Just wondered what hobbies people have and what they do to relax ?
I go out dancing 1-2 times a week, specifically Argentine tango (and milonga, vals). It's exercise too, and social. I enjoy walking, too, but tango's exercise which you do while hugging other people. (There's also The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom which takes some time up.)

As a child I was always being told off for reading cereal packets instead of getting on with my breakfast. There can't have been many 7 year olds who knew what Riboflavin was, though!

As things turned out it was great practice for all the nutrition label reading I do now!
Too funny. I remember reading the safety manuals in our Volvo 240 while waiting in car parks...

I'm also an avid reader, though I read less than I used to (I have stacks of books to be read, and about 4, of different types, on the go at any one time); I used to play computer games (simulators, and things that tell a story, though generally FPS/3rd person more linear games rather than RPGs, as they require so much time investment) though I don't find much time to do this these days (I must get on and finish Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, but having played part way and now forgotten where I was, the remembering-the-maps-and-what-I'd-done curve will be steep which is putting me off without a decent run at it); I enjoy cycling for the going fast (though I am slow) and exploration aspect (tile ticking has to date been my motivator to go places I other wouldn't) plus added blood-sugar-control aspects; I'm also a programmer/hardware tinkerer (which I am at work too) and I get pleasure from the design of the programs as well as the actual end product, which means I tend to spend far too long over-designing (architecting would be the terrible American term) things that might be useful on or for the bike or diabetes control/analysis (and some time-limited dabbling with games and procedural generation) - having an extrinsic motivator is useful, though these projects are currently suffering as the weather is warmish so cycling has been winning out!

What tyres do you use? - I changed to some Continental Contact Urban 700x35c earlier in the year and I'm not sure I should tempt fate, however, I will say they are infinitely more puncture resistant than any of the gravel tyres (generally the most puncture resistant variants of WTB's or Schwalbe's EVO range) I've used previously. I've still not got round to going tubeless, though have tried on a couple of occasions.

I've never put my bike on a train either, and feel I probably should do so, however from things I read it's a painful process these days (I realise that what one reads online is quite probably not truly representative of the reality mind you.) I would quite like to visit Europe au velo as I spent time there studying and working and on holiday. Probably the less one thinks about it the better, and just get on with it, as it's easy to only see the problems.

Can't believe that i forgot to put my love of baking as one of my hobbies. I tend to be a late night baker, just put a batch of cranberry and choc chip scones in the oven. I used to bake quite a lot but not really eat it myself, so my partner and work colleagues got the pleasure of my bakes, from bronuts , biscoff cheesecakes, biscoff rocky road, double decker brownies, toffee crisp cheesecake, crunchie brownies and more. This makes me very popular at work lol x

Writing stories is my main hobby, has a few published, but the ‘day job’ (Software Engineer) is a bit of a hobby as well, so I tend to go some of that at home, especially if trying to use new techniques to aid reuse (Which seems to have worked, as the current architecture has been mainly re used in four projects!) Also tinker with guitars and a small Moog synth… Plus reading and listening to a lot of music (usually while writing) on vinyl.

I also forgot to mention that I am a church bell ringer and have been for the best part of 55 years. I am just off on a weeks tour to Lincolnshire with a group I belong to. A fun and social activity where you meet people from all walks of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back