High Cholesterol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha! Small sample size, not actually comparing saturated and unsaturated fats - a poorly designed study not fit for purpose. An excellent illustration of the importance of critical thinking and 'peer review'.

It does seem to be the trend in alternative science.
When you actually look at it, it doesn't actually have any meaning, but it's been repeatedly quoted for fifty years, so it must be true.

Anything silly would be ignoring medical advice in something very serious as cvd risk,
Yet by ignoring the advice given out by my medics concerning my T2 diabetes I put it in remission. The "chronic progressive disease" that they warned would require insulin seems to have been tamed.
Thankfully the poorly photocopied "Eatwell Guide" went in the bin along with the toilet tying metformin.
A host of other health conditions went away too.
I'm very pleased I ignored their advice for that so why should I believe them when they mention statins (the most profitable drug even invented) and when surgeries get financially rewarded for having more people take them whether necessary or not.

Yet by ignoring the advice given out by my medics concerning my T2 diabetes I put it in remission. The "chronic progressive disease" that they warned would require insulin seems to have been tamed.
Thankfully the poorly photocopied "Eatwell Guide" went in the bin along with the toilet tying metformin.
I'm very pleased I ignored their advice for that so why should I believe them when they mention statins (the most profitable drug even invented) and when surgeries get financially rewarded for having more people take them whether necessary or not.

You've only done what countless other type 2s have done on this forum & got condition under control, same goes for lot of us type 1s.

Ignoring expert advice on cvd is different matter, statins no matter what you think of them do what they say they do & that is lower cholesterol levels to safe limits, they are safe well researched & tolerated by vast majority of patients who take them, that is fact simple as.

Over 5 years, how many of the participants died?
If you are comparing deaths, we may actually be comparing a small number of deaths and the differences may not be statistically significant.
As I pointed out - I do not have the full facts - and I do not have access to the British medical journal either.
It seems that there is enough pressure for there to be a re-evaluation of older research to have begun, so I look forward to further reports. I'll keep you posted if they are passed on to me.

You're quoting a study done over 50 years ago?

It irrelevant to any modern dietary advice.

No, it is a recent re-evaluation of the work done to 'prove' that saturated fats are less healthy than vegetable oils - something the British medical journal seems to be reporting on.
From what I can gather the original conclusion was somewhat misleading.

A lot on here treat there diabetes by diet control.
It's just one of many options open to us all.

No, it is a recent re-evaluation of the work done to 'prove' that saturated fats are less healthy than vegetable oils - something the British medical journal seems to be reporting on.
From what I can gather the original conclusion was somewhat misleading.

Yes, misleading.
Unlike your statement, which is basically just wrong.
As you say, you don't have facts.
Read my link.

Anything silly would be ignoring medical advice in something very serious as cvd risk, believe what you want but would be very surprised if no insurance company wouldn't use it as a get out clause, or very least reduce payout on death.

Personally, I think lung cancer, COPD, cirrhosis of the liver and obesity are also potential killers. Long term lung cancer survival rates aren't good, even if it is detected early.

Contract law is contract law. The contract is made on paying the first premium, accepting the terms offered offered, based on declarations made and reports sought prior to writing the terms of the contract.

I worked in the financial services world for many years, including actuarial and underwriting. I have insight into how these things are done.

The harsh reality of life is that few life assurance contracts actually pay out death benefits, because some are fixed term and just expire at the end of the term, or customers stop paying their premiums (for whatever reason). Insurers are on a very decent bet with life cover, although of course they will take a proportion of big hits when people do die, whilst covered.

Of course, there are whole of life policies, but in the very vast majority of instances premiums need to be paid for the same whole of life. Some very old policies only collected premiums up to something like age 80, with cover remaining in place beyond that.

Ben Goldacre has much to say about statins in various publications, a new one not yet published in the UK, Statins: The Battle for Perfect Evidence-based Medicine. Hardcover – 1 Feb. 2024 by Ben Goldacre (Author)
He does have much critique on modern medicine in his book Bad Science.

Ben Goldacre has much to say about statins in various publications, a new one not yet published in the UK, Statins: The Battle for Perfect Evidence-based Medicine. Hardcover – 1 Feb. 2024 by Ben Goldacre (Author)
He does have much critique on modern medicine in his book Bad Science.

Well he said

"statins are cheap and more likely to do good than harm"

If that helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he said

"statins are cheap and more likely to do good than harm"

If that helps?
Depend if you are one of the people they harm I guess...

statins no matter what you think of them do what they say they do & that is lower cholesterol levels to safe limits,

Depends what you think are "safe" limits.. cholesterol is essential for life and health the body can self regulate it pretty well. If you want to mess with the incredibly complex processes that cholesterol impacts then feel free. Personally I'd rather let my body do the necessary.
they are safe well researched & tolerated by vast majority of patients who take them
True about 75-80% might not get noticeable side effects.. doesn't mean they get none though.

Check out the increasing incidence of Alzheimers and the increasing prescription of statins associations...

Makes you wonder..

Some further reading for those who are interested

The pathways thats statins can mess with

How and why pre 2004 studies might need reviewing

Just for a taster.

Some further reading for those who are interested

The pathways thats statins can mess with

How and why pre 2004 studies might need reviewing

Just for a taster.

Do you spend all day looking for fringe YouTubers to validate your massively high cholesterol?

But I'll take the second link recommending the Mediterranean diet over the high saturated fat diet.
At least you agree on that at last.

"The Lyon Diet Heart Study utilized the Mediterranean diet and reported a 70% mortality reduction"

Cheers Eddie, have a bacon sandwich on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what you think are "safe" limits.. cholesterol is essential for life and health the body can self regulate it pretty well. If you want to mess with the incredibly complex processes that cholesterol impacts then feel free. Personally I'd rather let my body do the necessary.

It's a closed loop system that regulates it at a certain level - which is why dietary cholesterol does not raise levels as the system compensates by reducing internal production.

Excessive intake of saturated fats has been shown to 'break' this system, though, leading to higher than normal levels.

Do you spend all day looking for fringe YouTubers to validate your massively high cholesterol?
No and I don't consider my levels to be "massively high" so....

" Everyone manages their health differently. Please be mindful of this."

Excessive intake of saturated fats has been shown to 'break' this system, though, leading to higher than normal levels.
Do you have anything I can read that indeed "shows" that to be the case..
There was a recent conference in Switzerland with many "big hitters" in the cardiac world who came to the completely opposite conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back