High Cholesterol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturated fats increase the livers production of cholesterol, hence the advice to avoid it
Only if the body requires the cholesterol.. it's a demand driven process...

Saturated fats increase the livers production of cholesterol, hence the advice to avoid it
Well if that is the case, there must be something wrong with my liver because as I said my cholesterol has consistently gone down despite eating A LOT of saturated fats.
I think everyone is different and people have to find what works for them but I think people are pushed in one direction by NHS advice and told the other direction is bad, when my experience and that of others is that it isn't bad for some of us and people should be encouraged to find what works for them as an individual.

I took Atorvastatin for about 5 weeks - just one tablet a day.
The effect was devastating.
On my dresser is a photograph of my mother and one of her sisters. I can remember now who they are and when and where it was taken, but on the back is 'mum is the one on the right'.
I had to relearn all my songs as I resurfaced, but Christmas 2016 I went out shopping, lost the car in the car park, and when I found it and opened the back it was full of the shopping I had done two days earlier and forgotten about.
Combined with Metformin, the medication turned me into a candidate for a care home in a month.
If you want to risk taking something which could do that to body and mind just to reduce something which quite a few people have been pointing out doesn't appear to be all that sinister, I hope that you are one of the lucky ones and are not affected badly.

For those who would like to read a bit more about cholesterol and statins.. in case anyone here is the slightest bit curious

Two main points...

First, I would like to remind everybody that safety is a relative thing. Something is safe relative to something else. Nothing is safe or unsafe in its own right.

Second, one course of action might be "safer" than another course of action but that does not make the second course of action dangerous.

All drugs have side effects and the question is whether on balance they provide an overall benefit. It is absurd to condemn any drug on the basis it makes some takers uncomfortable if it is helpful to many others.

Well said @Docb

We have a few members who have had (or perceived that they had) a significant reaction to statins. Some of whom have been told not to take them by their Dr, and others who have decided against them themselves.

We also have members who are resistant to taking statins (most likely because of the ’pinch of doubt’ that is regularly sowed on forums like this).

But the vast majority of forum members are able to take statins with no problem at all. Statistically significant changes to their lipid panel, and few or no side effects.

And many, many clinical studies have shown that they are effective at reducing CV risk.

It is a personal choice that everyone must make as an individual, but it is important to remember that the vast majority of evidence in the literature demonstrates statins are mostly well tolerated, and there’s no better intervention for reducing CV risk.

I started taking them after my qRisk went over 10%, and I’ve had no side effects at all.

After my initial happiness of reducing my mol from 53 to 45 (originally diagnosed in August) I have now had cholesterol results back and way too high so now have to also focus on reducing that. I think I have been drinking too much coffee and eating too much red meat but of course can’t really be sure what’s causing it. Assume surgery will call to book appointment this week. In the mean time would appreciate some advice on how to proceed.
Thank you

Portugal, do you know what your cholesterol results actually were, or were you just told it is too high?

Personally, I like to have the numbers, so that I can begin to understand what's going on in my body, and how it might or might not be working.

If you are relatively newly diagnosed, and like many have trimmed up a bit since diagnosis, it can be important to take that into account when reviewing your cholesterol situation. Many people find their cholesterol goes up when they are losing weight, then it settles, so it could be argued cholesterol should be re-reviewed once weight stabilises.

I'd not be so concerned about statins if I'd had some sort of warning about possible side effects or what to look out for. I was told nothing at all and was totally unprepared for the speed and severity of the impact.
Had I been alerted I'd have stopped them in half the time, and perhaps not got into the pitiful state I reached.

For those who would like to read a bit more about cholesterol and statins.. in case anyone here is the slightest bit curious

Eddie, good link, so that's were Nick Riviera went after he was killed off in the Simpsons. Glad to see he's still grifting.

interested in this as a coffee lover and also have high cholesterol, I had no idea there was a link. I googled and found this

Most of the studies on coffee and health show that moderate amounts (4 cups or less daily) can be good for your general health, but more than 4 cups have been connected to a greater risk of death from heart disease. Though brewed coffee does not contain actual cholesterol, it does have two natural oils that contain chemical compounds -- cafestol and kahweol -- which can raise cholesterol levels. And studies have shown that older coffee drinkers have higher levels of cholesterol. But there wasn’t much research on younger folks until recently.

Filtered Coffee Is a Better Choice​

A study published in 2018 tracked how much coffee people 18 to 24 drank in the course of a week and compared it to their cholesterol levels. The researchers found that the more espresso-based drinks the participants drank, the higher their cholesterol.
Espresso is brewed by having hot water shot directly into fine coffee grounds, rather than dripping slowly through a filter the way most household coffee makers do it. The result is coffee that has higher levels of the two cholesterol-raising compounds. Other similar methods where grinds and water come in direct contact include boiled coffee, coffee made from French-presses, Turkish coffee, and the increasingly popular pour-over method.On the other hand, filters like the kind used in your local diner or your house in the morning reduce the amount of those oils in the coffee. The researchers concluded that their results are important, given how much coffee Americans enjoy, and that more research needs to be done. Commenting on the research, experts recommended that those folks who want to lower or prevent high cholesterol stick to filtered coffee.

Last edited:
interested in this as a coffee lover and also have high cholesterol, I had no idea there was a link. I googled and found this

Most of the studies on coffee and health show that moderate amounts (4 cups or less daily) can be good for your general health, but more than 4 cups have been connected to a greater risk of death from heart disease. Though brewed coffee does not contain actual cholesterol, it does have two natural oils that contain chemical compounds -- cafestol and kahweol -- which can raise cholesterol levels. And studies have shown that older coffee drinkers have higher levels of cholesterol. But there wasn’t much research on younger folks until recently.

Filtered Coffee Is a Better Choice​

A study published in 2018 tracked how much coffee people 18 to 24 drank in the course of a week and compared it to their cholesterol levels. The researchers found that the more espresso-based drinks the participants drank, the higher their cholesterol.
Espresso is brewed by having hot water shot directly into fine coffee grounds, rather than dripping slowly through a filter the way most household coffee makers do it. The result is coffee that has higher levels of the two cholesterol-raising compounds. Other similar methods where grinds and water come in direct contact include boiled coffee, coffee made from French-presses, Turkish coffee, and the increasingly popular pour-over method.

I have a filter, a Nespresso, a Tassimo, and drink far too much.

I have a filter, a netpresso, a Tassimo, and drink far too much.
I drink a lot of coffee, my dad had bowel cancer and there was some thought that coffee can reduce the risks of this type of cancer so was drinking it thinking I was doing myself good. I guess its down to moderation again

My son bought me a Dolce Gusto, and I used to have all the different variations, but now only have black coffee or with just a dash of milk thinking it was OK as 16 cals a cup but low cal doesnt always equate low cholesterol it seems. Another of lifes pleasures I have to watch out for.

This weekend I had pasta for the first time since July, it was the lowest calorie meal that I liked on the menu, it listed the calories as 579 compared to 800+ I did enjoy every mouthful, and had a glass of red wine to try and give my liver something else to focus on. Still losing weight and feel good though, now fit size 10 dresses, for the first time since I was 17.

Eddie, good link, so that's were Nick Riviera went after he was killed off in the Simpsons. Glad to see he's still grifting.
Shockingly, it seems that "Remnant MD" might be an anti-vaxxer!

If you can't trust anonymous muffins spouting nonsense on the Internet who can you trust???

Shockingly, it seems that "Remnant MD" might be an anti-vaxxer!

If you can't trust anonymous muffins spouting nonsense on the Internet who can you trust???
I find it strange that the reviewers here get to remain anonymous..

We can't see what their biases might be and I'm pretty sure they are far from "unbiased" looking at who started the red pen review site in the first place.

It seems there are two rules depending on which side of the fence they lean over?
Anonymous is very good if they agree, very bad if they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a filter, a Nespresso, a Tassimo, and drink far too much.
Bean to cup for me, and I drink way too much of it.
My nespresso machine is gathering dust since I got the Sage!

And we have filter on the go at work permanently.

And within walking distance on the Uni campus a Starbucks, Costa, Pret and Cafe Nero plus another cafe whose name I forgot.

Going out for a lunchtime walk usually ends with a coffee...

Bean to cup for me, and I drink way too much of it.
My nespresso machine is gathering dust since I got the Sage!

And we have filter on the go at work permanently.

And within walking distance on the Uni campus a Starbucks, Costa, Pret and Cafe Nero plus another cafe whose name I forgot.

Going out for a lunchtime walk usually ends with a coffee...

Odd as never used to be big coffee drinker, like you nowadays like bean to cup & our fav is Costa, use app & reusable cups so get double bean points with each drink, once you get to 8 you get free drink.

Last edited:
After my initial happiness of reducing my mol from 53 to 45 (originally diagnosed in August) I have now had cholesterol results back and way too high so now have to also focus on reducing that. I think I have been drinking too much coffee and eating too much red meat but of course can’t really be sure what’s causing it. Assume surgery will call to book appointment this week. In the mean time would appreciate some advice on how to proceed.
Thank you
Statins basically work by lowering your level of LDL cholesterol. HDL is the good type of cholesterol; LDL is the main kind of 'non-HDL' cholesterol, and non-HDL cholesterol is the bad type-- high levels of non-HDL cholesterol are closely associated with cardiovascular disease, like heart attacks and strokes. (See for example https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19)32519-X/fulltext .)

So, when you talk to your doctor, you need to find out what your non-HDL level is, and whether, apart from your cholesterol levels, you are at high risk of heart attack or stroke. If your non-HDL level is high and you have lots of other risk factors for cardiovascular disease, statins may be a good idea.

But-- there is a particular problem with statins for people with Type 2 diabetes. It has been known for a while now that statins increase the risk of developing T2D, and research shows that this is because statins increase insulin resistance. (See for example https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/ATVBAHA.121.316159 .)

You've been working hard and successfully to reduce your insulin resistance-- hence your great drop in HbA1c! If taking statins increased your insulin resistance, you might find that depressing and demotivating, and that might make it harder for you to stick to your new good habits.

So-- all the more reason to do what a lot of doctors would recommend anyway: first, see whether you can reduce your non-HDL cholesterol through diet. There's a lot of good information online, for example https://www.bda.uk.com/resource/cholesterol.html ; and ask your doctor what s/he thinks.

@Spathiphyllum - you use the phrase "insulin resistance" as do others on the forum. What do you mean by that term?

Please be assured that I am in no way trying to start an argument or even a debate on the subject. I'm not sure what is meant by it and Its just that i think it important that we have a common understanding of terms being used.

@Spathiphyllum - you use the phrase "insulin resistance" as do others on the forum. What do you mean by that term?

Please be assured that I am in no way trying to start an argument or even a debate on the subject. I'm not sure what is meant by it and Its just that i think it important that we have a common understanding of terms being used.

It's usually as part of a response to hyperinsulinemia which some believe is the root cause of T2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back