High blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well tried to get a call back from gp no appointments tried this morning and just now.wasted 40mins on the phone for nothing well fed up.

Yes, it’s similar at my surgery. I found phoning at 2pm or after 4pm meant I was much higher in the queue (number 3 rather than 26). I don’t know how your surgery works but I’d hope you should be able to see/speak to a nurse at least - maybe in some days. If not, when you get through you could ask to speak to the Practice Manager and explain you’ve been given the insulins without much input or any follow-up and see if they can suggest something. Your blood sugar was very high as you report above and I think you’re going to have to push for help, hard as it is.

I understand how frustrating it can be. I was very stressed trying to contact my surgery, but asking to speak to someone in authority does help. The other thing you could try is to get an emergency appointment. They often have a few of those kept free.

Spoke to diabetes Community team nurse.I should decrease short acting to 15 unit and increase long acting to 82 units

Great news 🙂 That’s a good start. Getting the insulin doses right takes time, but I’m very pleased you’ve spoken to somebody.

Also have tooth infection which could be causing the high sugar levels as well.

Also have tooth infection which could be causing the high sugar levels as well.

Yes, that could be contributing. It’s a bit of a vicious circle. High sugars can make you more prone to infections and then the infections can push your blood sugar higher.

I had a gum disease in the period before I was diagnosed (I'd had it for a while, it started when my Mum was dying of cancer and I was quite stressed.), and was having treatment for it up until last December. The dentist (Plus my cleaning regime) managed to remove it completely, although it did require an extraction as one tooth had so much infection under it she couldn't get rid of, but I was having an implant next to it so they said they can make the implant larger to cover the area - my bleeding scale was down to zero at the end of last year. It took quite a while to clear up, but they wanted to sort it before putting implants in (I've had the first implant in last month, and it healed so well the dentist was surprised. He said it doesn't look as if anything has been done.)

I'm wondering if the disease was caused by high blood sugars.

I had a gum disease in the period before I was diagnosed (I'd had it for a while, it started when my Mum was dying of cancer and I was quite stressed.), and was having treatment for it up until last December. The dentist (Plus my cleaning regime) managed to remove it completely, although it did require an extraction as one tooth had so much infection under it she couldn't get rid of, but I was having an implant next to it so they said they can make the implant larger to cover the area - my bleeding scale was down to zero at the end of last year. It took quite a while to clear up, but they wanted to sort it before putting implants in (I've had the first implant in last month, and it healed so well the dentist was surprised. He said it doesn't look as if anything has been done.)

I'm wondering if the disease was caused by high blood sugars.
It can certainly be because the bacteria and yeasts that inhabit your mouth love a sugary environment and produce acid when they metabolise so that tends to damage the enamel of the teeth.

I had a filling fall out and had nothing but problems since looks like I losing it.I did not want that but looks like no choice don’t have many left wish I could afford implants don’t have any teeth left to eat with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back