Hi it is JOV

Morning All - Well I tested well up this morning 10.4 - nothing changed, ate well yesterday - but had a cortisone injection yesterday afternoon in my knee. So I researched it (well Goggle did) and yes cortisone injections can raise blood sugars wish I had been told

Morning All - Well I tested well up this morning 10.4 - nothing changed, ate well yesterday - but had a cortisone injection yesterday afternoon in my knee. So I researched it (well Goggle did) and yes cortisone injections can raise blood sugars wish I had been told
The effect on blood glucose usually wears off reasonably quickly whereas oral steroids have their influence much longer.
You may need to be extra careful with the carbs.

Reactions: JOV
The effect on blood glucose usually wears off reasonably quickly whereas oral steroids have their influence much longer.
You may need to be extra careful with the carbs.
Thanks I saw that so hopefully short lived. I was also on Oral steroids earlier in the year, but because my then Pre-diabetes was not flagged the doctor just prescribed them.

Last edited:
Thanks I saw that so hopefully short lived. I was also on Oral steroids earlier in the year, but because my then Ore-diabetes was not flagged the doctor just prescribed them.
You were probably unaware of the effect they had. My Other half had them for a Crohn's flare up and put on a huge amount of weight which is is struggling to lose, he is not diabetic though.

2nd week average morning readings was down to 7.4 (Including spike after cortisone) but a lower weight loss of only 2 Ilb - but all in all positive.

Week 1 average 8.1
Week 2 average 7.4 (including spike after cortisone injection)

Last edited:
3rd week of daily tests and numbers have still been dropping, as is my weight if only by 2.5 pounds

Week 1 average Blood Glucose 8.1
Week 2 average Blood Glucose 7.4 (including spike after cortisone injection)
Week 3 average Blood Glucose 6.8

So things are moving in the right direction - I am now going starting to look at more accurately measuring my carbs and try and keep it under 150 grams which I manage most days but other days I have probably been hitting nearer 200g of carbs

I may also try and reduce overall calories and try and keep the weight loss moving which is hard as I am hungry a lot.

3rd week of daily tests and numbers have still been dropping, as is my weight if only by 2.5 pounds

Week 1 average Blood Glucose 8.1
Week 2 average Blood Glucose 7.4 (including spike after cortisone injection)
Week 3 average Blood Glucose 6.8

So things are moving in the right direction - I am now going starting to look at more accurately measuring my carbs and try and keep it under 150 grams which I manage most days but other days I have probably been hitting nearer 200g of carbs

I may also try and reduce overall calories and try and keep the weight loss moving which is hard as I am hungry a lot.
You could try aiming at 130g per day but make sure you have protein and healthy fats as that may help to stop you being hungry.

Back