Help with my EPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello all!
My name is Toni McKenzie and I am a Year 13 student doing a research project for my EPQ which is an extended project qualification that is worth half an A level. In my EPQ I plan to find the answer to my question which is "To what extent do you agree that genetics is the main factor when gaining Type 2 Diabetes"

To help me answer my question I have created a survey that consists of only 10 questions. It is completely anonymous and anyone can fill it out as regardless of whether you have Type 2 Diabetes or not! I need more people to get a more accurate study and I would love if everyone could do it and pass it on!! The more data, the better!

*if you have any questions feel free to ask! additionally - I 100% promise all responses go towards my EPQ only and will not be used for anything else*

This has been approve by @Josh DUK

Thank you,
Toni

Last edited by a moderator:
To what extent do you agree that genetics is the main factor when gaining Type 2 Diabetes"
To answer your question I'm sure that there are some people who have a genetic tendency to develop T2 the main reason for them doing so however is the toxic dietary world in which we live, where cheap and long lasting food is in abundance made from highly processed carbohydrates with added sugar and toxic seed oils.

To answer your question I'm sure that there are some people who have a genetic tendency to develop T2 the main reason for them doing so however is the toxic dietary world in which we live, where cheap and long lasting food is in abundance made from highly processed carbohydrates with added sugar and toxic seed oils.

No, not true.

Genetic factors plus being overweight and poor lipid profiles are the cause. Not food.

The majority of people can eat most food, even the processed stuff, without developing T2, and a lot of people can be overweight and not develop T2.

Some people can be a normal weight and develop T2.

What's 'long lasting food'?

(Just waiting for links to various YouTube videos now)

Last edited:
Hi, I totally agree with you! Most cases of T2D (Type 2 Diabetes) does come from lifestyle and environmental factors. That is why when you get diagnosed with prediabetes, the Doctor usually tells you to monitor how you are eating and exercise more. However, genetics does play a part in it and I just wanted to research and evaluate how much of a part it plays! As there are people who live significantly unhealthy lives and never gain T2D and visa versa those who lives very healthy lives and end up with T2D, I would love to compare and contrast which one effects the most people. - this is what my research is all about!

Hi, I totally agree with you! Most cases of T2D (Type 2 Diabetes) does come from lifestyle and environmental factors. That is why when you get diagnosed with prediabetes, the Doctor usually tells you to monitor how you are eating and exercise more. However, genetics does play a part in it and I just wanted to research and evaluate how much of a part it plays! As there are people who live significantly unhealthy lives and never gain T2D and visa versa those who lives very healthy lives and end up with T2D, I would love to compare and contrast which one effects the most people. - this is what my research is all about!

Prediabetes is caused by insulin resistance, which is caused by poor metabolic health. The lifestyle change is required to stop it from getting worse and tipping over into diabetes, and can also improve the metabolic health, which is usually by losing weight. Food doesn't cause diabetes. This is the equivalent to the joke I often hear in the office when there are cakes - 'this'll give me diabetes.' For most people, it won't.

No, not true.

Genetic factors plus being overweight and poor lipid profiles are the cause. Not food.

The majority of people can eat most food, even the processed stuff, without developing T2, and a lot of people can be overweight and not develop T2.

Some people can be a normal weight and develop T2.

What's 'long lasting food'?

(Just waiting for links to various YouTube videos now)
Hi, I agree with what you said as I also think its an equal mixture of both. As you said genetic factors plus an unhealthy lifestyle can lead to T2D.

Prediabetes is caused by insulin resistance, which is caused by poor metabolic health. The lifestyle change is required to stop it from getting worse and tipping over into diabetes, and can also improve the metabolic health, which is usually by losing weight. Food doesn't cause diabetes. This is the equivalent to the joke I often hear in the office when there are cakes - 'this'll give me diabetes.' For most people, it won't.
Hi, thank you for teaching me something new! In your opinion, what would you say is the biggest contributing factor to T2D? I am still learning all about it and I would love to hear everyone's opinions on this!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the interaction and teaching me new things about Diabetes! Please don't forget fill out my survey 🙂

I’m Type 1 not Type 2 @tonimckenzie04 but I understand Type 2 is connected to genes eg some links here:

https://beyondtype2.org/is-type-2-diabetes-hereditary/

Is your EPQ an opinion piece (researching people’s opinions about Type 2) or is it a kind of basic scientific study?

And has @everydayupsanddowns or @Josh DUK approved your questionnaire?
Hi,
I am looking for all types of diabetics, non-diabetics, and anyone to fill out this form!
My EPQ is a bit of both. I have a hypothesis which is my opinion however, my opinion is based on the scientific study I am conducting as well as other studies out there.
Hope this answers your question!

I am third generation t2 in my family on my dads side, all the women affected also suffer with fertility issues and miscarriages, my trigger was an eating disorder causing rapid weight gain, insulin resistance was picked up around age 13. There is research about young diabetes being commissioned at the moment that could lead into your work, will have a look at the survey now.

I am third generation t2 in my family on my dads side, all the women affected also suffer with fertility issues and miscarriages, my trigger was an eating disorder causing rapid weight gain, insulin resistance was picked up around age 13. There is research about young diabetes being commissioned at the moment that could lead into your work, will have a look at the survey now.
Hi,
Thank you so much for sharing.
I have a similar story to you. My mum is a 3rd generation T2. I haven't been diagnosed but Healthcare Professionals have told me there are a lot of signs leading to a future diagnosis leading for me to be the 4th generation. One of those signs is my diagnosis of PCOS which can lead to insulin resistance.
I would love to see research about young diabetes as that could help my work!

Hi,
Thank you so much for sharing.
I have a similar story to you. My mum is a 3rd generation T2. I haven't been diagnosed but Healthcare Professionals have told me there are a lot of signs leading to a future diagnosis leading for me to be the 4th generation. One of those signs is my diagnosis of PCOS which can lead to insulin resistance.
I would love to see research about young diabetes as that could help my work!
Hi
Sorry to see your family have been through similar issues. My understanding is that when pcos symptoms appear that they are triggered by insulin resistance not the other way around.
Diabetes U.K. are just about to launch a bid for professionals to apply for funding for research into young diabetes, I read through the documents ahead of them going live for the team. I will see if I can find the info I read about insulin resistance triggering pcos aa it’s now the second time I have heard of it being said to be the other way round so want to make sure I am correct, will reply once checked.

This is what I saw the insulin resistance comes first, I first saw the research by the Jewish Hospital in America where they found metformin can reduce the risk of miscarriages with women and pcos back in the 1990’s. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/causes/ which obviously can lead to t2 and things like hyperplasia and abnormal tissue growth in the womb and then other complications related to t2.

Have you see the post higher up about t2 and young people, it has Jodie’s email address in, maybe you could like in with her re your work?

This is the post with Jodie’s details https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...-40-type-2-diabetes-we-need-your-help.103832/

At one point it was thought a sudden weight gain in a genetically predisposed t2 women would trigger insulin resistance and then pcos, believe I saw this in a verity news letter years ago but could be wrong, there was a suggestion make siblings would develop insulin resistance as well and related symptoms. There was research to be done around weight loss as well as pcos can also affect those that are underweight. My own weight gain hit around 12 years old due to an eating disorder and periods stopped at age 13, diagnosed then within a year and diabetes hit in my 20’s and hyperplasia by 30, my last pregnancy loss was age 27, not tried since then due to the hyperplasia and treatment for it being too invasive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back