Help ! I can't wear my pump when doing Sports...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumper_sue,

that doesn't work.. I tried it the first time I took the pump off to play cricket.

Unfortunately an innings can be a 4/5 hour period out in the field, and therefore I needed to take 4 units to cover. My b/s at the time was 6.1. half hour in I felt really light headed and left the field, tested and I was 1.9.... !!!?!?!?!?!

DSN suggested it was because the insulin goes straight into the blood stream and therefore acts all at once, plus due to exercise my BS goes lower also...

She said its a bit like taking a jog in 50 degree heat. cover yourself in ice at the start and you'll be REALLY cold at the start, but will be REALLY hot at the end. But take constant cold drinks and you'll stay cool throughout...

Phil,
I'm confused by what you are saying. If you are saying your normal usage would be 4 units then......... surely if playing sports you reduce your insulin acordingly :confused: Surely the umpire can hold on to your gear for you and stop play for a few mins to sort yourself out.
It does sound to me as if you need to sort out your insulin needs whilst playing sport and either bolus or not the right amount by pen according to blood sugars, if not wearing the pump.
Do you have the book pumping insulin by John Walsh? If not highly recommend it can be found on amazon and known as the pumpers bible.

Hi Phil,

Would I be right in thinking that you are on 1u/hour or thereabouts, hence needing 4 units over 4 or 5 hours? The reason you would have gone low is because instead of those 4u being spread over the 4 hours or so, you've given it all in one go.

Hi Phil,

Would I be right in thinking that you are on 1u/hour or thereabouts, hence needing 4 units over 4 or 5 hours? The reason you would have gone low is because instead of those 4u being spread over the 4 hours or so, you've given it all in one go.

Shiv,

Correct. This is the reason I can't give up front, and can't ask teh game to stop for 4/5 minutes every hour to do a test and correct...

Must be some way round it...

Have read 100's of books articles and stufff and still no luck !!!

Is it possible to keep your kit close to you when you are playing? Testing only takes a matter of seconds, I know it would interrupt your flow of the game but if you could test quickly and correct as necessary it would obviously benefit you massively.

Is there no break at all during the games? (sorry I know nothing about cricket!!)

Is it possible to keep your kit close to you when you are playing? Testing only takes a matter of seconds, I know it would interrupt your flow of the game but if you could test quickly and correct as necessary it would obviously benefit you massively.

Is there no break at all during the games? (sorry I know nothing about cricket!!)

Umpire can have Phil's test kit in his pocket no problem as well as his pen Phil can quite easily test between bowling and jab the before the next one. No hold up at all.
Same as he can quite easily keep the pump in his pocket with padding for protection and velcro or a safety pin to hold pocket shut.

Men! Who invented them? 😱

Err, what was wrong with the sports shoulder/back holster thingy I posted the link to?

A cricket ball fast bowled will leave the bowler at 130-145kph, and will then lose anything up to 30-isk kph depending on weather, state of pitch affecting bounce etc etc. (bit like the variables that affect BG)

Soooo, we need padding that will protect a lump of plastic and some complicated electrics from a spherical lump of wood travelling at (give or take) anything up to 90 miles an hour. That will be light enough and small enough to keep in your trouser pocket, snuggling up to your box. Lovely.

May I suggest Kryptonite ......

I know it might be a bit of a problem but ! I used to spend 3 days a week in the north sea in all kinds of weather. Did nt reall enjoy myself till a force 5 wind with white horses ! Dont let some strong duck tape put you off !😱😱

Well when I look at the bra thingy - and particularly the 'access hole' in it - that Roche supply for theirs you'd think you'd never get the pump in it, but you can. Takes a bit of 'persuasion' but you can get there.

Well of course Medtronic are gonna say that, I'm sure Roche would say theirs wan't suitable for a Medtronic.

It looked like it was made of Lycra to me, like the bra thingy I'm on about, hence whilst knowing eg the Spirit is a bit bigger than the Veo I thought it was stretchy, so was worth a try. Did they say eg it fits this pump and that pump, but not your pump - or did they just dismiss it?

Plus - I'm sure everyone knows somebody who can operate a needle and thread to good effect - even if they can't themselves, don't they??? Crikey, we've even replaced a panel in a tent using a normal domestic sewing machine before now! Took 3 of us to deal with the feeding it through - but we did it. And it looked OK and it worked.

It's a shame nobody has one you could have a look at.

Just had another random thought, ish ....

What about Runsweet? they exist to assist Diabetic sports people - have you tried asking them?

http://www.runsweet.com/

Phil not read all the posts, so may be repeating myself..

I would look for if you haven't got a friend who is handy with a sewing machine or you may have a leather craft person/company near you..

Depending on who does it, you need to get them to make an holster type thing, that fits over your shoulders etc and then make a purpose pouch that frimly attached to the holster...

Phil,

I captain my local cricket team.....it is tricky but actually I have found playing cricket with pump therapy easier than MDI. When batting I just disconnect my pump, the exercise more than compensates for my basal that I've missed, whilst fielding I give myself a 10% Temoprary basal rate....seems to work for me. I wear cricket trousers that have a pocket and use a slightly longer line than normal. So far, all's well.....I was regularly in the 20s on MDI whilst playing cricket. 🙂

HI
have you tried these http://www.pumpwearinc.com they do waist bands which we wear for hockey- have even wrapped the pump in bubble wrap themn put it in the waist band ,they stop the pump flapping🙂

Phil,

I captain my local cricket team.....it is tricky but actually I have found playing cricket with pump therapy easier than MDI. When batting I just disconnect my pump, the exercise more than compensates for my basal that I've missed, whilst fielding I give myself a 10% Temoprary basal rate....seems to work for me. I wear cricket trousers that have a pocket and use a slightly longer line than normal. So far, all's well.....I was regularly in the 20s on MDI whilst playing cricket. 🙂

I know someone who plays cricket with a pump and same as you just puts it in his pocket with no problems

Phil,

Issue with putting in my pocket when fielding is that I am a keeper, and so am always diving around... hurts to land on it and don't want to smash it.

With regard batting, maybe I am too correct a batsman and hit too many 4's but after 2 hours of batting I am always in the 20's.... obviously exercise does not have the same impact on me...

Issue with putting in my pocket when fielding is that I am a keeper, and so am always diving around... hurts to land on it and don't want to smash it.

With regard batting, maybe I am too correct a batsman and hit too many 4's but after 2 hours of batting I am always in the 20's.... obviously exercise does not have the same impact on me...

Wrap it in some bubble wrap same as everyone else would. Beside unless you sat on your backside it will be fine in back pocket.

So you have choices to make...
1 give up sport
2 give up pump
3 think up your own idea for wearing the pump because what ever anyone else suggests is wrong 🙄

Ragnar Hanas' book suggests when doing a day of energetic sport you could use levemir as your background and disconnect the pump. He suggests starting with 0.2U/kg as a starting point and trial and error from there, remembering to reduce your evening basal rates as the injected dose will still be floating around. You could try to get your levemir to a level where it keeps you steady - and have a few gel sachets in your pocket just in case. I know it would be hard work at first and result in random highs and lows, but unfortunately with diabetes and exercise the only thing that works is trial and error! Maybe you could use one of your training days to experiment a bit. Presumably you could still connect your pump for meal time boluses as required.

I'm not on a pump, but I know these things are do-able. I did a triathlon recently and after some trial and error in training finished on 6.2 without having done any BG tests or injections en route.

Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back