• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

HbA1c 79 - don’t fully understand

Ohh, I didn't realise teasting first thing in the morning before eating is also a guide on how D is behaving.
I think that because there are less factors influencing it and you tend to have a regular routine so easier to compare day to day, week to week.

My NHS Medical Center told me my HbA1c reading from the blood test on Tuesday (4th June) was 35 mmol/mol.

March 28th - 79 mmol/mol
June 4th - 35 mmol/mol

I thought it was slightly unusual to have the tests only 2 months and 3 days apart, I was expecting the test to be 3 months apart.
That’s an incredible reduction in a short space of time, and you’ve obviously been very committed to ensure that you achieved that level of change. By the sound of it you’re now reintroducing some extra carbs to make things more sustainable on a longer term basis, and to see what ‘works’ going forward.

You’ve said that you’re taking a GLP-1 drug and have asked for metformin as well. I’ve achieved a significant (albeit not as great as yours!) reduction in HbA1c whilst taking semaglutide and metformin, both of which I still take now. I’m happy to continue with the metformin on a long term/permanent basis (as much for its cardio benefits as for the diabetes), but would prefer to stop the semaglutide at a certain point. What are your thoughts going forward about taking meds?

Hi @Sussexmax I share your view on metformin. A couple of weeks ago I started taking 500mg prolonged release daily with my meal that contains most carbs.

I continue to read daily about the various entries in to the diabetes & weight loss field and I find it incredible the phase 2 and phase 3 test results coming from the clinical trials. I am having amazing results with Tirzepatide (GLP-1 & GIP) and it clearly helps with my T2D management. I have read from people that switched from Semaglutide that they found Tirzepatide easier on them (I'm not suggesting you switch, just that Semaglutide can be harder long term).

I know 2 people on clinical trials that are taking Cagrilintide and Semaglutide (CagriSema) purely for weight loss and having amazing results at low doses. Cagrilintide is an Amylin analogue. Amylin suppresses postprandial glucagon secretion through several mechanisms, which collectively help regulate blood glucose levels after a meal. It looks like low doses of Cagrilintide will be a hugely beneficial option to managing T2D.

Improving glycemic control by slowing gastric emptying seems like such a simple concept but that alone is having huge health and metabolic impact on individuals. The additional appetite regulation and weight loss also ties in with better metabolic health.

I am probably most excited about Retatrutide. Retatrutide is a triple receptor agonist that works on GLP-1, GIP and Glucagon. I know someone who works in the medical field who is on 12mg weekly as part of a clinical trial. He shares all the latest information coming from trials and studies. Data released onver the weekend in the USA:

Fasting glucose changes on Retatrutide:
-17.5 mg/dL for 0.5 mg
-30.1 for 4 mg
-55.2 for 8 mg
-67.8 for 12 mg

Adiponectin -- a marker of insulin sensitivity -- also significantly increased with Retatrutidein both patient populations:
With type 2 diabetes at week 36:
+51.5 mg/L with 8 mg
+41.1 mg/L with 12 mg

With obesity at week 48:
+70.2 mg/L with 8 mg
+57.2 mg/L with 12 mg

Homa-IR (insulin resistance) dropped 38% for diabetics and 52% for obese patients at the 2 highest doses.

Increased beta cell function by 87% on the 12mg dose for diabetics (which is insane).

The landscape is changing so fast. Survodutide & Mazdutide are both GLP-1 & Glucagon receptor agonists that promote energy expenditure. Both improve insulin secretion and reduce appetite.

Hi @Sussexmax I share your view on metformin. A couple of weeks ago I started taking 500mg prolonged release daily with my meal that contains most carbs.

I continue to read daily about the various entries in to the diabetes & weight loss field and I find it incredible the phase 2 and phase 3 test results coming from the clinical trials. I am having amazing results with Tirzepatide (GLP-1 & GIP) and it clearly helps with my T2D management. I have read from people that switched from Semaglutide that they found Tirzepatide easier on them (I'm not suggesting you switch, just that Semaglutide can be harder long term).

I know 2 people on clinical trials that are taking Cagrilintide and Semaglutide (CagriSema) purely for weight loss and having amazing results at low doses. Cagrilintide is an Amylin analogue. Amylin suppresses postprandial glucagon secretion through several mechanisms, which collectively help regulate blood glucose levels after a meal. It looks like low doses of Cagrilintide will be a hugely beneficial option to managing T2D.

Improving glycemic control by slowing gastric emptying seems like such a simple concept but that alone is having huge health and metabolic impact on individuals. The additional appetite regulation and weight loss also ties in with better metabolic health.

I am probably most excited about Retatrutide. Retatrutide is a triple receptor agonist that works on GLP-1, GIP and Glucagon. I know someone who works in the medical field who is on 12mg weekly as part of a clinical trial. He shares all the latest information coming from trials and studies. Data released onver the weekend in the USA:

Fasting glucose changes on Retatrutide:
-17.5 mg/dL for 0.5 mg
-30.1 for 4 mg
-55.2 for 8 mg
-67.8 for 12 mg

Adiponectin -- a marker of insulin sensitivity -- also significantly increased with Retatrutidein both patient populations:
With type 2 diabetes at week 36:
+51.5 mg/L with 8 mg
+41.1 mg/L with 12 mg

With obesity at week 48:
+70.2 mg/L with 8 mg
+57.2 mg/L with 12 mg

Homa-IR (insulin resistance) dropped 38% for diabetics and 52% for obese patients at the 2 highest doses.

Increased beta cell function by 87% on the 12mg dose for diabetics (which is insane).

The landscape is changing so fast. Survodutide & Mazdutide are both GLP-1 & Glucagon receptor agonists that promote energy expenditure. Both improve insulin secretion and reduce appetite.

Just to mention that metformin does not directly have it's effect on the carbs you eat at any meal but works in the background to help your body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduce the output of glucose by the liver.
People may get the wrong impression that it magically makes the carbs in the food disappear.
What ever combination of meds and what you are doing has brought you well into the normal range.

Back