• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

HbA1c 79 - don’t fully understand

To have expected your HbA1C to have dropped from 79 mmol/mol at the end of March to 32mmol/mol (5.1%) would be highly unlikely so I would be very suspicious of that reading.
Understood, will definitely report back next week when I get the NHS results.

Edit: I must reply to your point "To have expected your HbA1C to have dropped from ......." that I did not expect anything, I was taking a reading and reporting what it was, in the same way I would have reported any reading. I was told I have T2D less than 8 weeks ago, I don't expect anything tbh, I am trying to learn here.

Understood, will definitely report back next week when I get the NHS results.

Edit: I must reply to your point "To have expected your HbA1C to have dropped from ......." that I did not expect anything, I was taking a reading and reporting what it was, in the same way I would have reported any reading. I was told I have T2D less than 8 weeks ago, I don't expect anything tbh, I am trying to learn here.
I perhaps said that ambiguously, it was it was a reason to be suspicious of the result not that you actually 'expected' it to be that much lower. Apologies, my other half often says I am being ambiguous.

My NHS Medical Center told me my HbA1c reading from the blood test on Tuesday (4th June) was 35 mmol/mol.

March 28th - 79 mmol/mol
June 4th - 35 mmol/mol

I thought it was slightly unusual to have the tests only 2 months and 3 days apart, I was expecting the test to be 3 months apart.

My NHS Medical Center told me my HbA1c reading from the blood test on Tuesday (4th June) was 35 mmol/mol.

March 28th - 79 mmol/mol
June 4th - 35 mmol/mol

I thought it was slightly unusual to have the tests only 2 months and 3 days apart, I was expecting the test to be 3 months apart.
That would be normal but well done in that time as there would have been some overlap with the time scale of only 2 months.

That would be normal but well done in that time as there would have been some overlap with the time scale of only 2 months.
Thank you. I am hoping I can increase my daily carb intake from about 20g to 60g. Hopefully this will work out okay for me health wise.

Thank you. I am hoping I can increase my daily carb intake from about 20g to 60g. Hopefully this will work out okay for me health wise.
WOW you did go quite extreme with the carb reduction and it was obviously successful. What you need now is a sustainable regime that will be your new way of eating which will maintain your good level.
Have you got a home monitor so you can keep track of where you are week to week.

WOW you did go quite extreme with the carb reduction and it was obviously successful. What you need now is a sustainable regime that will be your new way of eating which will maintain your good level.
Have you got a home monitor so you can keep track of where you are week to week.
During April and some of May I was wearing a Dexcom G7 CGM. I stopped wearing one a few weeks ago as I found it slightly uncomfortable in bed. I have a new one ready to fit so maybe I will do that and monitor again.

During April and some of May I was wearing a Dexcom G7 CGM. I stopped wearing one a few weeks ago as I found it slightly uncomfortable in bed. I have a new one ready to fit so maybe I will do that and monitor again.
Just a weekly morning finger prick would likely be sufficient rather than the expense of a CGM unless you feel you are going off track.

Ah, so just a finger prick once a week to check fasting glucose levels?
That would give you a good idea if you were staying on track, some people do it every day but unless you are unwell or serious go awry somehow that will give you a good guide.

Hi @Leadinglights I have been using an Accu-Chek Instant daily since the 10th June. I have found it very easy to use and really like the tag features. I've been averaging 3 readings a day just to build up a bit of a profile for myself and will reduce this soon. My blood sugar average has been 5.2mmol/L with a deviation of + - 0.5mmol/L. I have increased my carbs from 20g per day to between 50/60g per day. I was wondering if I should be looking to make any more changes in the short term?

1719392301596.png1719392320790.png

Those all look very normal if not actually on the low end of normal.
What your testing times are not telling you is your response to particular meals as you don't have a before eating and after 2 hours reading.

If this is just maintenance testing to ensure things are not deteriorating then as mentioned above in post #70, once a day, perhaps first thing in the morning, may be enough to keep an eye on things and testing before and after any meals that are new to your repertoire to see check if you don't have an adverse response to them.

You have done brilliantly by the way and it is good that you have been able to relax your carb intake a bit and still see great results. No point in being stricter than you need to which is part of the benefit of testing, so that you can find a reasonable balance with diet and BG levels.

Those all look very normal if not actually on the low end of normal.
What your testing times are not telling you is your response to particular meals as you don't have a before eating and after 2 hours reading.
Thank you. I have tried to take a reading about 90-120 minutes after a meal where I have more than 30 carbs, so quite a few of the above readings fall in to that category. I think my highest reading was 6.2mmol/L after 2 x breaded chicken burger brioche rolls (60g carbs). I am careful to have fat and protein with carbs, and I have cut out processed carbs. I am enjoying eating a bit more fruit tbh :)

If this is just maintenance testing to ensure things are not deteriorating then as mentioned above in post #70, once a day, perhaps first thing in the morning, may be enough to keep an eye on things and testing before and after any meals that are new to your repertoire to see check if you don't have an adverse response to them.

You have done brilliantly by the way and it is good that you have been able to relax your carb intake a bit and still see great results. No point in being stricter than you need to which is part of the benefit of testing, so that you can find a reasonable balance with diet and BG levels.
With once a day testing in the morning am I just looking for a consistent reading over the long term?

With once a day testing in the morning am I just looking for a consistent reading over the long term?
Yes. If you start to see the morning readings steadily increasing over a period of weeks and months, discounting any temporary rises due to illness, stress, medication for other ailments etc, then that would indicate that something was amiss and to start doing more frequent testing perhaps around meals to see if there are particular foods that you are having an adverse response to.

Yes. If you start to see the morning readings steadily increasing over a period of weeks and months, discounting any temporary rises due to illness, stress, medication for other ailments etc, then that would indicate that something was amiss and to start doing more frequent testing perhaps around meals to see if there are particular foods that you are having an adverse response to.
Thank you, I will start doing this.

Thank you. I have tried to take a reading about 90-120 minutes after a meal where I have more than 30 carbs, so quite a few of the above readings fall in to that category. I think my highest reading was 6.2mmol/L after 2 x breaded chicken burger brioche rolls (60g carbs). I am careful to have fat and protein with carbs, and I have cut out processed carbs. I am enjoying eating a bit more fruit tbh :)
Sorry but it was quite hard to tell as I was struggling to read it, I zoomed up to make it bigger but that just made it out of focus so didn't help.
It looks like you coped very well with the carbs you had. No more than 8-8.5 mmol/l after 2 hours is the guideline.

Ohh, I didn't realise teasting first thing in the morning before eating is also a guide on how D is behaving.

Back