Guess the C Peptide results

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lucyr - when are you expecting to be able to discuss this with someone knowledgeable?

So it’s probably time I revealed the results. Those who said low-normal were wrong and those who said low were correct.

My c-peptide (blood test) was 265, with a normal range of 350-1800, but i think that was the normal range for a normal bg, and you’d expect a higher result for high bg / type 2 producing too much insulin.

My test was 2hours after a meal without insulin and my blood sugar was about 17, so a pancreas producing adequate insulin with a high blood sugar should have been producing a lot more insulin, to bring down the BG.

I’m taking this to mean I produce a bit of insulin, enough that it explains why mostly I don’t get DKA when I have ketones, but that it’s not enough and I do need to be injecting insulin. Have no clue how they will decide whether this means T1, T2, MODY, other exotic type, etc.

Last edited:
I’m taking this to mean I produce a bit of insulin, enough that it explains why mostly I don’t get DKA when I have ketones, but that it’s not enough and I do need to be injecting insulin. Have no clue how they will decide whether this means T1, T2, MODY, other exotic type, etc.

How interesting for you @Lucyr

I was going to opt for 'Low' (no really!). Hope it gives you some clarity at your next appointment - but what a long wait!

Tbh after all the years you've been made to struggle and given that your body doesn't produce anything like enough insulin to keep you in range, I really hope they can put a tick in the T1 / LADA type box so that you can access Libre2 etc should you want it.

When are they going to do the sensible thing and prescribe cgms for everyone taking insulin?

Awww I changed my mind from low to low-normal. I really hope they give you answers, and ones that mean NHS funded Libre would be nice

How interesting for you @Lucyr

I was going to opt for 'Low' (no really!). Hope it gives you some clarity at your next appointment - but what a long wait!

Tbh after all the years you've been made to struggle and given that your body doesn't produce anything like enough insulin to keep you in range, I really hope they can put a tick in the T1 / LADA type box so that you can access Libre2 etc should you want it.
Thankyou, I’m hoping this means they stop throwing T2 tablets that don’t work at me perhaps, but i really want it to mean T1 not MODY or T2 with knackered pancreas.

If I have googled correctly the treatment for MODY is tablets like gliclazide that didn’t work for me, and MODY & T2 on MDI don’t get libre/tech here. Need it to be T1 for a chance at getting any tech!

I do have a diabetes dietician appointment in April, so I can check if waiting till June is best then.

Yes, I wonder what it'll be?
I don’t think any of us will be able to guess my type, will be really interesting if I ever find out for sure! I’ll leave my type as other for now, ‘type 1 in permanent mild honeymoon’ is probably the best description for now

I suspect that's the best description for me too, Lucy - I'm so glad they decided I was type 1 straight away!

I presume you've had a GAD antibody test done at some point? - what was the result of that (if you don't mind my asking)?

Calling @Pattidevans and @Alan S to name but two who like me always reckoned you never had anything like normal Type 2 "in the reign of pig's pudding", to quote my husband #1 when presented with a ridiculous scenario - except his were more like when an elderly Indian doctor told him his equally elderly car couldn't possibly have anything as common as the body rot which any car made out of metal pressings eventually get along the tops of its front wings adjacent to where its lovely chrome wing mirrors were fitted 'because it is a Rolls Royce, Barry!'

Ooops, silly me ........ :D

I am going to be like my own mother here who despite her telling me for ages I had all the classic symptoms of diabetes and I'd told her not to be so over dramatic cos I felt sure it wouldn't be anything that 'serious' - never ever said 'those 4 words' to me, so I shan't either to you.

I very much look forward to hearing how it goes for you from now on, forwards Lucy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume you've had a GAD antibody test done at some point? - what was the result of that (if you don't mind my asking)?
Never had one, probably too late now

If I were @lucy or you @Bruce Stephens - I'd want it changed to T1 for the simple reason that eg Libre and insulin pumps are only prescribed for people with T1. (Just because we treat you as T1 does not mean you are entitled to everything T1s can have, because you are not T1.)

I do empathise with @Lucyr . It took me 8.5 years to get a C-Peptide test and then, although I knew the result at end June no one available (i.e. the GPs) could interpret it. I had to wait until the September to see the Endo who said "given your low result and recalling how ill you were at diagnosis, I have concluded you are T1". So still a bit woolly really, but at least it ended the awful period where I was told just what @trophywench said above "Just because we treat you as T1 does not mean you are entitled to everything T1s can have, because you are not T1". I wasn't offered GAD tests as the endo said that any antibodies would be out of my system after 8 years. However, I have developed several other auto-immune conditions, so I think the Endo was right and I really am T1.

Big HUGS to you @Lucyr I've always thought you were not T2 FWIW. The waiting is awful though, specially when the results are in.

Tee hee @Pattidevans - then I started bullying you to ask for a pump .........

(PS heard from one of the horses mouths last night that NICE have agreed to reconsider introducing an 'automatic' NHS screening programme for prostate cancer later this year)

Tee hee @Pattidevans - then I started bullying you to ask for a pump .........

(PS heard from one of the horses mouths last night that NICE have agreed to reconsider introducing an 'automatic' NHS screening programme for prostate cancer later this year)
Don't want to derail this thread - but so they should. So much preventable suffering!

Never had one, probably too late now
Sorry to hear that, Lucy - and it's ridiculous they never did that, I can understand them not doing the C-peptide initially as that seems to be so much more complicated, but doing a GAD antibody test should be standard for anyone whose diabetes doesn't fit into usual patterns for type 2. My extremely high (off the charts) result for GAD was what got me my type 1 diagnosis (along with the DKA and the rapid weight loss) even though they looked at me as though they'd never heard of anyone over 21 getting type 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back