Guess the C Peptide results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So, partway there with the long saga of what type am I, as I got my cpeptide results today. Unfortunately the person I got them from isn’t qualified to interpret, so I don’t know anything about what type they might decide to class me as, or whether any more tests are required.

For those who don’t know me as much
  • Current diagnosis is T2
  • Diagnosed age 21, no specific symptoms. Now age 35.
  • This is the first time I’ve got anyone to agree to a cpeptide test, have always been told definite T2.
  • High BMI which I’ve struggled with, haven’t got on with low carb, a low calorie/low fat diet suits my stomach better
  • T2 meds never worked, been through them all
  • On insulin probably 1-2 years after diagnosis. Needed it sooner as a1c always high before this but no DKA without it.
  • BGs still unpredictable, always felt I’m in permanent honeymoon with erratic bodily insulin production
  • Been admitted to hospital with high bg and urinary ketones twice. Am very prone to urine ketones but not had a serious DKA
  • Mild ketoacidosis with empagliflozin
  • One grandparent had T1 diagnosed in his 20s (but he died in the 60s so not sure how much was known about type then), two grandparent diagnosed T2 in 80s,
  • Many siblings and 2 parents don’t have diabetes but do have many other illnesses
  • I don’t have any known auto immune illnesses

So, there’s my life history, any guesses on my cpeptide? It was done after a high carb lunch without bolus, bg was about 17 at the time, and it was a blood test.

Can guess in words (I gave some options further down) and I’ll reveal all later on.

Last edited:
Wow I’m intrigued. I’m guessing it was low. Was it blood or urine ? C peptide is notoriously difficult to understand.

Edit. Sorry just noticed you said blood

I'm going to guess that it was low end of normal

My last blood one was 703 which was described as adequate. However I think there are different units used by different places

Wow I’m intrigued. I’m guessing it was low. Was it blood or urine ? C peptide is notoriously difficult to understand.

Edit. Sorry just noticed you said blood
Was blood. I’ll give some options for easier guessing

None
Very low
Low
Low end of normal
Mid range normal
High end of normal range
High

I am so tempted to take part in this so that I can look like a smart arse 😎..... because I already know the answer.... but my sense of fair play is preventing me. 🙄

I am so tempted to take part in this so that I can look like a smart arse 😎..... because I already know the answer.... but my sense of fair play is preventing me. 🙄
You think it’s very low don’t you :confused:

yes no playing if you already know, I’ll tell everyone else tomorrow

@EmmaL76.... I don't "think" anything because I have insider info, so I "know" the result. 😉
Of course, I could be trying to throw you and others off the scent! o_O

I never gonna sleep now 🙄

What do you think poor Lucy has been like, waiting years to be offered the test and then weeks to get the result!

I don't "think" anything because I have insider info, so I "know" the result. 😉
Of course, I could be trying to throw you and others off the scent! o_O
Ok so new rule… no special friends allowed in the tread :rofl:
Whatever the result @Lucyr i hope it’s given you some answers because I know it’s been rough for you xx

I just won't understand if it is anything other than too low to be of very much practical use to you.

What do you think poor Lucy has been like, waiting years to be offered the test and then weeks to get the result!
And then months to find out what it means….. I’ve waited 14 years so I can probably wait a few more months.

I suspect that as you're not sure which type they might decide to class you as it means the result is borderline. As I've never had a c-peptide test done I don't know the range so don't know whether borderline for type 1 would be high or low end of normal.

ME, while officially classed as a neurological rather than an auto immune disease, certainly has some auto immune components (it's often referred to as neuro-immune), so I also suspect you do have something auto immune going on, whatever they decide.

I seem to be stuck in permanent honeymoon too. Just when I think I've got my doses sorted my pancreas suddenly decides it works a bit after all. And then it doesn't. Frustrating, isn't it?!

ME, while officially classed as a neurological rather than an auto immune disease, certainly has some auto immune components (it's often referred to as neuro-immune), so I also suspect you do have something auto immune going on, whatever they decide.
Hmmm maybe it would have been relevant to have said also that my white blood cell count is always high, wonder if that would point to something immune.

The still not knowing what type yet - that’s as I haven’t actually spoken to anyone qualified to interpret it and the result isn’t immediately clear to myself, i have the numbers just not the English “so what”. Will explain better later on.

Mmmm.
I just read a paper that talked about high white blood cell count indicating autoimmune response.
Didn’t fully understand it, but it something to do with inflammation and T-cells…

I will go with low end of normal.

sucks doesn't it :rofl:

Wow @Lucyr, your medical history looks very similar to mine! I could have ticked off most of the bullet points in your post. It took them 5 years to take me off Metformin, which was doing nothing for me, and switch me to insulin only.

I would guess “low end of normal”, given you say you have unpredictable BGs, so maybe you are producing some insulin still.

Hope you get an interpretation of your results soon and a definite classification of type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back