getting ready to test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for all the support and advice.

I've decided to go back next week. I'm not happy about going on prozac, I'm inclined to agree with him that a pill wont make me feel any better. I'm not happy about stopping the amitriptyline as I take that for chronic pain (although it's original use as an anti-anxiety drug helps too), and even one day off them brings me back to full pain.

Edited to add: Having spoken to a couple of people I think I might ask about counselling, has anyone tried this since their diagnosis, did it help?

I'm going to see a different doctor as I noticed on our surgery's website that one of the other GPs has a special interest in diabetes. I'm going to ask her if she thinks dieticians will only tell me what I already know also.

BG wise, my morning BG has been in the 4s since I started testing - and that's with my midnight snack of a satsuma or two in bed :D

Switched to porridge since the 9.6 Special K reading, and it's been in the 6s since 🙂

And although I dont think she's a member here, a big thank you to my friend who gave me some test strips and lancets - which was really kind of her xx

Hey Lisa, those readings are really terrific! And it just shows the value of testing that replacing the Special K with porridge has made such an improvement - how can they possibly say testing is pointless, you've proved its worth in just a few days! Your waking levels are perfect, and in fact the satsumas may help a bit in avoiding the Dawn Phenomenon (where your liver tries to give you a boost of glucose in the mrning and pushes you high).

I know a few here would highly recommend counselling over drug therapy, so I'd say you've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'd also add that dieticians can be as variable as doctors, unfortunately - the more enlightened will have more in-depth knowledge, the more conventional will just spout the general, not personalised, advice - hope you can find a good un!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back