Frio or not to Frio???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqkie

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
We are going on holiday to Gran Canaria for Christmas so have purchased two "Frio" bags for storing Annabelle's insulin etc. I have been practising using them but I always seem to balloon them up too much and they never seem to get cold enough. HELP!!! What am I doing wrong, do I really need to take them or is there anything else I could use to keep everything cool?
X

will you have a fridge in your room? If so you could just use that. I have used frio bags before when I was off in the middle of no-where with no access to a fridge and they worked ok, I did tend to put them in water quickly and see how much they swelled up then put them in a bit more if needed.

Hi Jackque

Frio!

We took a couple to Spain in July and they were great. First of all, do not soak them for too long because that will make them balloon up too much. But if this does happen then they will deflate after a day or two. Secondly, I can tell you that they were great for us as it was very hot when we were over there, especially on the beach where your bags are so exposed. They kept his insulin cool enough but not as cool as the fridge. I have to say, we did throw left over insulin away when we got home as i did not like to put back in the fridge.

Word of warning, be careful where you pack them as they do tend to be a bit damp. Do not pack next to your plane tickets!!!!! 😱

I would say, give them a go and see what you think.

My son now on a pump but he was on mdi when we went to Spain.

Happy holiday, Happy Chrismas and good luck! 🙂

As Mand said don't over soak them or they will get too big. They aren't supposed to keep your insulin cold, but just cool and more at normal room temperature. I've used mine of 4 holidays and it's worked really well, was a really good investment.

A bit of climate data to help you decide - http://www.holiday-weather.com/gran_canaria/averages/december/ gives Weather Averages for Gran Canaria in DecemberAverage Temperature 70?f (21?c)
Average Low Temperature 61?f (16?c)
Average High Temperature 72?f (22?c)
Average Sea Temperature N/A (20?c)
Average Precipitation 41mm
Average Rainfall Days 8 Days
Average Daily Sunshine Hours 6 Hrs

Oceanic islands are generally cooler than continents, so although Gran Canaria is politcally part of Spain, its climate is very different to the mainland. I've travelled with insulin pretty widely in Latin America, Morocco, Sardinia, Portugal in all seasons, for trips up to 4.5 months etc and never bothered with Frio, nor thrown away any insulin as none got spoilt. I just kept insulin well wrapped up in clothing in hand luggage, kept out of direct sunshine (could use umbrella on beach, but I've never bothered), away from radiators & vehicle engines, not left in locked vehicles and put in fridge whenever possible.

I travelled around the world for a year and kept a years supply of insulin in them and they were a godsend. Practice the soaking and they do not keep insulin s cool as in a fridge but seriously stop it from getting too hot! I was in 32-40 degrees a lot of the time, insulin and I survived!

...I just kept insulin well wrapped up in clothing in hand luggage, kept out of direct sunshine (could use umbrella on beach, but I've never bothered)...

Not sure I'd want to risk a year's worth. I will be taking my insulin to oz in a couple of cool bags and ive bought a couple of frio bags (when I see them on offer!) for times I might be outside in the heat all day.

Wrapped up in clothing on the beach?? Katie, you are going to need something more 'conservative'!

Don't forget that insulin needs to go in HAND luggage, not in the hold where it could freeze!😱

what do you suggest? 😉

yes very annoying, my bag is going to be HEAVY! :D

I think, some airlines for the sake of medical equipment will allow two bags, one for medical supplies, I'd also include a very good supply of needles, spare pen and test strips, plus tablets in with that. And a needle clipper - then you can put the needle shell plus case in the waste bin, saves the problem of what to do with old needles.

You really need a good couple of weeks supplies in hand luggage, and don't forget repeat prescriptions from your GP in case you loose or run out of something - with an official prescription life is a lot easier to get replacements. Knowing the generic, not brand name for medication is also very important when going overseas.

Not sure I'd want to risk a year's worth. I will be taking my insulin to oz in a couple of cool bags and ive bought a couple of frio bags (when I see them on offer!) for times I might be outside in the heat all day.

Well, you wouldn't have a year's worth of insulin in your own fridge at home, so why would you take a year's worth abroard?!? Best to arrange to obtain insulin supplies in another country - Australia has good systems, admittedly you'll pay something rather than the nothing under the NHS, but a better solution, overall, I think.

I think, some airlines for the sake of medical equipment will allow two bags, one for medical supplies,
QUOTE]

I never even thought of enquiring about this :(

- what a good idea, :D thanks.

I think, some airlines for the sake of medical equipment will allow two bags, one for medical supplies,
QUOTE]

I never even thought of enquiring about this :(

- what a good idea, :D thanks.

It's always worth a call to the airline, or even better to security at the airport you're flying from. The one bag per passenger is generally a country by country enforcement, and the UK is still strict in general on this. As such the return flight is unlikely to cause you an issue.

It is also critical to have a general letter (e.g. not with specific dates) from your GP stating you need to travel with insulin, pens, needles, lancets etc. If you have any controlled drugs on prescription these under Home Office regulations have to be documented specifically with quantity, dates of travel, airports and flight numbers and times. DO NOT get this added to your generic diabetes letter.

Your GP may charge you for one or both of these letters, best if you need both to get the generic one done first and then the controlled substance one done later. They might not charge you for either.

The controlled drug one technically is required even if you aren't carrying the drugs with you, but if you've taken them recently or are wearing a patch of the drug you will have traces of it on you still.

When you consider how much duty free gets put in the cabin on each leg of the journey, one bag of medical supplies is unlikely to be an issue.

If they want to take the bag from you for 'storage in flight' make sure it it NOT going anywhere near the hold and will be in the cabin space - you will need it during the flight to inject, but insulin is 'killed' at very low and high temperatures.

Well, you wouldn't have a year's worth of insulin in your own fridge at home, so why would you take a year's worth abroard?!? Best to arrange to obtain insulin supplies in another country - Australia has good systems, admittedly you'll pay something rather than the nothing under the NHS, but a better solution, overall, I think.

I am taking a year's worth, it isn't a problem, there will be a fridge where i'm going.

I am taking a year's worth, it isn't a problem, there will be a fridge where i'm going.

Sounds like you have a good bit of forward planning there Katie! 😉 I think that also gives you a bit of flexability, you never know how you plans might change 🙂

I have used the Frio bags over the years, have gone though about 3 or 4 of them. They seem to stop doing their thing after a number of years.

I always use them on the beach for the pump as well. Not only do we put the pump in a sandproof case (the Medtronic water proof hard plastic one) but when Jessica is in swimming, we take the pump off, pop it in the Frio and into my ruck sack. This was in Majorca and in the USA.

Sounds like you have a good bit of forward planning there Katie! 😉 I think that also gives you a bit of flexability, you never know how you plans might change 🙂

Yeah, I might start travelling about and might go to do some fruit picking in the middle of nowhere and obviously I won't have my driver (mother) with me so it will be difficult to get to a doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back