Freestyle Libre - Sensor failure rate of 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed to the Freestyle Libre in September 2018 and I've had several fail. All before the first scan. I've actually had 2 fail this very day. If the sensors were £5 - £10 or my pharmacy wasn't as strict with giving me hem to me (it's 2 a month and if they fail...tough) I wouldn't mind buying a few spares myself bit at approx. £60.00 for 1...I can't afford that. They don't come with sonethsom like the Skin-Tac wipes to help them stay on either. It's just all very frustrating. Especially when I've just started the pump and being able to see the daily line graph and my averages etc. Is a massive help. Very dissapointed in the Freestyle Libre at the moment. When it's good it's great but when it's bad it's spectacularly awful!

Hello @RhiWJ welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with the Libre, what’s been happening ?

Some people use Tegaderm over the sensor to help keep it on, you need to cut a hole in anything you use to cover the sensor as the hole in the sensor is there to keep the skin under the sensor healthy and dry.
Personally I don’t cover mine with anything , I’ve just got very careful when going through doorways and place my sensor right round the back of my arm which means I apply and swipe my sensor under arm rather than going over the top.

Abbott are very good at replacing faulty sensors or readers so do give them a call, they will need the faulty ones back , they send a prepaid envelope.

As to your pharmacy not allowing you an extra sensor it may not be them , it’s possibly the prescriber eg one of your team or the gp that is limiting them , so do have a word with them . If that fails they can be bought cheaper from Abbott as they remove VAT as can your pharmacy, they are still dear though. To me it makes perfect sense to have a spare or two, I would hate to be without all that additional info. Atm Abbott are closed to new customers as they are dealing with a backlog and also dealing with launching a new s sensor system that has alarms , I am avidly waiting for it to become available in the UK.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble @RhiWJ

I’d agree with @Ljc - it’s certainly worth gettting in touch with Abbott about these failures so that they can troubleshoot the sensors and keep track of any lot numbers that are seeing more failures than expected.

I’ve been using Libre off and on since 2014, and I’ve had one (I think) end early in all that time. I’ve never had one fall off either. At the end of 2 weeks I have to carefully prise them off - they stick to me like a limpet. I do wonder if some people's skin and body chemistry just don’t suit different sensors.

Hope you find one that works for you, if Libre isn’t playing ball. Have you spoken to your hospital about Libre on prescription since the new national criteria came into force at the start of the month?

Ive been using Libre since May 2019 and overaall, it's brilliant very convenient i.e. easy to use on the golf course and just before and after my training sessions and 5 a side sessions, bth of which are high intensity even for me at nearly 69 years old.

There are differences between finger prick tests and its readings in both directions but these are expected so not a problem. The main problem I have had is that I've had the sensor start failing after about 10 days for most most of them. Abbott are brillant about replacing them but as soon as the readewr or the app says about mostly 5 days left then not every reading works. I think I've only had about 6 go right through without the error 373 (read again in 10 mins) happening. This obvously shows gaps in the daily graphs.

Having said that, I wouldn't change it, as it makes it very easy and convenient during those sorting sessions - and to convince my wife I'm not low or to show she's right (most of the time!!) but I wish it would last for the full expected timescale more often.

I wish it would last for the full expected timescale more often.

Welcome to the forum @JGJ

Sorry to hear you are finding the sensors end early quite often for you.

Do you wear them as recommended on the back of the arm? And do you ever use additional tape over the top to secure them?

Reactions: JGJ
Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
Over the past year, only 2 have fallen off, both after a warm bath. The warm water softens the adhesive. For that reason I don't bath anymore, I shower instead.

Never had one fall off, had 1 replaced due to reading low and I'm in the process of trying to obtain a replacement for current sensor, I'm going to have to change it tomorrow although it doesn't finish until Thursday as its been reading low since the beginning but today its been running at least 30% lower than finger pricks :( xx

Welcome to the forum @JGJ

Sorry to hear you are finding the sensors end early quite often for you.

Do you wear them as recommended on the back of the arm? And do you ever use additional tape over the top to secure them?

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.
Re the wearing placement, I tend to place them on the underside of my arm next to my side when arm next to my body. This helps for easier reading with mobile especially on the golf course and doing my volunteer work. For my weekly sporting activities (training session and 5 a side football), I occasionally wear one of those elbow brace bandages you can get in Poundland but just during the session. It's more of a preventive thing especially in the football as it's quite competitive.
I see some people are saying they've had them fall off. I've never had any do that. It's just the failing problem usually after 10 days and then having to decide whether to keep going with regular failed readings but still occasional successes (giving gaps in the daily graphs!) or change immediately so it's always there for me.

All of mine have always run full term, but I’ve seen some discussion on the Facebook Group where people have been taping sensors down very firmly (which some suggest can lead to problems).

I wonder if it might be worth trying on the back of the arm, rather than the inside (reaching around the outside to scan rather than under the arm)?

Can’t really explain why yours are failing early, and it must be frustrating for you.

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
I am currently at 50 % (1 out of 2) sensor failures. Spoke to Abbott today, the rep acknowledged a very high failure rate due to the following possibilities: shipment damaged on way to airport; shipment x-rayed at airport; damaged in transit by handling or temperature from airport, from warehouse, from point of sale; once at home. That’s why they replace them- they can, and do, fail often and for a myriad of reasons.

I am currently at 50 % (1 out of 2) sensor failures. Spoke to Abbott today, the rep acknowledged a very high failure rate due to the following possibilities: shipment damaged on way to airport; shipment x-rayed at airport; damaged in transit by handling or temperature from airport, from warehouse, from point of sale; once at home. That’s why they replace them- they can, and do, fail often and for a myriad of reasons.
They dont fail too often to be fair, I've been using them solid for a year and only needed 3 replacements xx

Welcome to the forum @mysticcowgirl

How long have you been using Libre? Like @Kaylz I get very few which need replacing, but I remember that in the first past I had (2014!) one worked much better than the other - at least in the first few days... and had I been told that half were likely to fail I could well have asked for a replacement. It settled down fine after 4 days though.

I guess if you’ve had a few dodgy ones early on, then the proportion is going to be skewed, until you’ve used more. Unless of course, the Libre just doesn’t suit you - we’ve some members here for whom the Libre just doesn’t work as expected. But for the vast majority of members here who use Libre the failure rate is quite low.

Welcome to the forum @mysticcowgirl .

I have used them for about three years and had only one fail. Another fell off as soon as I had put it on with no sticky, and one I dislodged by hitting a door frame. Otherwise very good, and so useful.
I hope that you find them useful too.

Hi Folks,
Hope all of you are Ok in these strange times.

Just a quick update from my previous posting re consistent sensor failure after about 10 days. From May up to the beginning of this year, I would say the failure rate of my sensors was about 80%, all after about 10 days usage and recurring message 373 telling me to try again in 10 mins. No problems with falling off or anything else people have mentioned here. Since then (and I'm touching a big block of wood here) they've all been fine.

During the problem times, I must thank Abbott for their speedy replacement of all the bad sensors. I also sent the them back as instructed for them to be checked. It's disappointing to have heard nothing back re possible failure reasons though.

I guess there was a bad batch manufactured as happens. Now I'm very happy with this method of checking my status - although, of course, the sporting side isn't necessary at the moment!!

You seriously expect any commercial company to appraise a customer of the reasons for a failure?

I - seriously! - wonder what their own contract terms with whoever make them, is? I've had to send a pump handset back twice cos they failed (same mfr, but different pumps) but as I had alternative glucometers in hand at the time, NP. I had a pump failure too with my first pump - but a bit later they published an alert warning all users not to do something I'd been doing for ages, so I concluded that WAS the reason mine failed - but I've no idea cos they never tell me either. Hence, you're not alone.

They have no idea whatever whether you, I or anyone else could make any trouble about it wherever we wanted to, do they!

Many years ago I sent a meter back to OneTouch, they never let me know if or what the problem was if any. I also had to send test strips back to them at the same time never had any feed back on them either.

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd revive this thread as I ordered the starter kit for my mother a few weeks ago. All was going well up until day 10, then no reading. My problem is that I have to rely on nurses to administer for my mother who is cared for at home in the UK (I am overseas), which makes life very difficult when things don't work as expected. I've already noticed that the nurses didn't attach the device properly and I am in the process of finding out whether they know what they are doing with the reader (they didn't even charge it). But from what I have read and seen, even a child could operate this thing. It would be disappointing if the sensors were still failing after all this time in the marketplace.

They do fail still, but Abbott have a fairly good track record of replacing,if they think it is a problem.Also if she got 10 days out of one I can't been that badly attached. I have had them not work from the start. They ask various questions, and may want to know serial number and where you got them from.
When you say nurses do you mean trained nurses or care workers? I doubt all of either have even seen one let alone be familiar with.

I had one a few months ago that worked absolutely fine for 10 days, then suddenly the reader gave me a 'Your sensor has stopped working' message. It was still firmly attached. I rang Abbot who didn’t seem surprised, and sent out a replacement, so I wonder if this is a known something that happens occasionally.

@jparrie
I imagine it would be very easy for carers to dislodge the sensor when they are bathing an elderly person or helping them dress. I have to always have it in my mind which arm my sensor is on when I get in the shower and be careful about not scrubbing that arm like I do the other one.... particularly as I like a hot shower and the heat can make the adhesive less stable. I pinged one off on it's second last day after a run when I pulled off my sweatshirt without taking enough care.

When you know the sensor is there you are generally more careful/protective of it, but carers are likely to forget about the sensor until perhaps they catch it. It may also be that your mother's skin is dry or not being prepped appropriately and after than period of time the skin under the sensor is starting to flake off. Once the sensor starts to lift a bit and the filament is dislodged slightly, it won't work.

I wonder if supplying an adhesive patch like Tegaderm to be applied over the sensor might improve it's lifespan for your mother. My gut feeling is that the failure is down to the situation that your Mum is in with carers or nurses looking after her and not being as aware/careful of the sensor as you would be yourself and it is getting knocked or snagged during everyday care. That is no criticism of the carers as even I forget which arm my LIbre sensor is on sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back