Freestyle libre coming unstuck

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As @Bruce Stephens and @Kaylz suggest - The central hole and the underside of the sensor’s grooves are designed to help the skin breathe, and improve skin health. At least... that was Abbott’s intention. They are consistent and clear that it shouldn’t be covered.

that’s not to say that several people don’t overtape and cover and report no problems. But there are also reports of skin reactions and manky skin aplenty. YDMV etc.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have to say I've been using them full time for a year now, when I first started I was always covering them with a Tegaderm as soon as I put it on as I was in and out of a dog cage with a poorly cat so didn't want to risk catching it on the cage, I suppose it just got to be habit and a bit of a security blanket thing for me but my last one I've left uncovered and its due to be changed tomorrow, bar it reading far too low compared to pricks today it hasn't been an issue having it uncovered, hopefully every other one will be the same from now on in xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all. Its usually only the last couple of days i notice it start to lift slightly around the edge of the sensor. It always feels secure so its more me being a bit panicky about it coming off. I might get some Tegaderm to keep in just for those times...give me a bit of reassurance.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I would, my newly applied sensor came off during the night! 15 hours I'd been wearing it, was gutted when I was woken by noisy neighbours just after 1am to find the sensor lying in bed next to me! :( xx

sololite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I've had 3 ping off in two years and each time I had accodentally caught them on something. After the first one came off I got in the habit of shaving the area of my arm before putting it on in case it helped with adhesion. Hope this helps

James B

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Skintac wipes are unbelievable there pricey but without them the sensor last about 8 days and then it just peels. To be honest though you can just ring abbot and they’ll send you them out if there falling off randomly my first two last 3 days and they replaced both of them. One of which was my own fault cuz I put some waterproof tape over it before I went in the shower and it wouldn’t come off after I mean I didn’t tell them that ... but call abbot they’ll help