Forum: 10 Years on - How it all began!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing this, fascinating to know how it all began! I’m SO grateful for the help, advice and support that has no only helped me control my diabetes but has changed my life completely :D

I found you guys via google having been evicted from hospital with mixed insulin and a leaflet and some very suspect dietary advice. Best thing that could have happened, honestly I’m not great at doing as I’m told so rebellion was inevitable, but it’s pretty scary to go off piste slightly even for a right stroppy mare like me 😉. Thanks to all of you and long may it continue to be a safe haven for us surfers :D

I found you guys via google having been evicted from hospital with mixed insulin and a leaflet and some very suspect dietary advice. Best thing that could have happened, honestly I’m not great at doing as I’m told so rebellion was inevitable, but it’s pretty scary to go off piste slightly even for a right stroppy mare like me 😉. Thanks to all of you and long may it continue to be a safe haven for us surfers :D
Lovely to hear from you KC 🙂 Thought of you this morning when posting my waking 8.<cough> 😱 😉 :D

@Northerner - are we going to have a party when you get to 100,000 posts? :D

You (and the other admin and mods) do a jolly good job actually, it must be tricky sometimes! You ought to have some sort of recognition for all your hard work and constant good advice 🙂

@Northerner - are we going to have a party when you get to 100,000 posts? :D

You (and the other admin and mods) do a jolly good job actually, it must be tricky sometimes! You ought to have some sort of recognition for all your hard work and constant good advice 🙂
Medals I think, or trophys? haha!

Medals I think, or trophys? haha!

Special hats? Some suggestions:

header_Schwarzwaldmaedel-vor-Muehle_656x492.jpg

upload_2018-10-17_21-17-34.jpeg

images

Hello peeps, have we really been running this long, doesn't time fly.

I am T2 and had been on tablet meds for approx 10 years, then moved onto insulin when the Forum opened. My sincerest thanks to Northern for all his help and support over the years. Without his guidence during those early years on insulin, I do not know HOW I would have managed.

Over the years, I have been priveledged to meet very special people at meets, from Glasgow to Brighton. I strongly recommend you go along to one, you will not regret it.

Wishing everyone well xxx

*waves at @KookyCat* I've missed seeing you post.

Hello peeps, have we really been running this long, doesn't time fly.
In December it'll be 4 years since I was diagnosed, and I'm still a newbie. Member Since: Jul 31, 2015; Messages: 2,648.

Mind you, there was the pub, and the cafe. The problem page didn’t get past the mods. To say nothing of the pole dancing club...
*sits up and looks round* Pole Dancing Cl..... *clears throat. Goes to made dinner*

It’s fascinating reading how this forum started. Thank god it did else I would have been in a dreadful state when I first went onto insulin as I would not have had the help , support and advise from the knowledgable people here.

I love the idea of a cyber party to celebrate this forums first 10 years.

It's nice to see some familiar faces that I've been missing posting in this thread.

Because I've been here so long a lot of people assume that I must have started the forum, but that's not the case. A lady who had been diagnosed since early childhood actually got the ball rolling because despite over 30 years of Type 1 diabetes she had never met another. Like me, she had found the available US-based forums to be not as useful as they might be, so approached Diabetes UK with the idea that they would help her launch a UK-based one. This initial approach was made, I believe, around two years before the forum actually launched as there was a lot of work done to select the appropriate software platform, establish the format and design, and testing to make sure everything functioned well.
It was at this time that the original founder asked me if I would stand in as Forum Administrator as she was expecting a baby, and I agreed. I've been in the role ever since! 😱 🙂 Hence my 90,000+ posts 😱 🙂
Good of you to stick with it Northerner. I would have had enough by now.
I've sometimes wondered how the founder faired.

Just checked and I joined on November 10th 2013. Lurked for a while, but so glad I joined in. I'll never forget how the encouragement, advice and experience on this forum made me able to question my diagnosis, and take action. This does not sound like much, but put into context of someone who hates conflict of any kind, likes to believe authority figures and felt so tired for 9 months that functioning through days at work, picking up kids, making dinner being a mum, whilst wading through treacle - your words got through. Your kindness got through. So thanks and here's to the next 10 years - providing they don't find that cure of course... 😉🙂

Last edited:
Post Diabetics Support haha!

Gee, here I am the longest active serving member, not sure about active in body now 🙄. These ten years have flown by and I must admit it has been a fantastic site of which I have been proud of being a member, although I do not post much I still pop on the forum every day signed in or not. I do miss a lot of the members I made friends with who have left for various reasons. One of the biggest high lights for me was when Northerner started organising the regular meets we had almost one every two months which were always well attended, it was during one of these meets that I developed a bond with him, and he became my Brother😱:D. In 11 days time I will have completed 10 years membership and to be honest after all that time I am still learning and am often grateful to newbies for some of their tips I see here. So remember it makes no difference if your number one member or 1001 member, we are all in it together and help one another and that's what has made and built this forum into the number one diabetic site for everyone.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back