Flying with pump + usual diabetic clobber?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a few tweets back from the excellent BMI feed and they have confirmed a note has been made of my D on my booking and that taking an extra bag is not a problem either.

Thanks for the inspiration to ask.

Thank you Steff. That's very kind.

I remember when Cadburys did a cheap-and-nasty "chocolate" bar that (to judge by the taste) was only about 5-10% cocoa solids -- it was revolting. 🙄 I'm told that Hersheys (US choc manufacturer) does something similar.

I don't think I've ever had Swiss chocolate (except Toblerone, which probably isn't the finest); my favourite choc is Ritter Sport (German), especially the Mandel (whole almonds) variety.

There's a Swiss choc that tastes very similar to Cadbury's, yuk. My favourite is Ovomaltine (Ovaltine) chocolate, made by Wander (I think now owned by Kraft :() and Migros (speak Tesco) own brand, so not the finest either. Actually, M&S sells swiss choc made by the same company who supply Migros. Toblerone is quite popular in Switzerland too, not just abroad 😉. Toblerone Fondue is divine (not that I've had that for a looong time). Lindt of course is the most famous, but I'm not particularly partial to it.

To be fair....my 200% TBR was to Antigua...it worked for me, I'm guessing I would still go 150% TBR on short flights.

I think I won't tell Carol to change. If it's not good, whe can always try it on the way home. We also have a 3-4 hour train trip to Manchester Airport included in our travels.

Hi all...well, we're back & finally through the holiday washing mountain lol!

Flying with Easyjet was FAB - I would fly with them again without reserve. I was able to take my normal hand luggage plus an extra bag full of my insulin, umpteen cannulas (always paranoid I'll need to use more than normal lol), spare pens/needles, test strips etc etc ad nauseum...no probs at all. I was ok to walk through the metal detector at Birmingham, they let me keep the pump on & just swabbed it. Flying was fine, in fact because my control is soooo much less erratic on the pump (less swings!) I felt so much better - it was less stressful not being so worried about either going hypo or busting for a wee with a high bg! Yay for pumps!!!

Coming back my attempt at French (I did get the phrase for insulin pump from a French diabetic friend!) may have raised some eyebrows, but they took me through without going through the metal detector, & just gave me my first ever pat down instead! 😱 Had to show them my pump (which was a tad embarrassing, as I'd pinned it to the side of my bra so it wouldn't dig into my toddler when she was on my lap - don't think they were counting on that lol! (Several people now emotionally scarred for life by the sight of my scary mummy tummy lol!!) but again, no probs.

Off the subject a tad, this was my second ever skiing hol - the first time I totally hated it; I was on injections & my control was crude at best, so high/low swings, getting left behind by group lessons whilst going hypo etc, etc...it took major persuasion from the other half to give it another go now I'm on the pump...and WOW! I 'get it' now! :D The improvements in my control have meant that I have been able to give it another go, & actually found it to be fun lol. I didn't have any major problems with adjusting to hotel eating times etc, travelling, altitude, the wonderful, blessed pump could deal easily with it all (Yes, I LOVE MY PUMP!!!) Sorry, tad amazed & delighted still...probably after another 15 yrs or so it'll wear off hehe!!

So all in all, went into this hol very nervous, but the difference the pump has made to my control & health in general has been awesome - if anyone out there is in any doubt about taking up an offer of a pump - GO FOR IT! :D

Really great to read such a positive post Twitchy.

Glad you had a good holiday 🙂

Great to hear that flying was basically a non-event and that you enjoyed skiing so much, Twitchy. Thanks for reporting back. 🙂

Glad you had a great time!! (I'm swiss and I still don't "get" skiing)

I'm pleased all went well flying. I can stop stressing now 🙂

Out of interest, Jet2 don't allow you to take any extra luggage for free. You can take an extra 10kg but you have to pay their standard charge of ?13.00. Oh and they asked that we faxed the doctors note beforehand so I am glad that I phoned to check!

To be honest, I can't really see the need for a 'free bag' to be checked in, all my Diabetes gear fits in a tupperware box and fits in my hand luggage no probs.

To be honest, I can't really see the need for a 'free bag' to be checked in, all my Diabetes gear fits in a tupperware box and fits in my hand luggage no probs.

Eeeek I'd never get all mine into a tupperware box, unless it was the size you'd store cereal in, and that would take up most of a rucksack! Fair play if you can manage it 🙂

There are incredibly few perks to having type 1, so if an airline says I can take an extra piece of baggage and I don't have to ram all of my stuff into 1 bag, I'll take the extra bit of luggage 🙂

Case in point: I'm going to the Diabetes UK Annual Professional Conference in Glasgow this year. Flying up with Easyjet, not checking in any bags as only 3 days up there, but being able to take the extra bag means I can carry lots of extra supplies in case something happens - and also means I can bring back loads of freebies from the conference 😉

Eeeek I'd never get all mine into a tupperware box, unless it was the size you'd store cereal in, and that would take up most of a rucksack! Fair play if you can manage it 🙂

There are incredibly few perks to having type 1, so if an airline says I can take an extra piece of baggage and I don't have to ram all of my stuff into 1 bag, I'll take the extra bit of luggage 🙂

Case in point: I'm going to the Diabetes UK Annual Professional Conference in Glasgow this year. Flying up with Easyjet, not checking in any bags as only 3 days up there, but being able to take the extra bag means I can carry lots of extra supplies in case something happens - and also means I can bring back loads of freebies from the conference 😉

...........I've also got big pockets! :D

I wanted to travel light too, but if this weather keeps up in Switzerland, I'll have to take boots and Fi wants to take her ski suit😱. Well, one handluggage each, we'll have to manage.....

Out of interest, Jet2 don't allow you to take any extra luggage for free. You can take an extra 10kg but you have to pay their standard charge of ?13.00. Oh and they asked that we faxed the doctors note beforehand so I am glad that I phoned to check!

Pah! Very disappointed with Jet2 - they need to get with the times of the other airlines - even Ryan air - who are known for their rigidity with the rules on size of bags etc let you take another for medical purposes for free!

I wanted to travel light too, but if this weather keeps up in Switzerland, I'll have to take boots and Fi wants to take her ski suit😱. Well, one handluggage each, we'll have to manage.....

Monica - you could always travel in your boots and Fi her ski suit; and a few extra layers of clothing - they cant stop you taking it all off once your aboard the plane 😉

Monica - you could always travel in your boots and Fi her ski suit; and a few extra layers of clothing - they cant stop you taking it all off once your aboard the plane 😉

I will travel in my boots, but as to wearing more than normal....
We will be travelling 4 hours by train to the airport. I don't fancy carrying loose clothing around, as we'll have to change trains twice (OH can't take us to the airport, nor will he be able to collect us). Plus it's a long walk from the station to security (I've already checked in).

Phil - I'm gobsmacked about your Tupperware container.

Now bearing in mind when going abroad we are told to take 2 x as much of everything as we know we'll need ... a box of cannulas measures 15ins x 3ins x 3 ins. There are 10 in a box; I change every 2 days so for a fortnight (x 2) that's 15 cannulas. The inserter. Sharps container (I use a smallish plastic thing with a 'childproof' lid on hol) I'd need 3 reservoirs. 4 pots of test strips. Spare meter. 2 vials of insulin - in a Frio obviously so that takes up much more room than just the insulin. At least 3 packets of 10 syringes. Oh, Ketostix. Some loose Sterets. And hypo remedies, including the good old jab, that's in the Frio with the insulin.

No Way Pedro would any of that go in the hold - let it out of my sight? - you must be joking.

Fortunately we usually go in our motorhome these days just to Europe so I have half a locker that's just my junk. But when we go to Oz again (which we will) we may go for a whole month so it'll be the pits carting all that lot.

Much more junk than there ever was on MDI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back