Flu Jabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aymes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just thought I'd put a quick note up to remind everyone it's flu jab (not of the swine variety) season again! I went into my sugery yesterday to be greated by lots of signs telling me to book in. All diabetics should be entitled to a free flu jab so figured a timely reminder if you're someoen who wants one could be useful.

My surgery are doing them in 2 minute slots so I have a very precise 238pm appointment time for next week,

I expect to be called this time. I went to GP last week and found that I wasn't marked on their system as a diabetic so wouldn't have been called. I will get the jab as I have done every year.

oh thanks for the reminder, i got a letter the other day and put it to one side to deal with later!!!!!

Will call to make apt

Julie x

Now, I've been wondering about this. Do you have to book one yourself, will you be sent a letter or does it vary from practice to practice? Hmm...
I imagine it depends on the practice.
I get a letter from mine telling me to book it.

Now, I've been wondering about this. Do you have to book one yourself, will you be sent a letter or does it vary from practice to practice? Hmm...

I got a letter from my surgery last year with some optional dates (all Saturdays). I think I heard on the TV the other day that we will get two jabs this year, one for swine flu and one for whatever other flu is knocking around.

Thanks for the reminder ...

Nathan's Doctors surgery is starting to take appointments from the 23rd sept ..

Heidi
xx:D

Our surgery is only doing the one jab

Appts start from 7.10.09, Dad and I get it done on the 2nd Saturday in Oct.

Seems late - but our surgery is always October.

Just means you need to keep clear of anyone with colds/flu before October

Worth it though

Hazel

Swine flu vaccine won't be ready until some time in October. When it is ready, it will need 2 jabs, 1 of which can be given at the same time as single seasonal flu jab.

I asked my surgery nurse and she said I had to ring up for an appointment.

Plus the H1N1 is two jabs in itself, as far as I know!
Oh. H1 one day and N1 the next? :D

I'm sure it must vary. With my surgery they put lots of signs up and you book yourself in. If you don't book yourself in they then send you a letter later.

I think I heard on the TV the other day that we will get two jabs this year, one for swine flu and one for whatever other flu is knocking around.

Yep, there'll be the one they're starting now with is the annual flu jab. When the swin flu one is ready there will be a roll out. At the moment it loks like the swine flu one will be two jabs, although I have read some speculation that they believe one may offer satisfactory immunity, I guess it's all still up in the air at the moment.

As a newbie, can I please ask WHY diabetics need to have the flu jab? Why are we more prone to catching flu?

Apart from now having diabetes (or should I say, now being diagnosed!) I'm really healthy, HARDLY ever get coughs and colds - but now the diabetes is in my 'make-up' am I more likely to start getting them, and flu to boot?

Cheers

xx

As a newbie, can I please ask WHY diabetics need to have the flu jab? Why are we more prone to catching flu?

Apart from now having diabetes (or should I say, now being diagnosed!) I'm really healthy, HARDLY ever get coughs and colds - but now the diabetes is in my 'make-up' am I more likely to start getting them, and flu to boot?

Cheers

xx

We're not more likely to catch flu. It's more that if we do catch flu it is likely to have a negative effect on diabetes control (in many cases quite significantly) and we may have more difficulty fighting it off so it's better to avoid it in the first place!

We're not more likely to catch flu. It's more that if we do catch flu it is likely to have a negative effect on diabetes control (in many cases quite significantly) and we may have more difficulty fighting it off so it's better to avoid it in the first place!

Oh, well that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

xx

Are you saying pigs CAN really fly ??

flypig.gif

Just thought I'd put a quick note up to remind everyone it's flu jab (not of the swine variety) season again! I went into my sugery yesterday to be greated by lots of signs telling me to book in. All diabetics should be entitled to a free flu jab so figured a timely reminder if you're someoen who wants one could be useful.

My surgery are doing them in 2 minute slots so I have a very precise 238pm appointment time for next week,

Dam it! Not sure I can be arsed to go (just tired really thats all!) but from what you all tell me it's probably best! No doubt next time I see me old Ma, she'll be banging on about it, have you seen your doctor for your flu jab yet, why not ??? And wifey said yesterday when did you last see your mother??
Maybe I should surprise her and get it done sooner, cheers for the heads up Aymes:D

Dam it! Not sure I can be arsed to go (just tired really thats all!) but from what you all tell me it's probably best! No doubt next time I see me old Ma, she'll be banging on about it, have you seen your doctor for your flu jab yet, why not ??? And wifey said yesterday when did you last see your mother??
Maybe I should surprise her and get it done sooner, cheers for the heads up Aymes:D

haha im the same. My nan goes on and on about getting the jab because she's old so has to get it too 😉 I havent had it for a few years now, I just tell her ive been lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back